• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is it possible to EQ Left and Right Discrepancies in asymmetric room

This is the Left and Right measurements of LS50 Metas on an asymmetric fixed desk setup. This is the best I can get with room placement. The left and right speaker frequency response are opposite between 100 and 500. 45ish is a room null I cannot EQ out. Does it make sense to try to EQ these out and should I try to just tackle the peaks for left and right? I am using Soundsource for EQ and have a very basic understanding of REW.

ozzy9832001

This is the Left and Right measurements of LS50 Metas on an asymmetric fixed desk setup. This is the best I can get with room placement. The left and right speaker frequency response are opposite between 100 and 500. 45ish is a room null I cannot EQ out. Does it make sense to try to EQ these out and should I try to just tackle the peaks for left and right? I am using Soundsource for EQ and have a very basic understanding of REW.
Which color represents which speaker? 400hz is probably a sidewall reflection and 160hz is probably modal. What are your room dimensions? Do you have a subwoofer?

Can you save the .mdat file from REW and upload it as a .zip file so we can download it and take a look at everything?

OP
C
I saved the files without a sub to make it less complicated. Orange is Left, Blue is right.

This is a rough of the room. It is not square at all. The right speaker is under an overhead cabinet.

Speakers are about 36 inches apart, 2 feet from the listening position. The listening position and monitor are fixed.

Unfortunately the speakers are pretty much against the wall. The desk is only 24 deep. The height of the speakers only changes the very top end and made the frequency response lean upward instead of down. They are at ear level.

Attachments

• LS50 Meta.mdat.zip
    2.6 MB · Views: 41
Last edited:

dlaloum

Major Contributor
It is a risky proposition, as typically the variance between the two will be the reflected sound, and not the direct sound, but the EQ is non specific...

So you would be EQ'ing based on the total voicing result, but you would then affect the direct sound imaging of your setup.

If you were measuring time gated F/R - ie: the direct sound only, and excluding the reflections, then I would say "yes definitely"

But by default.... here be dragons!

ozzy9832001

Honestly, it's really not that bad. I'd really need to see with the sub connected how it all comes together because that can impact the issue at 160hz, which I believe is modal.

You could cross the sub over higher and probably fix the issue at 160 and some of the other issues in the mid/low bass. You'd have to move it though either between the speakers or directly behind you or you'll be able to localize the higher frequencies coming from it.

OP
C
Thanks for looking. The sub is currently almost directly behind the listening position, about 24 inches off the ground. Cut off was set at 160.

Attachments

• LS50 Meta with Sub.mdat.zip
    2.6 MB · Views: 33

ozzy9832001

Thanks for looking. The sub is currently almost directly behind the listening position, about 24 inches off the ground. Cut off was set at 160.
Looking over the graphs, it appears on the right side you are missing energy around 150hz to about 180hz and you have another dip from about 250-300hz on both speakers. And some interesting behavior from about 50hz to 80hz both channels. The energy is delayed arriving to you.

Ironically, the sub isn't really contributing except on the low end. If you have a polarity switch on the sub, you may want to try and see how that looks with it reversed.

The dips in the 250/300hz range is fairly consistent but slightly different for both speakers, so it's probably boundary and one speaker is slightly closer to than the other. This will give you a good guess as to what is causing that reflection.

First thing I'd do is create an eq to start removing some of the energy from 500hz and below. You can either use a shelf filter or something more complex in REW.

Depending on how you implement the EQ; I'd start with something like this:

Averaged data produced from the rms magnitudes of KEFLS50 Meta Aug 10 Right, KEFLS50 Meta Aug 10
PK Fc 23.60 Hz Gain -5.70 dB Q 2.264
PK Fc 31.85 Hz Gain -5.80 dB Q 3.398
PK Fc 70.20 Hz Gain -4.30 dB Q 6.680
PK Fc 114.0 Hz Gain -1.90 dB Q 2.775
PK Fc 215.0 Hz Gain -2.50 dB Q 2.853
PK Fc 279.0 Hz Gain 3.00 dB Q 4.934
PK Fc 344.0 Hz Gain -1.70 dB Q 5.967
PK Fc 388.0 Hz Gain -3.60 dB Q 3.963

You'll probably need to shelf the bass or adjust the gain on the subwoofer to taste, but this should give you a good starting poiint.

This is done with 1/3 smoothing, which gives you less dramatic swings, but enough to make it worth the adjustments.

OP
C
LS50 Meta EQ1.jpg

Thank you for taking the time on helping me with EQ, I really appreciate it. I spent the weekend moving things around, changing stands, moving the sub, adjusting phase, and applying the EQ you suggested.

I have Sound Source which does not use Q but width, so I am still tweaking that. Is there a simple conversion to change Q to width?

Red is with everything moved around, green is with EQ. It looks much better (ignore the uptick at 7k, its outside noise) and I don't feel like I am missing some chunks of music.

Top Bottom