• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL L100 Classic stands

PappyBlue

Forum Donor
My JBL L100 Classic are sitting on the recommended JBL JS-120 stands. According to marketing litterature : "Exclusively designed to accommodate JBL L100 Classic speakers, the steel JS-120 stands offer dedicated support and place the speakers at an optimal position. Specifically, the low-profile stands situate L100 Classic at a calculated angle that optimizes the directional axis of the tweeter to the listening position – enhancing frequency response, imaging, soundstaging, and detail. Plus, L100 Classic looks great on these stands."

Shx3jQVbENfBGFkrhiizbX.jpg

I agree that they look great on these stands, but I do wonder if this is really the "optimal position" for the L100. Wouldn't it be better if they were standing "straight" on "normal" stand (i.e. not angled) ?

1226128-04cab6d6-foundation-harbeth-monitor-401402-speaker-stand.jpg

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
You could always put a few pieces of wood under the rear stand's feet to "level" the speakers and have a listen. See what you think.

HammerSandwich

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Either that claim is marketing BS, or they provide a bunch of extra detail in the manual.

If JBL's stand aligns the reference axis exactly parallel to the floor, all listeners would need their ears at the exact same height. If the axis is tilted, then the horizontal distance between speaker & ear would be another variable.

OP
PappyBlue

PappyBlue

Forum Donor
You could always put a few pieces of wood under the rear stand's feet to "level" the speakers and have a listen. See what you think.
The stands are only about 6" high, the tweeter would be way under my ears. I would need 16" stands, which are not very common.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
The stands are only about 6" high, the tweeter would be way under my ears. I would need 16" stands, which are not very common.

They looked taller than that. Fair enough, get them up on a few milk crates and have a listen. If it's better, lash out on some stands maybe.

OP
PappyBlue

PappyBlue

Forum Donor
They looked taller than that. Fair enough, get them up on a few milk crates and have a listen. If it's better, lash out on some stands maybe.
Good idea, I will try to find milk crates!

By the way, the L100 are really "fun" speakers. A local dealer was selling his demo pair at a very attractive price. I thought it would be fun to try them but I never expected that they would replace my Dynaudio Focus 340... After a few weeks with the L100, I could not go back to the Focus 340. I love the 12" woofer!!

Top Bottom