• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL L100 Reissue - $4000

tomelex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
This new L100 is quite different from the original and probably closer in sound to a 4412 or LSR6332 than to a L100 or 4310.
The original L100/4310/4311/4312 had no electrical low pass, and a specific woofer and alignment that gave that "west coast" boost in the bass.
This version has an electrical low pass, and probably a more civil LF alignment given the woofer they use (a 1200FE variant, probably the best 12" HIFI woofer ever produced by JBL).
The tweeter is also a titanium unit, whereas the original L100 had a paper dome tweeter with a more rolled off HF response.

Yes, I agree. The thing with those speakers, is you have to adjust the mid and high freq pots to "tune" them into how you like your sound, out of the box at the settings they came at as I recall they were great for "rock" but if you wanted to hear symphony you needed to tune those pots to get the sound to come in, I enjoyed them, well, my roommate at the time had them, I had the JBL150A a decade later and also "tuned" them as well, so I would say they are quite versatile due to the tuning you can do. Interesting to bring back an 'updated" classic.

Fitzcaraldo215

Major Contributor
I think, aside from any engineered-in hifi boom, sizzle, etc. with the L100 and some other ported or horn speakers, there was a major reason they sold well. They were typically more efficient than many other speakers, like sealed, acoustic suspension ones. They played louder in comparative demo, and, of course, dealers didn't bother to level match, except maybe a little bit by ear, maybe with a little deliberate skew to the one they wanted you to buy. Bingo, another $ale.

tomelex

Forum Donor
and, these speakers sold well because people liked their sound, lets not forget that, as they were always a step up in price from the "every day" speakers....such as all the Japanese stuff etc.

Valentin R

I had a chance to hear them and definitely it is a very good modern speaker (retro look)
and once again it will be a speaker that gives you dynamics with its hi ish sensitivity and very low distortion
And very good dispersion and seamless transition between drivers

It is a modern/retrolook fun too hear speaker

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I had a chance to hear them and definitely it is a very good modern speaker (retro look)
and once again it will be a speaker that gives you dynamics with its hi ish sensitivity and very low distortion
And very good dispersion and seamless transition between drivers

It is a modern/retrolook fun too hear speaker

I think "high ish" sensitivity is the operative word -- 90 dB is definitely higher than average these days, but not what I'd call "game changing" like you get with >96 dB.

Also, the -6 dB point at 40 Hz is pretty ho hum for 12" woofer.

And lastly the titanium dome tweeter seems very out of place for a retro inspired reissue.

If I wanted high efficiency retro, for similar money, I think I'd lean towards a Klipsch Cornwall III....

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
If I wanted high efficiency retro, for similar money, I think I'd lean towards a Klipsch Cornwall III....
Cornwalls for extended low bass response, although maybe not quite the tight cleanliness you'd get from the La Scala's horn loaded bass section.
You decide the trade-off that best works for you. ;)

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Cornwalls for extended low bass response, although maybe not quite the tight cleanliness you'd get from the La Scala's horn loaded bass section.
You decide the trade-off that best works for you. ;)

Yeah, but that's like 2x the price of the JBL reissues...

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

pos

Forum Donor

And lastly the titanium dome tweeter seems very out of place for a retro inspired reissue.

That 12" woofer is a pretty competent one to say the least, clearly not the kind of stamped frame woofers you find in the typical vintage Klipsch speaker ;)
It is not high efficiency, but that woofer is top notch for the intended frequency range. I has very low distortion, silent excursion (more silent than many 15" I have tried), and is remarkably well behaved in all aspects. It would benefit from a bigger box than what that speaker provides tho...

Regarding tweeter material, I guess it depends on what you call vintage but JBL started using titatium tweeters with the first 4312 revision, the 4312a, back in 1986.

Wombat

Master Contributor
That 12" woofer is a pretty competent one to say the least, clearly not the kind of stamped frame woofers you find in the typical vintage Klipsch speaker ;)
It is not high efficiency, but that woofer is top notch for the intended frequency range. I has very low distortion, silent excursion (more silent than many 15" I have tried), and is remarkably well behaved in all aspects. It would benefit from a bigger box than what that speaker provides tho...

