• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is the Performance of a DAC Linked toCost?

antcollinet

Master Contributor
"reduced fidelity" you say. Now there is a topic worth exploring, personalty I am willing to sacrifice a bit of fidelity for musical listenability. I listen to music by musicians, not the recording engineering's fantasy or over production.
How do you get closer to what the musicians did by the DAC adding even more distortion to whatever the recording engineer did?

The only way to listen to musicians instead of "the recording engineers fantasy" is to go see them live.

thecheapseats

Addicted to Fun and Learning
A product is not only about sound quality metrics . It's build quality features and the local sales and service representation !
that^^^ I had an early-component failure (less than 50 hours use) on the pcb of a benchmark dac2 hgc (hey - stuff happens no materr how much you pay)... the fact they are a domestic mfg (u.s. for me) - confirming the failure, arranging both-ways shipping and repair was easy, painless and very quick... for me, that has value...

Last edited:

Els

How do you get closer to what the musicians did by the DAC adding even more distortion to whatever the recording engineer did?

The only way to listen to musicians instead of "the recording engineers fantasy" is to go see them live.
Which Dacs add more distortion?

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Just look at the bottom end of the scale of the Dacs Amir has tested, off the top of my head Total Dac,

Keith

ex audiophile

Forum Donor
Sound quality is no longer a factor among quality DACs IMO, so when I chose the Benchmark DAC3B I did so because:

1- It integrates perfectly with the LA4 preamp I was using
2- Build quality and reliability are superb
3- Five year warranty
4- Excellent customer support and service if needed
5- Excellent resale value
6- Satisfaction of ownership, built in America

charleski

Major Contributor
Just look at the bottom end of the scale of the Dacs Amir has tested, off the top of my head Total Dac,

Keith
Well that was back in 2019. We've really moved on since then, as demonstrated by a review from this month's Stereophile:
https://www.stereophile.com/content/mojo-mystique-x-se-da-processor-measurements
Just look at the linearity - screwing things up that badly requires real dedication!

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Which Dacs add more distortion?
Well they can do nothing - be totally transparent.

Or they can add noise.

Or they can add distortion

Or they can add noise and distortion.

Together with any of these, they can mangle the frequency response

All dacs do this (both noise and distortion). For nearly all of them the level of noise and distortion they add is inaudible - making them effectively transparent. Some are badly designed and the distortion they add is audible. This happens with both cheap and expensive models. But if you can hear the difference it cannot be an increase in fidelity.

What they can't do is modify the signal in any constructive way (such as removing anything the recording engineer did)

Last edited:

DSJR

Major Contributor
I used my 'dac for a fiver' box for a while in my second system as a main source. It was hidden so I totally forgot it was there! I compared the wall wart I bought for it originally to a linear supply I made up and felt the sound was slightly better with the latter, but this on headphones listening as an 'audiophile' with no checks whatsoever. It's now connected optically to out telly and hardly used, with the wall war powering it!

Last year, I splashed out the massive sum of £23 for a Fiio Taishan dac for the second system (an entirely satisfactory Sony La Scala midi type from the 90's but with preamp instead of the integrated currently). Performance of said dac isn't that wonderful it seems although I don't think anything is especially broken in the balance of performance parameters it offers. Again, it's hidden round the back and 'sounds' just fine being fed by the PC up there and I can hear differences in production and so on from the tracks I play. One day, I'll invest in a baby Schiit dac as I like the looks and 'story' behind the company and its owners....

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I used my 'dac for a fiver' box for a while in my second system as a main source. It was hidden so I totally forgot it was there! I compared the wall wart I bought for it originally to a linear supply I made up and felt the sound was slightly better with the latter, but this on headphones listening as an 'audiophile' with no checks whatsoever. It's now connected optically to out telly and hardly used, with the wall war powering it!

Last year, I splashed out the massive sum of £23 for a Fiio Taishan dac for the second system (an entirely satisfactory Sony La Scala midi type from the 90's but with preamp instead of the integrated currently). Performance of said dac isn't that wonderful it seems although I don't think anything is especially broken in the balance of performance parameters it offers. Again, it's hidden round the back and 'sounds' just fine being fed by the PC up there and I can hear differences in production and so on from the tracks I play. One day, I'll invest in a baby Schiit dac as I like the looks and 'story' behind the company and its owners....
I don’t think they have one called the ‘baby shit’ you should write to them there could be a commission.
Keith

Els

Keith
OK, so this is a bad product, they were over ambitious and tried to bring lots tweeks and fonctions on the analog output. Not the case with the outrageously expensive Chord Audio. What is your point?

thecheapseats

a notable event when I was dragged by my brother-in-law (almost against my will) to his preferred audio retailer when he was shopping for a new dac (by appointment only)...

I did try to dummy up as best I could - however, when I asked the salesperson if we could open it up and look inside (of his $12k+ dac) he looked at me as if I were a homeless person that had wandered into the store, asking to use their restroom...

"sorry we don't allow that'"... was his response... I suppose I broke decorum...

Els

a notable event when I was dragged by my brother-in-law (almost against my will) to his preferred audio retailer when he was shopping for a new dac (by appointment only)...

I did try to dummy up as best I could - however, when I asked the salesperson if we could open it up and look inside (of his $12k+ dac) he looked at me as if I were a homeless person that had wandered into the store, asking to use their restroom...

"sorry we don't allow that'"... was his response... I suppose I broke decorum...
Audio retailers are an endangered Species.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
OK, so this is a bad product, they were over ambitious and tried to bring lots tweeks and fonctions on the analog output. Not the case with the outrageously expensive Chord Audio. What is your point?
‘Over ambitious’ I would have thought incompetent.
Keith

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Someone who is inside an industry.
Keith

Top Bottom