• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL L100 Reissue - $4000

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
The Art Institute alone is worth the trip. Trust me on this, it stands with the finest in the world.

So I've heard.

But Chicago as tourism city vs St. Petersburg, Bilbao, Berlin, Rome, Tokyo, Shanghai, or London is a different matter entirely.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I'd put it in that group.

None of which are my favorite tourism cities, but I understand their attraction. Given my background, I tend to gravitate toward top art museums as a high priority for places to visit.

(FWIW, my favorite tourism cities are Lyon, Hong Kong, Alba, Amsterdam, Vienna, and Prague)

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Mr Argument: Too funny. You are a piece of work. You have no idea who I am, how much I know, and it is you who are trying to impress people. Who cares if you are successful? Who cares how much you paid for your speakers? I don't. I don't care to devolve this into a pissing match. Because there is no end to that. And, it means nothing.

I know what I know based on decades of experience listening to many, many systems at widely varying price levels. And, there is no way to objectively qualify any of it. What I dislike is when people do exactly what this example did...start out with a premise, and then go off tangent talking about unrelated stuff. And, when someone offers a comment on a real world listening event, and intends to actually purchase the item, they are somehow expected to offer up "proof".

If you think that can be found by reading comments about 30 year old, unrelated speakers, by all means, go ahead and accept that. I hope you enjoy your financial success in life, and find ways to help others.

This will be my last post in this thread. You insulted me and some other folks in your initial posts here. Further, in relation to me, you broached the subject of money (with your remarks about envy), which is best avoided, and you then implied that I brought it up.

Acceptance of a listener's subjective impressions is not automatic here, and while a purchase is perhaps greater evidence of a product's value than listening alone, subjective impressions and purchases both are very ineffective evaluation methods for audio equipment.

If you want to learn, you came to the right place. The most knowledgeable folks in all of audio have posted here, including Dr. Floyd Toole, Prof. Edgar Choueiri, and, of course, Amir. The enthusiasts here are the smartest I've encountered. (Look at this, for instance.) I'd suggest that you try to learn here, and others will generously help you by sharing knowledge or even measuring your equipment for free.

If you want agreement and congratulations, another forum beckons, and it banned some of us for not going along to get along. :)

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor

None of which are my favorite tourism cities, but I understand their attraction. Given my background, I tend to gravitate toward top art museums as a high priority for places to visit.

(FWIW, my favorite tourism cities are Lyon, Hong Kong, Alba, Amsterdam, Vienna, and Prague)

Prague has never grown on me, TBH. I prefer Budapest and, of course, Vienna, amongst the old Hapsburg capitals.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor

I’m going to Prague in March , any recommendations?

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The Hermitage is truly astonishing compared to anywhere else I have been.
IMO speakers need a home demonstration, that means, for me, only choosing from products supplied by dealers who are prepared to do one for me.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I’m going to Prague in March , any recommendations?

For art, of course there's the Kampa (modern art orientation). Music, well... some of the greatest street musicians I've ever encountered. The Municipal Hall is a superb place to see a formal concert, but there's a bazillion small venues (e.g., Church of St. Simon and Jude).

My favorite area to just walk around is the district around the Karluv bridge (and much great street music there). I had a most amusing encounter with a streetwalker near there. And it was hard to find anything less than an excellent meal at any mom and pop hole-in-the-wall restaurant that I stumbled into.

For you particularly, I'd recommend the Sex Machine Museum and the Beer Museum.

D

Deleted member 4360

Back in the day, my sister had L100's connected to a McIntosh 2205 and whatever the preamp was - it was awesome!... I was 14, it was probably Zep II playing, and I was stoned... yup, it was awesome!

bigx5murf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I just restored a pair of Pioneer HPM-500. This entire line was designed by the same people who designed the original L100. The HPM-100/900/1100 were directly aimed at the L100. I'm actually surprised by how good these sound, and I'm very interested in hearing the L100 now.

maty

Major Contributor
Subjective reviews:

* http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0319/JBL_L100_Classic_Loudspeaker_Review.htm

* https://hometheaterreview.com/jbl-synthesis-l100-classic-reviewed/

* https://www.whathifi.com/reviews/jbl-l100-classic

and today:

* https://www.stereo.net.au/reviews/review-jbl-l100-classic-loudspeakers

Review with measurements:

* https://7review.com/jbl-l100-classic-review/

Pictures optimized.

JBL-L100-CLASSIC-Review-graph-1-767x440.jpg

Graph 1. Frequency response. Trace below 1.2kHz is the averaged result of nine individual frequency sweeps measured at three metres, with the central grid point on-axis with the tweeter using pink noise test stimulus with capture unsmoothed. This has been manually spliced (at1.2kHz) to the gated high-frequency response, an expanded view of which is shown in Graph 2.

JBL-L100-CLASSIC-Review-graph-4-767x456.jpg

Graph 4. Low frequency response of front-firing bass reflex port (red trace), woofer (black trace) and midrange driver (green trace). Nearfield acquisition. Port/woofer levels not compensated for differences in radiating areas.

JBL-L100-CLASSIC-Review-graph-5-767x446.jpg

Graph 5. Impedance modulus of showing impedance with both level controls set to Max (green trace), 0dB (black trace) and Min (blue trace).

