• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL Control X Review (Indoor/Outdoor Speaker)

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
From the manual:

Please note that while the JBL Control X is an all- weather outdoor loudspeaker, it is not waterproof. These speakers should NOT be submerged or directly exposed to water, ice, snow or sustained moisture. Do not spray water into the speaker’s rear port.

Illustrated applications also shows that these should be covered when outdoors:
D9110344-57E1-4C14-A304-8103607C79D9.jpeg

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Still works in my installation (under eaves and no direct exposure to weather generally except some cold, but not extreme, maybe 32F). I wouldn't put any speakers into full outdoor exposure with much expectations really (I suppose there are some dedicated outdoor pa speakers but I'm thinking a little better listening qualities :) )......anyone know of stelllar performers in this regard?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Does JBL sponsor you Amir?
They don't even talk to me let alone sponsor me. This is why either I or members need to buy Harman speakers like this to test them.

milezone

Forum Donor
They don't even talk to me let alone sponsor me. This is why either I or members need to buy Harman speakers like this to test them.

Oh. I have perceived a bias. Not my business as to whether that's a bad or a good thing. Just curious. They seem to produce good stuff.

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Oh. I have perceived a bias. Not my business as to whether that's a bad or a good thing. Just curious. They seem to produce good stuff.
I go into every evaluation fresh whether it is Harman product, or any other. Naturally their products do well because they use the same measurements and science I use to evaluate them. It would be quite amazing if my results were poor for speakers.

Now for electronics, I have given failing grade to a number of Harman products. This may be the reason I don't get any cooperation from them...

Tks

Major Contributor

I remember one of those Revel speaker towers you wanted to review, when you tried calling them, they just told you "Don't call us, we'll call you"

Lol

respice finem

Major Contributor
JBL often uses a "lightbulb" in the crossover to act as a limiter to convert excess power into light + heat. I've seen it used in the (by now, ancient) ancestor to these, the Control 1 (I've owned maybe a half dozen over the years; and I've installed many dozens of them in bars, billiard halls, restaurants, etc, when I was doing that three decades ago) and more recently I was surprised when I saw it used in the dual 10" outdoor subwoofer I bought and setup for a friend in his backyard. Looking at numerous JBL speaker crossover schematics I've seen it used in more, so I surmise it's used by JBL pretty widely.

You can actually see a glowing orange light enimating from the speaker's port when -really- cranking them. If given a chance to wager, I'd bet they're used in these too and are a factor in it handling power so well.

Quick search and I found this. This is the x-over for the Control 28 not the Control 1 or X ... but something akin to this is a typical "lightbulb limiter" used by JBL:

View attachment 140197
Clever idea, actually. One is never too old to learn.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I remember one of those Revel speaker towers you wanted to review, when you tried calling them, they just told you "Don't call us, we'll call you"

Lol
Yeh, it was the F328Be. I bought that one and it was hell selling it since it was so heavy to ship.

kimmosto

Why timing results are still missing? Sound is wavefront as a function of time so especially speaker reviews are not complete and valid in a fundamental way without timing plots. That does not look credible on forum trying to play scientific - knowing that timing is perceivable shown by a science. Not cleary by Toole et al., but that is obsolete and incorrect information.

Long term and fast/peak compression spectrum with "music spectrum" would also be valuable e.g. with concepts having radiators with very unbalanced SPL capacity such as 2-way with compression driver + horn as a tweeter and almost any small (<15") mid-woofer. I haven't thought much is some combination of burst and slow sine sweep with 3-10% THD limit okay for that. Spectrum of M-Noise could be suitable, but distinction of long term and peak might be difficult. Anyway, balanced compression is very important for tolerability assuming that SPL ends up to level where the weakest radiators (usually LF -> MF) start to compress either long term or peak or both. Main challenge is to specify/agree spectrum of measurement signal. Flat is obviously wrong.

Reference point system looks also just subjective decision by individual knowing that ideal/target for most of the plots is not known and specified in a standard or serious investigation. Requires multiple speakers concepts, environments, listening setups and genres so I'm quite confident that it will never happen or work for scoring purposes. Giving points with limited measurements could lift (probably has already lifted) weak products without actual/earned competence. For example traces in spinorama and THD cannot override everything else so they should not have close to all weight no matter how expensive and nice gadget NFS is. Points are okay for some individual plot if bad...good axis is clearly known, but not for total which is combination of many small details and compatibilities such as environment, possible listening setups and intended use.
So I would delete reference points for good and let readers look results and decide what is perceivable and matters for them. Some experience and guides help.

Last edited:

DSJR

Major Contributor
I was taught decades back that once you get more than two or three metres back from a speaker, all 'timing' attempts in a design go out of the window. I admit, I'm no student of speaker design so maybe I'm wrong ('phase corrected' speakers were the next best thing when I started in the early 70's).

Surely the Spinorama can show where the best listening axis is for a given multi-driver system, even if say, the tweeter axis is the prime one used?

I bought a very cheap used pair of Control Ones to use to test stuff I was making at the time and found the midrange superb. The loss of bass is fine for the purpose in retail establishments when they were universally wall-mounted and even in these situations, the clarity and good 'diction' always worked for me compared to the squawk and screech of other cheap 'install' speakers. At home, the 'hole' between upper mid and top could be heard, but my pair (even when one tweeter failed and I needed to replace it - my era models had the tweeters hot-melted into place which later ones don't) don't spit and fizzle as I remember the earliest samples doing. This new? model does look to have sorted all of this out and I suspect the little bass 'bump' won't do much if any harm at all - I mean, the infamous LS3/5A and its family of wannabes have used this technique for nearly half a century now and very few fans ever complain about it :D

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Another Harman loudspeaker with good value for money which doesn't seem to be easily obtainable in Europe, I hate the horrible worldwide Harman distribution organisation for that and will never understand it... As if they only want to sell their entry class BT stuff here....

testp

JBL often uses a "lightbulb" in the crossover to act as a limiter to convert excess power into light + heat. I've seen it used in the (by now, ancient) ancestor to these, the Control 1 (I've owned maybe a half dozen over the years; and I've installed many dozens of them in bars, billiard halls, restaurants, etc, when I was doing that three decades ago) and more recently I was surprised when I saw it used in the dual 10" outdoor subwoofer I bought and setup for a friend in his backyard. Looking at numerous JBL speaker crossover schematics I've seen it used in more, so I surmise it's used by JBL pretty widely.

You can actually see a glowing orange light enimating from the speaker's port when -really- cranking them. If given a chance to wager, I'd bet they're used in these too and are a factor in it handling power so well.

Quick search and I found this. This is the x-over for the Control 28 not the Control 1 or X ... but something akin to this is a typical "lightbulb limiter" used by JBL:

View attachment 140197

lightbulbs are always nice...

TimW

Major Contributor
I bought a pair of these for my buddy's deck when they were on sale for $99. They sound really great and I've been surprised by how loud they play without strain from such a small box. The bass even feels totally adequate for the application. Just waiting for the sale to come back to get a pair for my fathers patio.

Top Bottom