• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need recommendations on replacing a Bose Lifestyle.

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok, my father in-law has a 20 year old Bose Lifestyle 38. The speakers and sub is custom in-wall and in-ceiling installed when he had his home built, 20 years ago. The Bose speakers are powered by the subwoofer as the subwoofer has a multi-channel amp built in; the multi-channel signal to the subwoofer uses a Bose proprietary 9-Pin DIN plug.

Anyway, long story short, the Bose is no longer working, we believe the issue is with the head unit. The in-ceiling and in-wall sub and speakers are still functional.

First question: Since the sub and speakers are in-wall and in-ceiling, his first choice is to salvage that custom install. Anyone know of a Bose 9-pin DIN to RCA converter, so that he can get an AVP to replace that Bose head unit?

Second question: If the in-wall and in-ceiling sub and speakers cannot be salvage, we just have to rip it out (and patch up the holes). But he would still want a new surround system. What options are there today equivalent to a Bose Lifestyle? It can be in-wall/in-ceiling or on-wall/on-ceiling.

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Did you see this link BOSE
Read Spades45 first 3 or 4 posts. Not sure if this is the same system but it's the nine pin. The Sub might need replacing but the other speakers might work.

Purchased a standard subwoofer and AV receiver, hacked off the RCA plugs on the Bose speakers and connected them to the receiver and everything works perfectly! Plus I made $100 selling the old Bose sub and receiver on craigslist.

I can confirm there is no weird distortion or adverse effects. Sound quality is improved due to the new sub. Replacing the receiver saved me a lot of headache thanks to HDMI among other things.

Last edited:
OP
CleanSound

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Did you see this link BOSE
Read Spades45 first 3 or 4 posts. Not sure if this is the same system but it's the nine pin. The Sub might need replacing but the other speakers might work.
Sounds like they wired the speakers directly to a receiver and bypass the amp in the sub. I want to keep the sub because it's part of the custom install.

Top Bottom