• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is there anything better then a Airport Express?

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have 2 newer Airport Express. I've bought an Allo Boss2, and a couple other streamers that ultimately didn't work better and probably didn't spec better than AirPlay 2. Also and a big plus the Airport Express has no clicking when the bit rate changes.

So what streamer works best? I have Apple Music and Amazon Music.

Chazz6

I use a Denon Link HS2, which receives wi-fi. It goes up to 24 bit/192 kHz. I feed its Toslink output to a JDS Lab Atom DAC.
But I am on Windows, not Apple, and when it comes to highest quality streams, I get a FLAC file and serve it to the wi-fi network.

elliott

If you're in the Apple ecosystem, I'm not sure there's much better, especially at the 35 dollars they go for on ebay. I remember reading a Ken Rockwell review (take that with a grain of salt), but passing uncompressed ALAC over the air and feeding that into a DAC from the SPDIF output, whole house synced sound with Airplay 2, I doubt any other streaming is going to sound better to your ears, or be more convenient.

OP
NiagaraPete

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you're in the Apple ecosystem, I'm not sure there's much better, especially at the 35 dollars they go for on ebay. I remember reading a Ken Rockwell review (take that with a grain of salt), but passing uncompressed ALAC over the air and feeding that into a DAC from the SPDIF output, whole house synced sound with Airplay 2, I doubt any other streaming is going to sound better to your ears, or be more convenient.
That's my quandary.

elliott

Seems like you've made it to the promise land to me. I'm in the same position and I just hate the day when my APEs die on me.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You are not constrained to an Apple device. Windows can send music to any AirPlay compatible device. See this article for options you have. I use TuneBlade and it works perfectly with Spotify. Naturally you can use iTunes for Windows for downloaded or ripped tracks directly.

OP
NiagaraPete

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You are not constrained to an Apple device. Windows can send music to any AirPlay compatible device. See this article for options you have. I use TuneBlade and it works perfectly with Spotify. Naturally you can use iTunes for Windows for downloaded or ripped tracks directly.
I don't use Widows at all, Linux pc and Apple for phone and tablet. Shairport and GMrender. The problem with Shairport is its limited to the bit rate and frequency you set. It doesn't auto select. GMrender works great over network. Apple needs get get busy and update Airplay to full lossless.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't use Widows at all, Linux pc and Apple for phone and tablet. Shairport and GMrender. The problem with Shairport is its limited to the bit rate and frequency you set. It doesn't auto select. GMrender works great over network. Apple needs get get busy and update Airplay to full lossless.
I was simply correcting your post that says “if you are in the Apple ecosystem”, which gave the false information that only Apple ecosystem works with AirPlay.

Katji

Major Contributor
They are busy with that - very busy, going by what I've seen in Macrumors RSS feed in the last couple weeks. (I don't read the articles, just whatever gets into the RSS text.)

elliott

I was simply correcting your post that says “if you are in the Apple ecosystem”, which gave the false information that only Apple ecosystem works with AirPlay.
That’s was me that said it. Yeah I’m sure AirPlay works with windows. i meant If you’re in the apple ecosystem airport express are great, that statement doesn’t also mean if you’re in the windows ecosystem it wont be great, but I can see how that could be confusing. My bad.

Back to the thread, I have one of those 100 dollar room correction boxes and it’s also a streamer using one of those open standards for whole house audio. I gave it a try and missed all the apple integrations like telling Siri to take the music coming into my headphones and play it in the kitchen when I’m coming home for dinner. It might serve your needs though and then that would open up a whole world tiny black boxes to choose from.

Freighter

I have the exact same question! Possibly the Belkin Soundform Connect. However I can't find any measurements or reviews on it, so it might be better, it might not be. Belkin isn't the most reliable company when it comes to quality products (sometimes they're great, sometimes they're not).

Possibly an Apple TV if your amp has HDMI?

OP
NiagaraPete

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have the exact same question! Possibly the Belkin Soundform Connect. However I can't find any measurements or reviews on it, so it might be better, it might not be. Belkin isn't the most reliable company when it comes to quality products (sometimes they're great, sometimes they're not).

Possibly an Apple TV if your amp has HDMI?
Apple TV has an optical audio out

Zensō

Major Contributor
Apple TV has an optical audio out
Only the older model though. For some inexplicable reason they removed the optical audio out on the new model, which now requires an HDMI audio extractor. I’m an Apple guy, but some of these decisions are perplexing to say the least.

Reactions: Mat
OP
NiagaraPete

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Only the older model though. For some inexplicable reason they removed the optical audio out on the new model, which now requires an HDMI audio extractor. I’m an Apple guy, but some of these decisions are perplexing to say the least.
Man, that sucks.

elliott

It really does. I’ve replaced the hdmi extractor for an airport express because I doubt any of those hdmi extractors even have public spec sheets.

Top Bottom