• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is Volumio the best 'streamer freeware'?

driblo

I did. As far as I can tell, headless is one of the things that slows a pi down when running Buster (the OS of the time). It seemed to expect a hard wire monitor as the primary, and headless as a secondary monitor, because it wanted you to set a screen size, instead of scaling to what you were using. At least, that’s how it seemed to me. Maybe I just never mastered it, because once I had piCorePlayer, I never looked back.
I run JRiver on a MacMini, with a windows PC as file server (not media server). You have to mount the network drive, then, on the Mac, but once you do, it’s smooth sailing. That’s why I got the pi5, so I can use it instead of the Windows PC as the file server, which is on all the time.
jRiver needs xserver session and it is not headless.
I tried it with X11VNC as described in this thread, and it was way too much overhead for de facto server.
Unlike most linux applications, JRiver requires a running xserver in order to work, which means it needs a desktop environment or window manager to be running. By far the easiest way to do that is to have a user account that auto-logs in to a desktop environment or window manager via a display manager, which is what I recommend. That way JRiver starts on every boot with no interaction.
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=123771.0

Dennis_FL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I did. As far as I can tell, headless is one of the things that slows a pi down when running Buster (the OS of the time). It seemed to expect a hard wire monitor as the primary, and headless as a secondary monitor, because it wanted you to set a screen size, instead of scaling to what you were using. At least, that’s how it seemed to me. Maybe I just never mastered it, because once I had piCorePlayer, I never looked back.
I run JRiver on a MacMini, with a windows PC as file server (not media server). You have to mount the network drive, then, on the Mac, but once you do, it’s smooth sailing. That’s why I got the pi5, so I can use it instead of the Windows PC as the file server, which is on all the time.
I still have roon (also running it on a Mac Mini with a NAS Synology music database) but I'm thinking of ditching it and going back to JRiver. I have one Pi4 as a Roon end point and one Pi4 as a Home Assistant --- The Pi5 is for just for testing now.

Top Bottom