• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is it worth buying used integrated amplifiers like yamaha ax590 or is it better to just get something like Aiyima or Loxije?

robot34

At first I was looking at active monitors like iloud micro, presonus eris e5, jbl 305. But they don't seem like good value when compared to something like used integrated amplifier and used speakers like kef c55 or q100, or am I wrong?
Also these used old integrated amplifiers, are they likely to have problems and need repair? Do they sound significantly better than chinese amplifiers like Aiyima and Lojie?

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Studio monitors (self-powered speakers), will come with 2 built in amplifiers, one for the tweeter and one for the woofer, which helps with audio detail. Where as a unpowered speaker will use one amplifier to drive the tweeter and the woofer and also maybe a mid-range driver.
Older speaker amplifiers should be just as good as those used in modern speaker amplifiers.
Will an older speaker amplifier need repairs?
Who knows?

OP
R

robot34

Studio monitors (self-powered speakers), will come with 2 built in amplifiers, one for the tweeter and one for the woofer, which helps with audio detail. Where as a unpowered speaker will use one amplifier to drive the tweeter and the woofer and also maybe a mid-range driver.
Older speaker amplifiers should be just as good as those used in modern speaker amplifiers.
Will an older speaker amplifier need repairs?
Who knows?
Well for price of new Yamaha A-S201 I could get two used Yamaha AX-590 which seems to have better internals? I mean if an amp from 90's lasted this long and still works well, I suppose chances are its going to continue to do so for at least few more years? Where as I get 2 year warranty for a new one, so it doesn't seem worth it to buy new.
I would rather take a Yamaha AX-596 / AX597.:cool:
I'll try looking for those, they seem bit more expensive, are they noticably better?

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Buying used is always a gamble. The older a model, the more likely it is to suffer from age-related ailments (speaker protection relays and source selector switches are typical neuralgic points). The differences between AX-590, AX-592 and AX-596 generally aren't massive (the 590 has slightly less power into 4 ohms, the 592 is the heaviest), but the last model could be an entire decade newer than the first. First and foremost I'd be looking at condition and accessories included though (e.g. remote, possibly original box).

It be noted that in Yamahas with CD-Direct, the CD input is actually best used not for a (fixed-level) CD player but rather a variable-output source like a PC. Otherwise the preamp stage takes quite a beating at high input levels. Details are here.

OP
R

robot34

Buying used is always a gamble. The older a model, the more likely it is to suffer from age-related ailments (speaker protection relays and source selector switches are typical neuralgic points). The differences between AX-590, AX-592 and AX-596 generally aren't massive (the 590 has slightly less power into 4 ohms, the 592 is the heaviest), but the last model could be an entire decade newer than the first. First and foremost I'd be looking at condition and accessories included though (e.g. remote, possibly original box).

It be noted that in Yamahas with CD-Direct, the CD input is actually best used not for a (fixed-level) CD player but rather a variable-output source like a PC. Otherwise the preamp stage takes quite a beating at high input levels. Details are here.
Any newer models worth looking for used?

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
May I recommend going with a separate power-amp, instead?
May I recommend not purchasing anything older than about 5 years?
May I ask you what your price range is?
Stand-alone power-amps don't normally become old technology quickly.
Yes, sure! You may change speakers and need more power or you may decide to 65[?] channel audio in the future...:D
Unlike, preAmps/Processors/AVs/etc., which have standards that keep changing, upgrading, morphing, etc.
It's all here @asr; for you to pick and choose from.
Stay a while and see the offerings. Welcome!

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The rule of thumb I have seen on these forums around old amplifiers is expect to replace capacitors at 20 years. So if you are buying something from the 90's you should include refurbishing it in your budget and find a reliable repair shop that can source the capacitors you need. At that point they can test all the components and see if everything else needs repair.

Regarding comparing old amps to new ones. Amir's measurements index is your best source for assessing the quality of new amps. I'd search stereophile reviews for measurements of the old amps.