Regarding tweeter material, I guess it depends on what you call vintage but JBL started using titatium tweeters with the first 4312 revision, the 4312a, back in 1986.

JBL and Altec were developing great loudspeakers when most other manufacturers were still in nappies(diapers) in comparison.

Klipsch tried to match them on-the-cheap. He did it somewhat well but his claims for his smaller bass horns were exaggerated. His K-horns sounded impressive but were seen to be compromised in subsequent horn performance development realisations.

Last edited:

Valentin R

I think "high ish" sensitivity is the operative word -- 90 dB is definitely higher than average these days, but not what I'd call "game changing" like you get with >96 dB.

May be 110dB. @60Hz With out any power compresion and very low distortion is a no do for you.

Not many hifi speakers @ that price point can pull that one off

Some times small voltage measurements do not show the whole picture

Last edited:

pos

Forum Donor
I though this was just a white variant of the 1200Fe (think 128H vs 128H-1), but it appears the magnet structure is different indeed.
I would love to see the EDS of that driver, looks like a 1200Fe on steroid, with a longer magnet gap maybe.
That might make it easier to align in a small enclosure.

pos

Forum Donor
Based on the same size "1200 FE series unit" used for studio monitors "4428", "4429", and "4312 SE" etc., the newly developed Woofer unit for the 300 mm bass range "JW 300 PW - 8" Things aimed at. Review and optimize each component of the magnetic circuit to improve efficiency, reduce induced inductance and improve nonlinearity of operation. JBL proprietary SFG Magnetic Circuit Short Ring is also optimized using the latest analytical techniques to form a stricter target magnetic field.

Valentin R

I had the opportunity to chat with Chris Hagen
He is very excited about this unit and the outcome of the L100 Classic
He is very passionate of his work
Hope too meet him again some time and learn. More

Attachments

• 8DA47F8C-3EF2-4DA8-BA03-9A798BA1B3FB.jpeg
    8DA47F8C-3EF2-4DA8-BA03-9A798BA1B3FB.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 551

Juhazi

Major Contributor
Bass tuning serves high ouutput and low distortion. OK choice for disco, but for home... Obviously people at Harman were afraid that these will be abused and don't want to receive reclamations of blown woofers...

D

Deleted member 5256

Happy new year all! I'm disappointed to join a new forum, and then become negative. Especially at the start of a new year. I chanced upon this thread, and against my best judgement decided to post a reply. In a few words, this whole thread is indicative of some of the negative aspects of the web. A huge exchange of mostly worthless comments and information, most of which isn't well informed or even accurate. Or on target. The OP started out commenting that he couldn't make sense of the price of the new JBL speakers, at $4000. Okay, I get that. In the entire thread, there was only about 2 comments from people who have heard the speakers.

Well, I have heard them, and listened to them carefully on equipment ranging from $10,000 ARC tube gear, to Emotiva, to McIntosh, to PS Audio. I went to my favorite audio store to listen to other speakers, and to look for a tube preamp. The first listen to the new JBLs was just for fun, and based on the suggestion of the store owner. I've owned many of the speakers people mentioned in this thread, such as Cornwalls, other JBL products, KEF, etc. And many, many others. Who really gives a crap about comparing old Rectilinear, Klipsch, etc to these speakers? Wasn't the thread about a $4000 re-issue?

Why don't you go listen to a pair, and then comment?

So, want to know what I found? It has nothing to do with what the actual definition of "high efficiency" is. They sound great. In my mind, nothing like the originals. Certainly no boom or screech. They are very dynamic, and they grab your attention, and hold it. They do not become wearisome after a couple hours of listening. They sound fabulous on 60 watt amps that are solid state, and killer on $6000 McIntosh gear. They play low enough that I wouldn't bother for one minute with a subwoofer, and I have several in my current system. The cabinets are solid, and well made. The tweeter is excellent. They have a very convincing and satisfying sound stage. There is no horn honk, screech, or any other such thing often attributed to older speakers like JBL, or for that matter, Klipsch.

