• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is there a tube amp worth getting?

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There was some pretty good stuff built in the 70 and 80's Carver was not one of the them.

antennaguru

I have built a lot of stereo tube amps over the years, and decided to keep only one. It's an ultralinear EL84 amp I built 25 years ago that sounds pretty nice driving efficient speakers. I also know that EL84 tubes will always be available as they are one of the most popular used in guitar amps. All of my others with bigger tubes have been sold off or traded.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I own a Audio Research CA-50 (1997) it still sounds really good. AR has the new I/50 now. haven't heard it but would like to. I mostly listen to my YBA Integre DT because it has a touch more bass and my sneakers are a little difficult to drive at volume, but the AR really sounds better more revealing in the mid ranges. Although mostly tubed gear, AR has always tried to remove the tube sound with something more like a solid state amp. When I play the CA-50 for my audiophile friends they tell me not to ever sell it to anyone but them. Look into Audio Research Corporation gear new and vintage.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
When younger, I dreamed having a 300B and some +100db/1W/1m SPL speakers
A beautiful looking tube and purist solution, with sound bliss.

Who knows maybe in some future.

There is nothing wrong in bad measuring gear.

I have some of my most fun with bad measuring gear.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I own a Audio Research CA-50 (1997) it still sounds really good. AR has the new I/50 now. haven't heard it but would like to. I mostly listen to my YBA Integre DT because it has a touch more bass and my sneakers are a little difficult to drive at volume, but the AR really sounds better more revealing in the mid ranges. Although mostly tubed gear, AR has always tried to remove the tube sound with something more like a solid state amp. When I play the CA-50 for my audiophile friends they tell me not to ever sell it to anyone but them. Look into Audio Research Corporation gear new and vintage.
Lucky guy. AR was always out of my pay grade. I ended up with Linn. New Linn not for me but the 90’ and 2000’s I really liked.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
I have an Audio Research D-76A, a McIntosh MC240 and a pair of mono Dynaco MKIIIs which I have used to drive the low frequencies on my active crossover system driving Altec Lansing A7-500s. Somehow I've always come back to the Dynaco MK IIIs because (U N S C I E N T I F I C A L L Y) they always sound best to me.

I know. Whatever. :(

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Lucky guy. AR was always out of my pay grade.
Same here, when auditioning in the late 90s I skipped the ARC CA50 because of price and regretted it. So when I found it used for half price five years later I snagged it. And it was their most inexpensive unit. There have been very few ARC duds according to some, so any buyer should do their research. The good stuff moves quickly when it comes on to the used market.

birkbott

I built a Tubelab SSE that I run in triode mode with KT88s. I use it to run sone 2 Pi Towers and it sounds awesome. I used huge Edcor output transformers.
FF86CC21-FDC0-4AA6-82FA-3BABE4BD26EE.jpeg

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
That's a clean build but I'd take off that plexiglass and let the tubes breathe free.

birkbott

That's a clean build but I'd take off that plexiglass and let the tubes breathe free.
I would but there’s 450 volts on that circuit board and I got kids in the house. The back is open and there are holes drilled in the top. The tubes get warm but don’t seem like they are overly hot to me.

Edit: this pic is from when it was first built, I have since added feet to the plexi cover to let air in the bottom. My plan is to build a new cover that is shorter so the tubes can poke out the top but i haven’t gotten around to it yet.

Last edited:

egellings

Major Contributor
I'd have the plexiglass come up to the tubes' bases and no higher. That way, the tubes can dissipate their heat, and you get protection for the circuit board and from accidental electrical shock.

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd have the plexiglass come up to the tubes' bases and no higher. That way, the tubes can dissipate their heat, and you get protection for the circuit board and from accidental electrical shock.

Something like this

0b526a74c92f7bf5b368cd0b38a93cc2.jpg

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Something like this

0b526a74c92f7bf5b368cd0b38a93cc2.jpg
whoa, that is ugly.
de gustibus non est disputandum, though.

On topic -- if kid/pet proofing's required, a cage is probably, ahem, the best practice.
NOT
putting a PC board with bare HV connections and through-hole-wired components out in the breeze (as opposed to under the chassis) would be an even better best practice.

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
whoa, that is ugly.
de gustibus non est disputandum, though.

On topic -- if kid/pet proofing's required, a cage is probably, ahem, the best practice.
NOT
putting a PC board with bare HV connections and through-hole-wired components out in the breeze (as opposed to under the chassis) would be an even better best practice.
Agree.
I prefer post #29's style .... but kids ...

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If your close in NY, this one is local pick up. Less than the kit price. Send it to Amir after you get it. Gets good press. Love to see the test result.

OOPS SORRY DON'T SEE ANY TUBES IN THERE. Assume makes an ass out of you and me. Me

Last edited:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
If your close in NY, this one is local pick up. Less than the kit price. Send it to Amir after you get it. Gets good press. Love to see the test result.

OOPS SORRY DON'T SEE ANY TUBES IN THERE. Assume makes an ass out of you and me.
@amirm tested an ACA.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry once again. Will be more diligent next time. :facepalm:

Grumpish

I built a Tubelab SSE that I run in triode mode with KT88s. I use it to run sone 2 Pi Towers and it sounds awesome. I used huge Edcor output transformers. View attachment 178926

I have a Tubelab SE with some ancient RCA Type 45 tubes in doing service as a headphone amplifier, with some custom made output transformers - a whole 1.5W per channel. Yes, my little Massdrop THX 789 wipes the floor with it when it comes to performance, but I still love the noises it makes. Sorry, no pics, my DIY skills when it comes to metalwork are embarrassingly bad.

Last edited:
Top Bottom