• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is Toslink the preferred cable vs. USB?

OP
B

bassboy

Maybe I'm missing something but any particular reason why you don't go directly to your Denon AVR from your TV via Toslink?
Because I thought I need to run the TV Toslink directly to the DAC.

thecheapseats

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Dude, calm down. I'm new at this, okay? I have a tube integrated amp that I would prefer to use for music listening. My Denon is a model AVR4800, I am referring to the Denon manual. When I first used Spotify, I was only able to get audio through the TV speakers (horrible). Now, I am not hearing TV audio. If you read thecheapseats response above, he spells it out quite clearly. Thank You.
I am calm - I am thecheapseats - I realize you're new at this - and am trying to help...

so to conclude, you are hearing TV audio (spotify) via toslink > into the toslink input of the dac > into your tube amp... yes?...

OP
B

bassboy

I'm terribly sorry brother. I didn't realize it was you. This is just so freakin' frustrating, I'm about to spit. My tube integrated is connected via RCA's to one of the Denon's AUX inputs because I would prefer to listen to it versus the Denon. However, as I stated earlier, the Denon manual said that that input was only to be used if I wanted to boost the power of the Denon using another amp, but that's obviously not what I want to do. Does it matter which input I connect the tube integrated to on the Denon? There are several others available.
When I first installed a ROKU into one of my TV's HDMI inputs, it connected instantly to my WIFI, and after setting up the Spotify, I heard sound, but only through the TV's speakers. My wife said I didn't have a choice, but I don't believe that. There's something called Spotify Connect that I think I need to use to get sound through my wired analog system, but of course I don't know how to use it. It took an hour of searching to learn on yet another forum that I had to push the rotary knob on the front of the DAC in and insert the power plug at the same time to get to the settings menu on my DX3-Pro+. That worked, but I have yet to enter the settings. I just got burnt out. Do I need to be out of the settings menu for the DAC to operate correctly? If so, how do I get out of the settings menu and back to the main screen? I'm sorry to bury you with all this BS, but you seem to be the only person on here who is genuinely trying to help me without all the technical jargon, and I appreciate it very much. I'm ready to cash in my chips and sell the damn DAC. I can always listen to my LP's like I've done for the past 60 years.

OP
B

bassboy

I forgot to ask. Would I be better off buying a longer USB-A to USB-B cable like the one that came with the topping DAC, so as to eliminate any worries about jitter or dropouts.

thecheapseats

I forgot to ask. Would I be better off buying a longer USB-A to USB-B cable like the one that came with the topping DAC, so as to eliminate any worries about jitter or dropouts.
one step at a time man... that's step is not here yet...
however -> for convenience you should have/get /buy a usb-A to usb-B cable that is long enough to span the distance between your computer and your dac... you can buy:

(1) a new longer usb-A to usb-B cable or

(2) add a usa-A male to usb-A female extension cable to the cable you already have...

your choice...

thecheapseats

...I'm terribly sorry brother...
no problem... I sent you a PM...
...My tube integrated is connected via RCA's to one of the Denon's AUX inputs...
why?... you keep calling this a 'tube integrated' - is it an integrated preamp/amp unit (with a radio tuner, turntable inputs, aux inputs and a tube amplifier - or just a standalone tube amp?...

How do you control the volume of the signal coming out of the speakers connected to your tube integrated (your words)? - from the Denon? - or from the tube integrated amp?...

I ask because I don't want to tell you something that sends an unattenuated line signal (full volume signal) to an amp without an easily controlled input-volume control - or lacking one altogether...

your tube amp is likely (and should be connected) this way... from the Denon's Multi-Source RCA Outputs > to your tube amp's RCA Inputs... confirm this is the case please... (if not DON'T change it for crying out loud)...

but if that's the case, any device that is selected on your Denon - will play on the speakers connected to your tube amp - does that sound correct?...
...the Denon manual said that that input was only to be used if I wanted to boost the power of the Denon using another amp...
you misunderstand the Denon manual - it isn't written well or correctly... that would not boost the power of the Denon itself - it would allow you to add a second pair of speakers to increase volume... per your owner's manual:
Connecting the pre-out jacks
Use these jacks if you wish to connect external power amplifier(s) to
increase the power of the front, center and surround sound channels, or
for connection to powered loudspeakers. For instructions on using the
effect output, refer to page 44"...