Like I said, I did not go to that store to listen to JBLs. In fact, I've listened to their more expensive offerings at $7k, $10k, etc, and I don't like them at all. I would not put a pair in my home even if my friend sold them to me below cost. But, I'm going to buy a pair of the re-issues. They do many, many things very well. I wish they were a different shape, wish that they were less money, wish that there were options for other colors, etc. But there aren't. The bottom line is they are a great sounding speaker that could fit a lot of requirements for a lot of people. If what you want to do is to trot out every 30-50 year old example of what something else sounded like, do everyone a favor and start a different thread. Or, go listen to a pair, and then chime in.

Have a great day all.

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Happy new year all! I'm disappointed to join a new forum, and then become negative. Especially at the start of a new year. I chanced upon this thread, and against my best judgement decided to post a reply. In a few words, this whole thread is indicative of some of the negative aspects of the web. A huge exchange of mostly worthless comments and information, most of which isn't well informed or even accurate. Or on target. The OP started out commenting that he couldn't make sense of the price of the new JBL speakers, at $4000. Okay, I get that. In the entire thread, there was only about 2 comments from people who have heard the speakers.

Well, I have heard them, and listened to them carefully on equipment ranging from $10,000 ARC tube gear, to Emotiva, to McIntosh, to PS Audio. I went to my favorite audio store to listen to other speakers, and to look for a tube preamp. The first listen to the new JBLs was just for fun, and based on the suggestion of the store owner. I've owned many of the speakers people mentioned in this thread, such as Cornwalls, other JBL products, KEF, etc. And many, many others. Who really gives a crap about comparing old Rectilinear, Klipsch, etc to these speakers? Wasn't the thread about a $4000 re-issue?

Why don't you go listen to a pair, and then comment?

So, want to know what I found? It has nothing to do with what the actual definition of "high efficiency" is. They sound great. In my mind, nothing like the originals. Certainly no boom or screech. They are very dynamic, and they grab your attention, and hold it. They do not become wearisome after a couple hours of listening. They sound fabulous on 60 watt amps that are solid state, and killer on $6000 McIntosh gear. They play low enough that I wouldn't bother for one minute with a subwoofer, and I have several in my current system. The cabinets are solid, and well made. The tweeter is excellent. They have a very convincing and satisfying sound stage. There is no horn honk, screech, or any other such thing often attributed to older speakers like JBL, or for that matter, Klipsch.

Like I said, I did not go to that store to listen to JBLs. In fact, I've listened to their more expensive offerings at $7k, $10k, etc, and I don't like them at all. I would not put a pair in my home even if my friend sold them to me below cost. But, I'm going to buy a pair of the re-issues. They do many, many things very well. I wish they were a different shape, wish that they were less money, wish that there were options for other colors, etc. But there aren't. The bottom line is they are a great sounding speaker that could fit a lot of requirements for a lot of people. If what you want to do is to trot out every 30-50 year old example of what something else sounded like, do everyone a favor and start a different thread. Or, go listen to a pair, and then chime in.

Have a great day all.

Your post is "indicative of some of the negative aspects" of the audiophile web. Though these new JBLs are probably fine, we're accustomed to seeing audiophiles shower praise on loudspeakers that are incompetently designed on the basis of listening sessions. Some listeners have a good sense of what they're hearing, but your post gives no indication that you have any idea what competently designed gear sounds like. In fact, your search for a tube preamp suggests that you perhaps like the sound of distortion, which most of us here endeavor to eliminate from our systems.

Thus, to hear you say that you listened to these JBLs and liked them gives us no information. Your post is worthless commentary, unlike some of the more informative posts above.

If you want to say nice things about luxury audio gear and be congratulated for your purchases, other forums may be a better fit.

Happy New Year.

Top Bottom