• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is there a tube amp worth getting?

ShiZo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Being more in the objectivist camp I've generally stayed away from tube amps because of their worse technical performance. I was wondering if there are any tube amps worth a salt out there? Maybe some with low distortion aside for the "good" harmonic distortion or something like that?

twsecrest

Might help to list a budget?
Tube (OTL) headphone amplifiers are usually used for high impedance (Ohm) headphones.
What headphones do you own or are planning on buying?

OP
S

ShiZo

Forum Donor
Tube (OTL) headphone amplifiers are usually used for high impedance (Ohm) headphones.
Probably something under $5000.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
based on SQ only?

to drive speakers?

OP
S

ShiZo

Forum Donor
based on SQ only?

to drive speakers?
SQ. Low noise flow with maybe harmonic distortion where it is supposed to sound good (if that's the point?). I'm not really sure the science behind it. I have the hpa4 for solid state technical performance. Maybe I shouldn't mess with tubes at all...

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
SQ. Low noise flow with maybe harmonic distortion where it is supposed to sound good (if that's the point?). I'm not really sure the science behind it. I have the hpa4 for solid state technical performance. Maybe I shouldn't mess with tubes at all...
This. If you still cannot resist look for a tube based audio processor (you'll find such in pro music shops, maybe something like this) where you can play with the amount of added distortion.

Zensō

Major Contributor
just add some euphonic distortion using software
I agree. This is trivial to do digitally and much less hassle than mucking around with tubes. That said, if you like the look of tube amps, go for it and have fun with your new mood lamp! ;)

gingerbeer

I have a Eddie Current Zana Deux, which is one of the highly regarded single ended tube OTL amps for high impedance cans. Head-fi and SBAF speak very highly of these FWIW.

I do happen to be selling it as I’m downsizing. Comes with lots of tubes for tube rolling too - if you’re interested drop me a PM

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
DIY OK?

Pete Millet's Jonokuchi looks like a worthy choice.

Some of the Bottlehead stuff ought to be worth a look too.

Elekit is more traditional Heathkit-style build but the parts fit together better. TU-879S should be a fun build. Other EK are either pricier or (I think) solve headphone impedance question by driving them with opamps.

When you're super-proud of something you put together yourself, it's pretty much guaranteed to sound awesome.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
I like the Darkvoice 336SE and Loxjie P20. The DV has terrible sound quality and is kind of a crummy curcuit, but it gives you a real taste of things and changes the response of phones like HD6XX. The Loxjie has a very clean sound but uses a bridge rectifier and opamps. You could get both of these just to dabble. Other obvious ones I would like to try are Schiit Lyr and Valhalla which are built way better, and will perform way better than the DV.

Valhalla

Being more in the objectivist camp I've generally stayed away from tube amps because of their worse technical performance. I was wondering if there are any tube amps worth a salt out there? Maybe some with low distortion aside for the "good" harmonic distortion or something like that?

Audio Note Japan (Kegon) $150k Kagura tube amplifier has 5%THD and still sounds amazing according to available reviews.

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
When younger, I dreamed having a 300B and some +100db/1W/1m SPL speakers
A beautiful looking tube and purist solution, with sound bliss.

Who knows maybe in some future.

There is nothing wrong in bad measuring gear.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
When younger, I dreamed having a 300B and some +100db/1W/1m SPL speakers
A beautiful looking tube and purist solution, with sound bliss.

Who knows maybe in some future.

There is nothing wrong in bad measuring gear.
I love 300B and other directly heated triodes like 845.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Honestly, if you feel you need to ask whether there are any tube amps worth getting, you probably should stick with solid state.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Just realized OP didn't specify headphone amp. For speaker amps I would get something inexpensive, Chinese, and preferably single ended triode with directly heated tubes. Reisong A50 MkIII 300b SET amp is one I have been eyeing. I have a Shuguang SG-845-7 that looks great but it has been a headache lately. If I could do It again, I'd probably start with Reisong A50 or A10 or a Laochen of similar configuration. If you want to spend more, maybe Line Magnetic or Cayin equivalents, or one of their 845 amps.

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This one looks pretty cool - MHA200
1617582800276.png

Top Bottom