• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

It was quite a journey for me to build a system that I feel is truly great.

ironhorse128

Forum Donor

My Equipment:
  • ThinkStation P330 Tiny acting as roon server
  • Raspi + Allo DigiOne running RoPieee
  • MiniDSP SHD Studio performing the XO at 80hz and the dirac room correction
  • RME ADI DAC2 -> VTV Purifi EVAL1 amp -> KEF R3
  • Topping D50s -> 2 * SVS SB2000s
  • 5 * DIY broadband absorbers each 1.2m * 50cm
  • About 7m * 40cm *40cm DIY bass traps placed mainly in the corners (floor to ceiling)
  • Two sets of Basotect sky-bricks to absorb the ceiling reflections (https://www.der-schaumstoffdiscount...E/?ObjectPath=/Shops/61456034/Products/SBAS40)
  • 2 * Diffusors QRD7 (1m x 50cm x 12 cm). NOT DIY.
  • REW + UMIC1
  • Logitech Harmony Companion Remote + Home Assistant to control the whole system with one remote.
My room is multi-purpose room (4m*6.3m*2.7m) which made it not easy to make a suitable speaker and listening positions work. Here is the layout of the room. As you can see there is really a lot going on.
  • The distance of the speakers to the listening position is 2.5 m.
  • The speakers are about 70 cm from the side wall.
  • The room is as symmetrical as possible
  • The side wall first reflection points are bare wall. Just above the subs.
  • The subs are placed on the midpoint of the side walls
  • The main equipment is placed at the desk, thus I have to run 7.5 m wire to the speakers and the subs (behind the wardrobes and shelfs)
room.png

Here is how is measures. Frequency response at listening position. Obviously Dirac helps a lot with that. I run Dirac full range with a flat target curve as I really like it this way. I use the parametric EQ of the MiniDSP SHD to add some bass boost manually depending on the listening volume.

frequency_response.png

Here are the RT60 times using the Topt metric. The Topt is nice and flat too, just below 300ms. And no I do not think the room sounds dead.

rt60.png

I need to point out that I am very proud on my harmony remote configuration. This one remote together with my home assistance instance lets me:
  • Turn on/ turn off the whole system (real disconnect from power using a wifi plug)
  • Control volume of the MiniDSP
  • Play/ Pause/ skip to next/prev track/ skip 30 seconds within the track
  • Change MiniDSP presets
  • Change inputs on the MiniDSP
  • Control my lights
  • Control some things on the RME ADI DAC2 (if needed)
Here you have it. It took me almost 2 years to buy, build, setup and calibrate the system. It was quite a journey with a lot to read, learn and experiment with. And ASR was very very helpful. So Thanks to all of you.

Last edited:

NightFlight

Interesting! I'm about a year in.

My room is 3.0Wx6.6Lx2.6H meters. My ELAC DBR-62 sit 63cm from side and 1m from rear measured on center. Listening point is also 2.5m from speaker face to the ear. One sub in the right front corner. DIY safe 'n Sound 2x4'x3" broad absorbers are so far just hung behind the speakers. Adding two more at left/right of speaker and also ceiling measured to reflection point as you have. More DIY absorption planned for rear wall. My listening point is a couch and have a bookshelf to the right of it to help diffusion. Floor is partially carpeted with underlay under speakers and couch area. Right hand first reflection is eaten by a window curtain and left side is open doorway. No measurements. I just use my ear and I'm getting there.

OP
ironhorse128

ironhorse128

Forum Donor
@NightFlight seems that you are also on a good track. Nevertheless, I would advice to get a measurement mic to get your game to the next level . Helps with e. g. the sub integration and the room eq.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

My Equipment:
  • ThinkStation P330 Tiny acting as roon server
  • Raspi + Allo DigiOne running RoPieee
  • MiniDSP SHD Studio performing the XO at 80hz and the dirac room correction
  • RME ADI DAC2 -> VTV Purifi EVAL1 amp -> KEF R3
  • Topping D50s -> 2 * SVS SB2000s
  • 5 * DIY broadband absorbers each 1.2m * 50cm
  • About 7m * 40cm *40cm DIY bass traps placed mainly in the corners (floor to ceiling)
  • Two sets of Basotect sky-bricks to absorb the ceiling reflections (https://www.der-schaumstoffdiscount...E/?ObjectPath=/Shops/61456034/Products/SBAS40)
  • 2 * Diffusors QRD7 (1m x 50cm x 12 cm). NOT DIY.
  • REW + UMIC1
  • Logitech Harmony Companion Remote + Home Assistant to control the whole system with one remote.
My room is multi-purpose room (4m*6.3m*2.7m) which made it not easy to make a suitable speaker and listening positions work. Here is the layout of the room. As you can see there is really a lot going on.
  • The distance of the speakers to the listening position is 2.5 m.
  • The speakers are about 70 cm from the side wall.
  • The room is as symmetrical as possible
  • The side wall first reflection points are bare wall. Just above the subs.
  • The subs are placed on the midpoint of the side walls
  • The main equipment is placed at the desk, thus I have to run 7.5 m wire to the speakers and the subs (behind the wardrobes and shelfs)
View attachment 144059

Here is how is measures. Frequency response at listening position. Obviously Dirac helps a lot with that. I run Dirac full range with a flat target curve as I really like it this way. I use the parametric EQ of the MiniDSP SHD to add some bass boost manually depending on the listening volume.

