• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL LSR305P MKii and Control 1 Pro Monitors Review

edechamps

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The Bottom graph shows the original 305 measured by Harman. The difference between treble and low-mid is about 1 to 2 dB.
The top graph shows the new 305P mkII measured by Amir. The difference between treble and low-mid is around 4 dB !

What happened between the two versions of this speaker ?

A few hypotheses come to mind:
  • A reference axis issue similar to the Neumann KH 80 snafu
  • Sample-to-sample variation and Amir measured a particularly bad sample (not unlikely given the price range, I wouldn't expect quality control to be amazing)
  • Actual differences between Mk I and MkII. Seems unlikely given the waveguide looks exactly the same.

digicidal

Major Contributor
That was my subjective impression regarding the 305's vs the 306P's in my office. Totally oranges to bananas comparison - not to mention sighted on different systems & DACs (though both measure well enough to be inaudible differences).

In addition the 306P's seem to be under-amplified - despite being specified higher. Not really a fan of them in a few ways - although since I got a ridiculous sale on them (around $80/ea, so much cheaper than the 305's were) I'm not going to hold it against them.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
That was my subjective impression regarding the 305's vs the 306P's in my office. Totally oranges to bananas comparison - not to mention sighted on different systems & DACs (though both measure well enough to be inaudible differences).

In addition the 306P's seem to be under-amplified - despite being specified higher. Not really a fan of them in a few ways - although since I got a ridiculous sale on them (around $80/ea, so much cheaper than the 305's were) I'm not going to hold it against them.

I think I got the same deal...with a couple of cables thrown in as I remember.
My thoughts are similar... I only have the 705's and 708's to compare it to directly, and in that comparison, there isn't much of a comparison...but for $80 it's hard to argue.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Think we all got the same deal I shared on the thread. :D

But odd as it seems, I do think the 306P has more than enough grunt for a small room. It certainly doesn't sound "small" for its size.
But I've connected it via XLR-3pin, and mostly, my DAC is at -15dB level output and the speaker is only at 6~7 volume position most of the time.
I do let it rip at up to -5dB DAC output levels and keeping the speaker volume untouched.

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
I'll bet this has been said before in this thread and elsewhere, but I would love to see the 6.5" and 8" versions of these speakers tested because the price difference from 5" to 8" is only $50 per speaker.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
I'll bet this has been said before in this thread and elsewhere, but I would love to see the 6.5" and 8" versions of these speakers tested because the price difference from 5" to 8" is only $50 per speaker.

That price difference occurs only when there's a major sales going on.

And that is only if the 308P is on discount but the MSRP of the 305P is not discounted.

Regular MSRP for the 308P is US$249, the 306P being US$199 and the 305P being US$149.

The lowest I have seen is US$185 for the 308P, US$129/each (US$172/pair) for the 306P, US$89/each for the 305P.

Current price you're seeing on Amazon for the 308p at US$199/each is a discounted price. Not the regular MSRP while the 305P is holding its MSRP of US$149/each .

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
That price difference occurs only when there's a major sales going on.

And that is only if the 308P is on discount but the MSRP of the 305P is not discounted.

Regular MSRP for the 308P is US$249, the 306P being US$199 and the 305P being US$149.

The lowest I have seen is US$185 for the 308P, US$129/each (US$172/pair) for the 306P, US$89/each for the 305P.

Current price you're seeing on Amazon for the 308p at US$199/each is a discounted price. Not the regular MSRP while the 305P is holding its MSRP of US$149/each .
Fair points, but those prices are still low compared to competing speakers which are mostly in the $499+ range.

The 8" version dips down in price fairly often:

https://camelcamelcamel.com/JBL-Professional-Next-Generation-Powered-308PMKII/product/B077NHM2K6

maxxevv

Major Contributor
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I have a 705P in for review and the same owner has the 708 so these tests will be coming.

Xyrium

Forum Donor
I have a 705P in for review and the same owner has the 708 so these tests will be coming.

Yeah, but that's a VERY different speaker than the 300 series...typo on the 7 vs 3?

Though I am extremely interested in the 705 performance, if that's what you have.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Yeah, but that's a VERY different speaker than the 300 series...typo on the 7 vs 3?

Though I am extremely interest in the 705 performance, if that's what you have.
No, I thought that was what was meant. But yes, I have the 705. A pair of them as a matter of fact.

Xyrium

Forum Donor
Sir, you have a nice selection of test subjects in your stable! Looking forward to it, as always!

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
Looking forward to the 700 series tests, but yes, I meant LSR306P MkII and LSR308P MkII. Curious to see if there are substantial differences based on cabinet and woofer size, port tuning, crossover frequency, and amplifier rating.

Arsonistic

Nice to see speaker reviews!
Any chance you could review Yamaha HS5 and HS8?
(main interest being HS5 due to significantly smaller size)
Here's what the spec-sheet says about their performance:
Yamaha HS series.png

Can't find any info on how they tested to get those values tho. (forgive me if I missed anything, I'm slightly new to the world of advanced audio)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

TLEDDY

Forum Donor
TLEDDY again with an interim report:

The eBay vendor responded immediately on the speaker. He sent me return shipping label and promised to ship me a replacement ASAP!

After I receive and install the new speaker, I will report back.

BTW, I own Harbeth 40.1s, KEF LS50s and the JBL 305P MKIIs. They’re in order in my music room, bedroom and office. I installed the Audioengine powered speakers in my dining room utilizing a Bluetooth adapter.

The Harbeth are powered by Benchmark DAC/preamp and Amps. KEFs by Cambridge integrated using Bluetooth.

I received the replacement white speaker... I used unbalanced connectors on both ends; RCA to Phono plug. All is well in the world.

TLEDDY

Forum Donor
I received the replacement white speaker... I used unbalanced connectors on both ends; RCA to Phono plug. All is well in the world.

I have had some time to listen to my now-complete office system. To recap:

Apple iMac...USB...Khardas Tone Board...JBL 305P MkII + Audioengine Sub

Sources: Tidal; ASR What are you listening...; Amazon; Apple; ElCheapo CD transport

Subjectively (obviously) very satisfying on the genre of music I like. Depending on mood, Classical, big band, conventional jazz, quasi-country (Lucinda Williams) rock and blues. One might accurately say eclectic.

I welcome any advice/suggestions from the hive mind!

Top Bottom