OP
R

robot34

May I recommend going with a separate power-amp, instead?
May I recommend not purchasing anything older than about 5 years?
May I ask you what your price range is?
Stand-alone power-amps don't normally become old technology quickly.
Yes, sure! You may change speakers and need more power or you may decide to 65[?] channel audio in the future...:D
Unlike, preAmps/Processors/AVs/etc., which have standards that keep changing, upgrading, morphing, etc.
It's all here @asr; for you to pick and choose from.
Stay a while and see the offerings. Welcome!
Power amp would work too as I have a dac I can use as a preamp.
Not purchasing anything older than 5 years sounds good to me.
I would like to stay as low as possible with the price, 100-150 euro would be ideal. Do you have any suggestions for models to look for?

I'll probably be sticking to 2.0 system with this desktop setup.
The rule of thumb I have seen on these forums around old amplifiers is expect to replace capacitors at 20 years. So if you are buying something from the 90's you should include refurbishing it in your budget and find a reliable repair shop that can source the capacitors you need. At that point they can test all the components and see if everything else needs repair.

Regarding comparing old amps to new ones. Amir's measurements index is your best source for assessing the quality of new amps. I'd search stereophile reviews for measurements of the old amps.
Thanks for the info and I will look into it!

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you have any suggestions for models to look for?
You can ask 10 members and probably get 11 different answers! :facepalm:
The more important task ahead is to try to (use your own crystal-ball and) see how your needs may change in the future (few years+).
Maybe you will need HDMI I/O routing, or join a streaming service that is going MQA/Qobus, or you need BlueTooth, or want to step up to some EQ, or subs, or XLRs.
Enjoy the journey but resist the temptation to ask too general questions...;)

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think I'd first make up my mind on the speakers I plan to use. Worry about an amp (and why an integrated amp at all?) if you go passive. Look for a good pre-amp that can be used either way might be a good approach.

OP
R

robot34

You can ask 10 members and probably get 11 different answers! :facepalm:
The more important task ahead is to try to (use your own crystal-ball and) see how your needs may change in the future (few years+).
Maybe you will need HDMI I/O routing, or join a streaming service that is going MQA/Qobus, or you need BlueTooth, or want to step up to some EQ, or subs, or XLRs.
Enjoy the journey but resist the temptation to ask too general questions...;)
I just need it for 2.0 setup none of those mqa bluetooths hdmis ios eq subs or xlrs for me thank you. Are there that many power amps that came out in the last 5 years under 150 euro that people don't know what to get?
I think I'd first make up my mind on the speakers I plan to use. Worry about an amp (and why an integrated amp at all?) if you go passive. Look for a good pre-amp that can be used either way might be a good approach.
Noted.

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
If you don't need full preamp functionality, the cheap and easy way to go is an Aiyima a07 with a 30v 5a power supply and an inexpensive four-input RCA selector box feeding the amp. Plenty of power for small to medium sized rooms. I use mine with many different 2-way speakers for great sound. The other option would be the entry level 2-channel Yamaha or Onkyo integrated amplifiers. I don't think NAD has anything under $300 US. I use a variety of vintage receivers and integrated amps too, some restored, some not. But yes, it can be hit and miss and if an older unit goes bad, it can zap your other components. Good luck. I am a fan of Aiyima's equipment, it's basic but a great place to start.

OP
R

robot34

If you don't need full preamp functionality, the cheap and easy way to go is an Aiyima a07 with a 30v 5a power supply and an inexpensive four-input RCA selector box feeding the amp. Plenty of power for small to medium sized rooms. I use mine with many different 2-way speakers for great sound. The other option would be the entry level 2-channel Yamaha or Onkyo integrated amplifiers. I don't think NAD has anything under $300 US. I use a variety of vintage receivers and integrated amps too, some restored, some not. But yes, it can be hit and miss and if an older unit goes bad, it can zap your other components. Good luck. I am a fan of Aiyima's equipment, it's basic but a great place to start.
would there be a big difference between aiyima a07 and something like yamaha ax-590 for kef c55 or q350 and later on maybe kef meta?