View attachment 144062

Here are the RT60 times using the Topt metric. The Topt is nice and flat too, just below 300ms. And no I do not think the room sounds dead.

View attachment 144057
I need to point out that I am very proud on my harmony remote configuration. This one remote together with my home assistance instance lets me:
  • Turn on/ turn off the whole system (real disconnect from power using a wifi plug)
  • Control volume of the MiniDSP
  • Play/ Pause/ skip to next/prev track/ skip 30 seconds within the track
  • Change MiniDSP presets
  • Change inputs on the MiniDSP
  • Control my lights
  • Control some things on the RME ADI DAC2 (if needed)
Here you have it. It took me almost 2 years to buy, build, setup and calibrate the system. It was quite a journey with a lot to read, learn and experiment with. And ASR was very very helpful. So Thanks to all of you.

Great! My system shares many similarities to yours. I have a Kef LS 50 Metas, and OG Ls 50s which I'll be using for surrounds. I have a Purifi Eval 1 which I built from a Ghent Kit + Hypex SMPS, and I have a single SVS SB2000 but plan to add another. My DAC/ Preamp will be the Octo DAC 8 Pro, when and if it ever gets here (been on order since early January). I'm also using JRiver, and Dirac Live 3 multichannel, and will use Dephonica as a software crossover for the two channel use case, and JRiver for the 4.1 surround processor/bass management for the multichannel use case.

My room is smaller (12 x 12), but I have great hopes for this system. I also plan to add a 55" Oled for home theater by year end, so yeah.

When to Octo arrives (c;mon already!), I'll set up the complete system. Right now I'm just using the Metas +single Sb2000 with SVS crossovers as a 2 channel stereo, and it sounds amazing. When I get everything set up, I'll share REW measurements with the community. Hope they look as good as yours.

Audio Nirvana is just a delivery away.

OP
ironhorse128

ironhorse128

Forum Donor
That octo seems to be an incredible device. I was not aware of the octo.

I am also quite jealous that you can add a TV and go for multi channel. That is just awesome. I have to watch movies in our open space living room where the bass just sucks. Good for you.
Sure you will have fun with the octo. I guess I have to read the whole octo thread over the weekend.

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
That octo seems to be an incredible device. I was not aware of the octo.

I am also quite jelloius that you can add a TV and go for multi channel. That is just awesome. I have to watch movies in our open space living room where the bass just sucks. Good for you.
Sure you will have fun with the octo. I guess I have to read the whole octo thread over the weekend.
If you are unsure of the correct spelling of a word, type out what you think it is and then use the mouse to highlight the red underlined word and right click on it and the spelling correction feature will pop up and show you options. It usually gets it right even with mis-spelled words. :D

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

index.php
Nice, but I think it needs a lot more bass. :cool:

OP
ironhorse128

ironhorse128

Forum Donor
Nice, but I think it needs a lot more bass. :cool:
Yes I know. The good thing is that the miniDSP lets you have four presets of PEQ on top of dirac. This way you can choose the amount of bass boost on demand. And you do not have to rerun dirac for this.

OP
ironhorse128

ironhorse128

Forum Donor
These are really cool. I'd like to see a picture of how you arranged them.

I also question their efficacy. No information is provided.

This is basically how it I arranged them. The majority of them are the the first reflection points. The rest above the listening position. The do not look pretty cool on the ceiling even though I did not perfectly align them.

decke.jpg

The basic material Basotect is well known and tested to have good absorption properties. The coating of course is not tested as rigorously. Nevethless, in the REW measurements there is no sign of ceiling reflections in the impulse plots. Even if they were not absorbtive, they would still act as an diffusor due to the wholes and the different lengths. I really like them. And it was quite easy to glue them to the ceiling.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Great! Many conglaturations!!

The title of your thread greatly attracted me visiting here since I have also recently finished/completed rather long journey on my multichannel multi-driver multi-way multi-amplifier project with OKTO DAC8PRO.

Just for your reference and my comparative perspective, you would please allow me sharing with you the latest total frequency response at my usual listening position with my system which I also shared here;
WS002374.JPG

My system configurations can be summarized in this diagram;
WS002364.JPG

Please visit my post here for each of the larger diagram.

And, the photo of listening room environment;
WS002243.JPG

For the details of my setup and listening environment, you would please visit my post here.

I believe we may exchange various information especially on multi-channel multi-way operation and fine tuning of room acoustics. And, of course, your participation in my "long journey" thread will be much welcome.

OP
ironhorse128

ironhorse128

Forum Donor
Great! Many conglaturations!!

The title of your thread greatly attracted me visiting here since I have also recently finished/completed rather long journey on my multichannel multi-driver multi-way multi-amplifier project with OKTO DAC8PRO.

Just for your reference and my comparative perspective, you would please allow me sharing with you the latest total frequency response at my usual listening position with my system which I also shared here; View attachment 145734

My system configurations can be summarized in this diagram;
View attachment 145735
Please visit my post here for each of the larger diagram.

And, the photo of listening room environment;
View attachment 145736

For the details of my setup and listening environment, you would please visit my post here.

I believe we may exchange various information especially on multi-channel multi-way operation and fine tuning of room acoustics. And, of course, your participation in my "long journey" thread will be much welcome.
That is some impressive system.

Top Bottom