• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is Nearfield Auro 3d possible?

theshade

I took this from the genelec monitor setup guide. I currently have my speakers nearfield and the projection screen is far like the in the genelec diagram below.

genelec nearfield.JPG

P10623-133414.jpg

Can I also put the elevated speakers vertically above the lower layer speakers thus being nearfield also for auro 3d? I like how the nearfield setup sounds and I dont run into spl problems. Thanks

OP
T

theshade

OP
T

theshade

What are these speakers? Are these 8050b's, 8040b's or 8030c's?
genelec 80x0.JPG

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was also inspired by sancus pic here of the stands and was thinking whether it could handle two 8030 instead of neumann kh 80.

I think probably yes. The friction clamp on the 19780 won't hold up a Genelec 8351B(it slowly drags down), but that's over 14kg. The 8030C is only 5kg so it should probably be OK. I'm actually not sure what the real maximum weight of that thing is. K&M claims 15kg but that's definitely not true. I emailed them to ask about it.

One thing you should take note of is that Auro3D has specified elevation angles to the listener for their heights, 30-40 degrees. It looks to me like they handled that in the above nearfield setup by keeping some of the speakers at lower heights. It's probably not too important to get this perfect, especially if you're only using the heights for reflections with upmixing. I don't have any issues with this since my heights are mostly 2m+ from the MLP.

OP
T

theshade

Why not move the speakers closer to the screen?
The screen is about 12 to 13 feet away. My previous speakers are behind the screen and the center speaker remains there but I opted to place the genelecs in front of the screen to avoid hitting spl limitations. And I guiltily admit that I want to see my new speakers :). The pic is probably just because of camera focal length and they are 59 to 63 inches away from the listening position depending on the tilt of the recliner. Additionally, I wanted to follow this by genelec so I wanted the 8030c to be less than 2 meters away.
correct-monitors-direct_sound_dominance-chart.jpg

Top Bottom