...Does it matter which input I connect the tube integrated to on the Denon?...
you mean 'which output', not input - and heck yes, it matters... see my previous comments, above....
...When I first installed a ROKU into one of my TV's HDMI inputs, it connected instantly to my WIFI, and after setting up the Spotify, I heard sound, but only through the TV's speakers. My wife said I didn't have a choice, but I don't believe that...
that's what the ROKU should have done (connect via wi-fi) - and (I assume) you're using your ROKU to connect to spotify... yes?... your ROKU should have an analog or digital output - or both... that's another conversation...

so you do have a choice - you can do both (thru the TV and thru the Denon) - you and your wife are both right, sorta'...
...It took an hour of searching to learn on yet another forum that I had to push the rotary knob on the front of the DAC in and insert the power plug at the same time to get to the settings menu on my DX3-Pro+....
well you figured it out - so that's good...
...Do I need to be out of the settings menu for the DAC to operate correctly?... If so, how do I get out of the settings menu and back to the main screen?
I don't know - reboot it (cycle the power off/on) and see if it goes back to the main screen and starts working...
...I'm sorry to bury you with all this BS...
don't worry about it - but this needs to be taken offline here as a discussion... I can help you in PM (private messaging from now on)... is that acceptable?...
...I'm ready to cash in my chips and sell the damn DAC. I can always listen to my LP's like I've done for the past 60 years....
hang in there... no pain - no gain... this has gone from a simple "help me with my dac" - to "help me integrate my system"...

your Denon has a wealth of audio connections - both analog and digital (a good thing) - however it lacks hdmi integration (not a big deal) because of its age - but it's a fine unit... however, with all of that and an additional tube unit - things get complicated for you (not me) - so I need to understand what you're saying...

additionally, you haven't specified - but from your descriptions I have questions - but they are only important AFTER we get this dac passing audio...

(1) do you have a pair of speakers hooked up to the Denon? or just to the integrated tube unit?

(2) you keep calling this a 'tube integrated' - is it an integrated preamp/amp unit (with a radio tuner and aux inputs and a tube amplifier - or just a standalone tube amp?...

(3) you're using one pair of speakers hooked up to your tube amp?... or am I assuming incorrectly?...

(4) when you watch tv, you use your TV's speakers, not your music speakers?... (would you ever 'want' TV audio from the TV you are watching playing on your speakers? - if so, that's a different conversation for later)...

and after spending a lot of time writing here - this just isn't the right way to help you... I'll continue after this message in PMs here... check your messages...

davide78

Let's try to do one step at a time. You don't need a USB cable now, and you do not need to mess with the settings on the Topping to get the basic things going:
1. connect the TV to the Topping with the toslink cable.
2. Are your spkeakers connected to the Denon AVR or the Tube amp? Connect the RCA out of the Topping (red and white outs on the back) to one of the input of the same amplifier where your speaker are connected, and put aside the other one
2. select the Optical In input on the Topping using the remote: push the < > buttons until [OPT] lights up on the front
3. now you should hear the audio of the TV coming out of the speakers

Don't move on until you get there. If the audio is still coming out from the TV speakers, then you have to tell your TV to output the audio on the toslink instead of the internal speakers. How you do this depends on the make and model of your TV. On my Sony I have to push the Option button on the TV remote, select "Speakers" and then "Audio System". Yours may be different of course.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
So it's simply: does it work or does it not work?

In my experience with digital transmission, that's the usual case.

With longer lengths, you might have "low speed works, high speed doesn't".

But that's another case of it works or it doesn't, to me.

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
What do I have to do to notice these problems, since I don't?
See this post from @Roland68 The incorrect data can be observed with an S/PDIF analyser such as their Sony DSC-88. The old AK4118 appears to be better at handling the nonsense than other receiver chipsets which more expect something adhering to the standard.

Top Bottom