• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL Control X Review (Indoor/Outdoor Speaker)

BlackH20

Forum Donor
Did you read his disclaimer in the review about his relationship with Harman?
Actually, it's Samsung as of about 2017 when they acquired Harman, they own all the brands that Harman bought up over the last twenty years which is a large percentage of the 1960-80 companies, over 20 companies, though most now associated with new car brands, with various audio price points based on the old history.

SMc

Looks like an NHT SuperZero with good directivity.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Actually, it's Samsung as of about 2017 when they acquired Harman, they own all the brands that Harman bought up over the last twenty years which is a large percentage of the 1960-80 companies, over 20 companies, though most now associated with new car brands, with various audio price points based on the old history.

Yes I'm aware but Harman's still the division that handles the audio we deal with....and cars are big biz for them for sure.

Asinus

Yes I'm aware but Harman's still the division that handles the audio we deal with....and cars are big biz for them for sure.
Harman is a wholly owned subsidiary, not a division. It means it is, at least organization-wise, an independent company with its own management and product lineup.

Of course Samsung as the owner can put a new CEO or close shop at any time but the Samsung/Harman relationship is not the same as for instance Revel and JBL that share resources and can freely access the same internal research.

ahmedreda

I bought 4 of these to use as surrounds in my 10.5x13 room. They were $99/pair on ebay directly from JBL. should work perfect hopefully.. I took a leap of faith just based on the wave guide at the time :D:D

nathan

Wow, so these are cheaper and arguably a better choice than the Revel 55XC or the M8 (when used indoors as on wall speakers).

Now every time I look at my 55XC I use for surround speakers I'm going to wistfully wonder "what if".... (though the ball mount on the XC is pretty sweet).

Putter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
lightbulbs are always nice...
They do burn out eventually although it's likely an easier fix than, say putting in a new woofer surround. I may have passed up a pair of DCM Time Window several years ago with a non working tweeter due to this issue.

respice finem

Major Contributor
Any component will eventually fail, but I guess it would be hard to burn a halogen bulb in a speaker, in a home environment. If it happens in, say, 30 years, then that speaker has "done its duty" anyway in most cases.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Harman is a wholly owned subsidiary, not a division. It means it is, at least organization-wise, an independent company with its own management and product lineup.

Of course Samsung as the owner can put a new CEO or close shop at any time but the Samsung/Harman relationship is not the same as for instance Revel and JBL that share resources and can freely access the same internal research.

Yeah am not that familiar with their corporate structure as to how independent Harman is let alone the "divisions" within Harman sharing stuff (hopefully they do to take advantage but that's not always how things actually work). Are you an employee?

Asinus

Yeah am not that familiar with their corporate structure as to how independent Harman is let alone the "divisions" within Harman sharing stuff (hopefully they do to take advantage but that's not always how things actually work). Are you an employee?

Let's just say that I know a guy or "my uncle works at" so I can state it with a bit more certainty. However we don't need insider info, the wikipedia entry on the company states that it remained independent, every press release on Harman includes the bit "wholly owned subsidiary" which according to the definition

"Not to be confused with a subsidiary, a wholly owned subsidiary is a company that operates as an independent legal entity and whose stock is 100% owned by a holding/parent company."
Wholly Owned Subsidiary Definition (investopedia.com)

Dr. Toole and Dr. Olive have also stated either here or other forums that their research was/is not brand-specific and later someone else decides what is used for products.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Let's just say that I know a guy or "my uncle works at" so I can state it with a bit more certainty. However we don't need insider info, the wikipedia entry on the company states that it remained independent, every press release on Harman includes the bit "wholly owned subsidiary" which according to the definition

"Not to be confused with a subsidiary, a wholly owned subsidiary is a company that operates as an independent legal entity and whose stock is 100% owned by a holding/parent company."
Wholly Owned Subsidiary Definition (investopedia.com)

Dr. Toole and Dr. Olive have also stated either here or other forums that their research was/is not brand-specific and later someone else decides what is used for products.
Having been part of a team employed by the acquiring company I found lots of exceptions to "rules" myself as far as the acquiree went. Guy with the most swing at the top corporate level still swings the biggest dick (which is often what it's about :) )

testp

Having been part of a team employed by the acquiring company I found lots of exceptions to "rules" myself as far as the acquiree went. Guy with the most swing at the top corporate level still swings the biggest dick (which is often what it's about :) )

yes, and the best way, not being involved in daily business of aquired company, but set the guidlines what is expected of them,..

palmoyas

I'd love to see how these compare to the widely available Klipsch KHO-7, which goes on sale at Costco a couple times/year for about $140.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Vertical directivity looks much better on the cheaper JBLs (and probably matters more outdoors where one is moving around relative to the speaker) than on the Focals.
Which only matters if you mount them sideways. If you keep them upright, the Focals have better frequency response. This ultimately informed my decision on how to mount them. In fact, both of them really should be kept upright if you can.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a pair of their powered Control X wireless speakers which look like they have the exact same enclosure and drivers. They sound good and can get very loud indoors and even outdoors can project sound quite a ways.

Reactions: m8o

doodle6

I’ve been running two pairs of JBL Control 30s for almost twenty years with a temperature range of -5 to 112 with no failures except for a pair of fried tweeters from an overly enthusiastic friend who over-drove them while intoxicated. Or was that me?

Webninja

Forum Donor
I should have gotten a few pairs at $99. Now that I need them, I can’t find these for even $199.

Anyone know if they are discontinued or just temporarily out of stock?

Top Bottom