JBL-L100-CLASSIC-Review-graph-6-767x451.jpg

Graph 6. Averaged in-room frequency response using pink noise test stimulus with capture unsmoothed. Trace is the averaged result of nine individual frequency sweeps measured at three metres, with the central grid point on-axis with the tweeter.

JBL specifies the L100 Classic as being nominally a 4ohm design, and Newport Test Labs’ measurements of it bear that out, though they also show that it will be nominally 4ohm only if you set the level controls at 0dB or higher. If you choose to set the level controls below the 0dB mark, the impedance dips to 3ohm at 550Hz, to 2.5ohm at 2kHz and to 2.4ohm at 4.6kHz. Given that the frequency response is the ‘best’ at 0dB and higher, there should be no good reason to set the level controls any lower....

Last edited:

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Review with measurements:

* https://7review.com/jbl-l100-classic-review/

Pictures optimized.

View attachment 31998

Graph 1. Frequency response. Trace below 1.2kHz is the averaged result of nine individual frequency sweeps measured at three metres, with the central grid point on-axis with the tweeter using pink noise test stimulus with capture unsmoothed. This has been manually spliced (at1.2kHz) to the gated high-frequency response, an expanded view of which is shown in Graph 2.

Thanks for this. That review is very enthusiastic about the bass in the text/listening impressions. A bit surprising given the response curve. That being said, this looks like a very very decent speaker for the price (given the current context).

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've read that these cost pretty much the same as the originals, inflation adjusted. When I bought my L100 in '76 or thereabouts, they were running 600 dollars plus or minus. I don't recall exactly, but I think I paid about that. According to the CPI calculator, that would be 3 large. Made in California.

These JBLs are shipped from Indonesia. You might possibly think that for four thousand retail dollars JBL could make them in America, and still have a handsome profit? I guess not. I mean, there's not much to making a three speaker box. And the fit and finish of this doesn't look as nice as the originals. Certainly not better.

On the other hand, as a world wide product (I'm guessing most of these are selling to the Asian market), Indonesian manufacturing is likely a sure win for Samsung. But what I don't understand is why they are so expensive when made in Indonesia? I've read the average wage in Indonesia is about fifty cents an hour. Just seems like a lot for what is obviously a modern take on retro. And stands optional.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Thanks for this. That review is very enthusiastic about the bass in the text/listening impressions. A bit surprising given the response curve.

Looks like the box is tuned to 34 Hz, and given that it's not likely to be overdamped (note that the upper frequency peak in the bass range impedance is lower in amplitude than the lower frequency peak), I have questions about the accuracy of their in-room bass measurement.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For this price I think that the new KEF R11 column, with the little 5.25" coaxial, is better choice to play all kind of music.

https://www.soundstagehifi.com/index.php/equipment-reviews/1300-kef-r11-loudspeakers

Measurements: https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/i...&catid=77:loudspeaker-measurements&Itemid=153
I would not argue against, or for, anything like that. Speakers are really the only remaining significantly subjective component out there. Unless one considers the room, which cannot often be corrected. Get what you like, and enjoy it. I'm sure the KEF is a fine example of what can be done with that form factor and at that price point.

Back in the day it was pretty common to find really bad, or at least really compromised loud speakers. Some would say the L100 was 'really bad'. LOL. Today I think most speakers are generally of better sound. On the other hand, I do question super expensive (anything over 20 or 30 thousand dollars) 3 or 4 way box speakers that don't appear to offer a whole lot more over something cheaper--maybe other than unusually nice cabinetry. But that's just my own value judgement coming to play.

When I read 'subjective' speaker reviews I don't mind. What I don't like are subjective amplifier reviews, where the reviewer is writing as if he is auditioning a loudspeaker.

As far as cost, I can only presume that JBL is 'padding' the wallet at four thousand dollars. That is fine. Buyer beware in all purchasing decisions. I also have no problems with intrinsic quality of Indonesian items. For example, a lot of electric guitars are made in Indonesia, having excellent fit and finish. China, too. Well...you might have to replace cheapo pots and switches... that is to be expected at the Indonesian price point. I'm sure that for several thousand dollars Samick could make you a Les Paul clone as nice as whatever is coming out of Memphis--in fact, given some of the stuff that has been coming out of Memphis, probably a lot better. Edit PS: Evidently Memphis is no more. It's all Nashville.

Last edited:

maty

Major Contributor
My older and bigger speakers have three ways and rear bass-reflex, with a 27cm / 10.7" woofer. With music, my modded KEF Q100 5.25" coaxial speakers of my second system are much better to play music.

I LOVE the little 5.25" KEF coaxial. Bigger KEF 6.5" coaxial sound more like traditional speakers, OK with TV, films or modern music without acoustic instruments.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I would not argue against, or for, anything like that. Speakers are really the only remaining significantly subjective component out there. Unless one considers the room, which cannot often be corrected. Get what you like, and enjoy it. I'm sure the KEF is a fine example of what can be done with that form factor and at that price point.
Yep, one mans ceiling is another mans floor.
In any case the L100 isn't presented as JBL's shot at the audiophile market, more a nostaliga piece. I did hear them last August at the Tampa show and thought them an impressive little box. But I'm sure if you were to ask, JBL would point you to other speakers in the JBL and Revel lines as "audiophile" stuff more comparable to the KEF's R11 targeting.

Vintage57

Forum Donor

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom