• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL EON610/710 Hiss

monkeyboy

Does anyone own either of these?
If so could you provide some feedback on how bad the hiss is?...I contacted JBL directly and they say there is no hiss in the EON products...I find that hard to believe...

Thank you

More Dynamics Please

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Try a web search for JBL Eon hiss. There's been discussion about it on various pro audio forums.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
IIRC, @richard12511 tried a pair and said it was so bad they couldn't even be used at living room distances.

Catalo

I’ve tested quite a few active monitors/PA speakers in my living room at 2-3m listening distance, and I wasn’t able to tolerate the hiss of any of the “PA” speakers. Here’s my subjective “hiss list” ranking.

Almost 0 hiss:
Neumann KH310
KRK RP5 gen4

Negligible hiss:
Genelec 8330
JBL 708P
Kef LS50 Wireless gen1

Noticeable hiss:
JBL 305p mk2 (too much for me to tolerate but maybe ok for some)

Unacceptable hiss:
JBL IRX108BT
JBL Eon 610
JBL SRX835P (very loud hiss and fan noise)

Tom C

Major Contributor
I’ve got an Eon 610 in my basement. I am not sensitive to hiss. I can hear it if I stick my ear on the speaker, up to maybe 1 foot away. Further than that, I just don’t hear it. I have the master volume at 50% (12:00), and the input gain set at 9:00, which is less than 25%.
I am very happy with it. My 28 year old son was visiting over Christmas, he also liked the system very much. Lots o’ fun.

OP
M

monkeyboy

Thank you for the responses....

This is the response I received from JBL when I asked...

Should be no hiss coming from the speaker.
Hiss in the sound is likely caused by improper gain structure, like when mixer controls are set very low or have a noisy source device connected.

I'm also considering the Yamaha DXR8 MkII and QSC CP8...none of them give a spec on self noise or hiss...

More Dynamics Please

I'm also considering the Yamaha DXR8 MkII and QSC CP8...none of them give a spec on self noise or hiss...
Sound On Sound was impressed with the CP8 and described self noise like this in their review:

QSC have a reputation for producing quiet active speakers, and there was very little (as in ear-to-the-grille virtually inaudible) background noise or hiss from the CP units when idling; power-up and down was an almost silent process with auto-mute on the audio signal, and I like the way the input level controls go all the way down to nothing.

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/qsc-cp-series

Catalo

Following up on my previous post, when I listen for hiss, I have no source connected and turn the gain knob on the speaker all the way down (basically just have the speaker powered on.) The JBL PA speakers are definitely fun, and the hiss isn't so bad when the music is cranked :)

dasdoing

Major Contributor
has anybody tried just canceling hiss out? you could have a permanant noise generator sitting in the backgound playing inverted

OP
M

monkeyboy

I ended up buying a Yamaha DBR10 and I'm very happy with it. Very slight hiss with no input connected and gain cranked to the max. I can hear it at a few inches but not out at a foot or so. I just pulled the trigger on a second to use in as home theater speakers.

More Dynamics Please

I ended up buying a Yamaha DBR10 and I'm very happy with it. Very slight hiss with no input connected and gain cranked to the max. I can hear it at a few inches but not out at a foot or so. I just pulled the trigger on a second to use in as home theater speakers.
Let us know how the DBR10 works out for your home theater. I've done some research on PA speakers for home audio use and one of the points against the Yamaha DBR10 is that it has a 4-speed internal cooling fan. Depending on how hard you push it in your home theater if it heats up the fan may run up and be audible. Just something to be aware of and on the alert for. For home audio use passively cooled PA speakers like the previously mentioned QSC CP8 have an advantage.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
has anybody tried just canceling hiss out? you could have a permanant noise generator sitting in the backgound playing inverted
That won't work because hiss (and "noise" in general) is random. ;) You'd need an exact phase-inverted copy.

dasdoing

Major Contributor
That won't work because hiss (and "noise" in general) is random. ;) You'd need an exact phase-inverted copy.

I know....BUT you should get a reduction.....
but I wont theorize more aboute this, as I will try it out. My new speakers are PA and anyoing at low volume. I'll report back here

OP
M

monkeyboy

I have not heard the fans at all, but I don't drive the hard. To be honest I purchased them thinking I'd need the power to fill the room, but studio monitors would work at least for the room I currently have. For me the cons of studio monitors is that they have no grills and I like the idea of the PAs being portable. I can move them to the garage of deck if I want to, monitors seem more delicate. The KRK Rokit 10-3 G4 looked interesting but I couldn't find much info on the frequency response and the vendor did not reply to my request...

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
For me the cons of studio monitors is that they have no grills and I like the idea of the PAs being portable.
For the Neuman KH310 and KH420 you can buy very strong grills but be prepared to pay a fortune ...

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Following up on my previous post, when I listen for hiss, I have no source connected and turn the gain knob on the speaker all the way down.
... and if you turn the gain up the hiss may be higher than with a source connected, because the noise generated by the input impedance is higher. A source with a low output impedance will reduce input noise.

OP
M

monkeyboy

I actually have KH310s w/ grills, yes they were ridiculously expensive...to be honest I'm not sure I'd buy them again, they are great, but well past the point of diminishing returns...The DBRs were only $345 each, a good value in my opinion. The frequency response of the DBRs is pretty good, I couldn't get spinorama data from the vendor...

1642803416777.png

Top Bottom