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
At first I was looking at active monitors like iloud micro, presonus eris e5, jbl 305. But they don't seem like good value when compared to something like used integrated amplifier and used speakers like kef c55 or q100, or am I wrong?
I don't think you are. Another benefit of buying speakers and amp is flexibility for the future.
  • You want to compare a second pair of speakers? Just hook them up.
  • You want to add a systemwide MiniDSP? Make sure your used amp has pre-out/main-in.
  • You want to buy a record player but don't want to waste money? Get a used middle class player for the price of todays low end and connect it to phono in.
This isn't as easy with active speakers.

Also these used old integrated amplifiers, are they likely to have problems and need repair? Do they sound significantly better than chinese amplifiers like Aiyima and Lojie?
I don't think they sound better or worse by much. I just think you get more for the money if you buy a used integrated amp.

Well for price of new Yamaha A-S201 I could get two used Yamaha AX-590 which seems to have better internals?
To be honest, i would skip the A-S201 and R-S202, they sound weak and you need very forgiving speakers to have real fun with them.
I think Yamaha starts at A-S300/301.

I mean if an amp from 90's lasted this long and still works well,
I wouldn't go back that far, potentiometers get scratchy, relays get crusty. I would stay within the last 5 years or so to get another 10 years of usage.

One of the best in value right now, i think, is the Yamaha R-S700. It has all the features i would want in a used amp:
  • pre-out/main-in loop for EQ or DSP
  • variable loudness
  • plenty of power (same power amp section as the A-S700, A-S701, A-S801)
  • looks very nice in silver
  • runs a bit under the radar as a receiver, can be had for 200€, sometimes for less with patience
This is what it looks like from the inside:

Also worth looking at at Yamaha, but without pre-in/main-out:
  • A-S300/301
  • A-S500/501
  • A-S700/701
Here is what those numbers and letters mean at Yamaha:
  • The 1 at the end is the newer line and has a builtin DAC to connect two digital sources, like a TV, XBox, CD-Player or Computer (you may need an external soundcard with digital toslink or coax output for 15€).
  • The A is for Amplifier, a R is for Receiver. The S is the current line of products.
  • A R-S is an analog FM receiver, R-N means it has network capabilities and builtin streaming. These are still pricey, even used.
  • The higher the number, the better the power amplifier section. 500 is better than 300, in power and construction. For example, i think a A-S201 can only be used with 8 ohm speakers. A 301 can be used with 4 ohms. You need proper cooling for 4 ohms, which the 200 line does not have.

As for used speakers, i find the Kef LS50 (first version without Meta) to be incredible value right now at sometimes 500€ for the used pair. But that might be above your budget still. If you can get a Q350 that would be a very good combination with the R-S700.

The Yamaha amps have a subwoofer output, so you can add a used subwoofer later, which for music makes a lot of difference.

Anyway, lots of text. In fewer words: get a R-S700 and a pair of LS50 or Q350 for maximum value, all used of course.

DSJR

Major Contributor
AS 201 weak at over 100WPC measured? OK - I haven't 'heard' one, so cannot comment further...

I hope Restorer John and other techies could confirm, but many 1970's far eastern amps are still working fine on original components, but I think it's noisy switchgear, controls and dry solder joints that's probably the killer for many. UK and European products from this era not the case, as the dreaded 'ERO' encapsulated electrolytics can bulge and fracture and the supply caps weren't often good either (older Quad amps a personal case in point)

DanielT

Major Contributor
In what condition is that Yamaha ax590? How much is it sold for?

Can you service amplifiers yourself? Can you replace electronics, such as electrolytic capacitors in the power supply, in an amplifier?

C141
C142
in the schedule, you will find here:

Looks at the picture not so difficult to access, if you get the card loose. But that is something that someone who is doing recap can give their view on.:)

Edit:
If you think it's worth spending money on recap, plus the time it takes to fix. If you think it has potential.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-05-04_125735.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-05-04_125735.jpg
    807.7 KB · Views: 151
  • DSD_9037.jpeg
    DSD_9037.jpeg
    205.5 KB · Views: 330
Last edited:
Top Bottom