• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Jay's Audio Lab and electral outlets

johnah5

Hi everyone, Jay has been posting on his youtube channel how his system changed (lost highs) when he had outlets from home depot installed. In yesterday's video he is saying that he had audiophile outlets installed which has made his system sound "cold" since his outlets have not been used? He said the home depot outlets warmed up his amps some models more than others. I don't have a good understanding of electricity but I know human minds. Is there any reality to changing outlets causing the sound of your system to change? I know power supplies are said to make a significant difference in sound.

thanks!

JH

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What a joke really. I don't follow guys like Jay. Most of these guys are obsessive and imagination-drive: Where can I look next for something that will my system sound better, (especially if it costs a lot of money).

It upsets "ultra high-end" types that that a $1000 amplifier can be SOTA by every objective measure. When you get down to it, questing for expensive audio exotic is part of their self-identity.

Incidentally, less wealthy audiophile obsessives look for cheap gimmicks that supposedly improve sound. E.g. a selecting amongst $3 wall sockets ... or "upgrading" to $10 wall socket.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Is there any reality to changing outlets causing the sound of your system to change?

No. The more you dig in and the more you learn about how all this works, the more you will roll your eyes at the nonsense/ignorance out there.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
1667647575961.gif

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Astoneroad

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In yesterday's video he is saying that he had audiophile outlets installed which has made his system sound "cold" since his outlets have not been used?
This is why the refrigeration industry has patents on these "cold" outlets. The warm outlets are the domain of space heaters and convection ovens. Everyone knows this. P.S. Audio is using this technology in its upcoming line of appliances and regenerators for the kitchen. Science just gets in the way of such enlightened visionaries as these who can see sound and hear color. :facepalm:

Tranquility Bass

Audio Company
Forum Donor
Hi everyone, Jay has been posting on his youtube channel how his system changed (lost highs) when he had outlets from home depot installed. In yesterday's video he is saying that he had audiophile outlets installed which has made his system sound "cold" since his outlets have not been used? He said the home depot outlets warmed up his amps some models more than others. I don't have a good understanding of electricity but I know human minds. Is there any reality to changing outlets causing the sound of your system to change? I know power supplies are said to make a significant difference in sound.

thanks!

JH
Short answer NO ! It is nothing more than the placebo effect and the power of suggestion. Unless he does DBT, visual stimuli will always affect the apparent sound of something. If you are not sure get a blind person to listen for you. Their hearing is many times more acute than a sited person otherwise stick to DBT. Getting back to changing power points can Jay explain to us why there should be a difference ? Is one power outlet limiting current or voltage in someway etc ? What effect is changing power points having on the internal power supplies and why should this effect the reproduction of music when it is just feeding some sort of peak rectification circuit which ultimately gets heavily filtered and regulated by the proceeding power supplies inside the equipment. Same applies to mains cables etc.

Last edited:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sometimes power supplies can make a difference if for example the external supply that came with the amp is severely underpowered. Then switching to a more powerful supply can give more output power.

Palladium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Sometimes power supplies can make a difference if for example the external supply that came with the amp is severely underpowered. Then switching to a more powerful supply can give more output power.

I bought a Mean Well LRS-350 36V to replace the stock Aiyima A07 and A3001 adapter PSUs (they also leak small amounts of high voltage AC to the DC ground because they are 2 pin instead of 3-pin, which gives me tingles on barefeet)

I feel they now sound better, but then again even if it's just purely placebo its only a $40 investment for a much better and inherently grounded PSU.

thanks!

JH

Mains AC is a notoriously dirty signal. A power outlet which is just an equivalent of a near-zero ohm resistor does exactly nothing to clean that up.

Last edited:

pau

instead if concerns i would propose getting proper UPS as filter if living with a grid connection that has lots of noise,harmonics etc..

Used in IT very succesfully.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I totally disagree with almost everything the Jay’s Audio Lab dude says, but he is a true believer. He spends an unnecessary cr@pload of dough on gear but he seems to be very sincere in his beliefs. Although I am sure the more expensive gear he reviews, the more YouTube traffic he gets, the more money from views he gets, and from that income the more money he makes to buy ever more expensive gear. And then the cycle repeats. But you know what? He isn’t hurting anybody. I mean, he believes in a lot of nonsense but he is happy to spend his own dough on it.

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
April 1 is the only day people critically look at whatever they're viewing on the internet it seems.....

egellings

Major Contributor

thanks!

JH
Nope.

DWMB

This man, as someone has said on an Audio Science Review forum, truly has audiophile nervosa. And quite obviously rolling in dough and flaunting his system. Quite sickening actually how he shows off his $1.2 million system.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

This man, as someone has said on an Audio Science Review forum, truly has audiophile nervosa. And quite obviously rolling in dough and flaunting his system. Quite sickening actually how he shows off his $1.2 million system.
Meh. He didn’t pay list price for any of that stuff. Industry accommodation price is usually 30% (ie, 70% off). Plus, it’s financed by his YouTube views. So it’s kind of a vicious circle—the more audaciously expensive gear you review, the more views and subscribers you get, the more money YouTube pays you, the more audaciously expensive gear you buy, etc.

Last edited:

egellings

Major Contributor

I'd be curious about just what sort of sound a 1.2 million system could get you.

Top Bottom