• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dayton iMM-6 vs UMIK-1

Jarvis85

Hi, please find below the measurements of UMIK-1 vs iMM-6.
Configuration is as below.
AVR - Denon x4700h
Speaker - Polk ES-15 (L+R used for measurement)
Sub - SVS SB 3000

Only the challenge I have faced is in impulse measurement.

It does not measure the correct impulse with the use of acoustic time reference. I use it to speaker time alignment. Can anyone help?

Mic set-up as below.
IMG20231016113610.jpg

I have connected iMM-6 with a USB audio driver and selected "USB PnP Sound Device" as input in REW.
IMG20231016122454.jpg

I have used two different calibration files for iMM-6. One was the original file downloaded from the Dayton website and the Second one was the UMIK-1 file.

Sub-calibration data:
UMIK-1 vs iMM-6 Sub Cal Data_.png

Blue: UMIK-1 with factory calibrated file
Green: iMM-6 with factory calibrated file
Yellow: iMM-6 with UMIK-1 calibration file

Speaker Calibration data (without sub):
UMIK-1 vs iMM-6 L+R Cal Data_.png

Green: UMIK-1 with factory calibrated file
Red: iMM-6 with factory calibrated file
Purple: iMM-6 with UMIK-1 calibration file

I found that iMM-6 can measure below 10hz and comparing the price, it is a worthy investment. Differences are much acceptable considering the price to performance.

Anyone can share their experience?

Attachments

• IMG20231016113610.jpg
    IMG20231016113610.jpg
    213.4 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG20231016122454.jpg
    IMG20231016122454.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 63
  • UMIK-1 vs iMM-6 L+R Cal Data_.png
    UMIK-1 vs iMM-6 L+R Cal Data_.png
    368.1 KB · Views: 61
  • UMIK-1 vs iMM-6 Sub Cal Data_.png
    UMIK-1 vs iMM-6 Sub Cal Data_.png
    338.7 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
The images are not visible to me:

1697455486949.png

roladyzator

Do I correctly understand that you connected the mic to the AVR and the AVR to your PC over USB?

OP
J

Jarvis85

Do I correctly understand that you connected the mic to the AVR and the AVR to your PC over USB?
I have connected AVR to the laptop with HDMI cable and Mic is connected with laptop with use of USB Audio Driver and TRRS Extension cable.

Graph Feppar

The Umik-1 has those 5 and 6khz spikes and iMM-6 doesnt. I think its becose iMM-6 is smaller and smaller is better at higher frequencies, could you make photo of these two side by side on flat surface? Is iMM-6 smaller in term of front diameter of the tube where the microphone is located? If yes, how much?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The Umik-1 has those 5 and 6khz spikes and iMM-6 doesnt. I think its becose iMM-6 is smaller and smaller is better at higher frequencies, could you make photo of these two side by side on flat surface? Is iMM-6 smaller in term of front diameter of the tube where the microphone is located? If yes, how much?
The specs for the iMM 6 say it is a 6mm diaphragm, same as the Umik. It has differently shaped openings around the end of the microphone. Also I think you misread the images. The red curve with the spikes is the iMM 6 with calibration file. The green is the Umik 1 mic. Looks like nothing more than the cal file not being quite as correct for the iMM6.

Graph Feppar

The specs for the iMM 6 say it is a 6mm diaphragm, same as the Umik. It has differently shaped openings around the end of the microphone. Also I think you misread the images. The red curve with the spikes is the iMM 6 with calibration file. The green is the Umik 1 mic. Looks like nothing more than the cal file not being quite as correct for the iMM6.

Why would you run iMM 6 with Umik 1 calibration file? Can you run these microphones without calibration files? Yes, it may be that calibration file is wrong, but it also might be that the Umik-1 is the wrong one. You would have to measure with superior microphone like Bruel & Kjaer or G.R.A.S to really discover what the real curve looks like and to be able to judge the accuracy of these budget microphones and correctness of their calibration files.

While Minidsp might arguably be more reputable microphone manufacturer than Dayton, I am not 100% convinced that these 6Khz twin peaks are not real.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Why would you run iMM 6 with Umik 1 calibration file? Can you run these microphones without calibration files? Yes, it may be that calibration file is wrong, but it also might be that the Umik-1 is the wrong one. You would have to measure with superior microphone like Bruel & Kjaer or G.R.A.S to really discover what the real curve looks like and to be able to judge the accuracy of these budget microphones and correctness of their calibration files.

While Minidsp might arguably be more reputable microphone manufacturer than Dayton, I am not 100% convinced that these 6Khz twin peaks are not real.
Don't ask me I didn't post the original curves. I just read them. My guess is the poster was trying to use one file against the wrong mic to see if the 6 khz peaks were in the cal file or the microphone. Looks like the file, but no way to know for sure.

Plenty have posted measurements indicating the Umik 1 is pretty darn close with its cal file to much more expensive measurement mics. I've also found creating a cal file from published graphs for various music recording omnis that you get a very close agreement. Up to 2 khz there is little need for calibration with these smaller omnis or even larger omnis for that matter. I have an iMM 6 and it was pretty close. I don't remember having those peaks, but it has been awhile since I compared the little Dayton and the Umik 1.

Guddu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
imm-6, From their website -
- For use with Apple iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch via 3.5mm TRRS headset jack
- Compatible with Android and Windows Phone devices with TRRS jack

Wonder if it would work with a laptop/PC properly.

roladyzator

I've tried it with my Creative GC-7, which has a TRRS headphone jack. Worked just fine.
An important thing to consider is whether you'll be able to disable built-in processing like equalization or noise reduction.
With PC, you have some control over this, unlike on Android

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

If they have a TRRS jack yes. I've used one on an older Lenovo Thinkpad. Worked just fine.

roladyzator

I'm imagining doing a moving mic measurent with a ThinkPad with IMM-6 sticking out of it:)

I might give it a try, since they actually allow you to turn off most microphone processing In the settings. The laptop itself would probably affect the higher frequency result, but for room modes that should work.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm imagining doing a moving mic measurent with a ThinkPad with IMM-6 sticking out of it:)

I might give it a try, since they actually allow you to turn off most microphone processing In the settings. The laptop itself would probably affect the higher frequency result, but for room modes that should work.
Shoot splurge a little. Spend $10 for a 10 ft extension cable for TRRS or 26 ft for $19.

Top Bottom