• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Left side of room vs MLP. Conundrum on how to rectify?

keenly

Huge peaks on the left side of my room around desk area, where I do like to listen sometimes. MLP is not bad. 1 sub on right side of room. No smoothing or EQ.
How do I EQ this? MLP has dips where as a few feet to left has huge peaks?

Attachments

• REW MLP AND LEFT SIDE MEASUREMENTS.jpg
    REW MLP AND LEFT SIDE MEASUREMENTS.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 52

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
Simplest would be to have two saved DSP presets and switch for prolonged listening between seating positions. Otherwise, installing multiple subs and multiple sub DSP optimization... which is a another whole can of worms.

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
Can you show the room plan? In an ordinary symmetrical room, when moving to the right or to the left, nothing like this happens.

Yeah. If there is no symmetrical room.

The huge boost around 30Hz also makes me suspect there may be a wall nearby. One could sacrifice linearity at the MLP by cutting that peak by half the amount or so… or go nuclear cutting much of it. A large dip at 30Hz is less objectionable than at +100Hz.

OP
K

keenly

Can you show the room plan? In an ordinary symmetrical room, when moving to the right or to the left, nothing like this happens.

Yeah. If there is no symmetrical room.
Room is actually 16.6ft from bathroom door(left) to middle of french doors(right), and 15.2 length.

Attachments

• ROOM LAYOUT DETAILS.jpg
    ROOM LAYOUT DETAILS.jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 35
OP
K

keenly

The huge boost around 30Hz also makes me suspect there may be a wall nearby. One could sacrifice linearity at the MLP by cutting that peak by half the amount or so… or go nuclear cutting much of it. A large dip at 30Hz is less objectionable than at +100Hz.
Yep desk is 60cm in front of 10cm radiator, so 70cm from wall, but one measurement was about 50cm from wall.

I am standing at desk right now on laptop, and listen to music here, but some stuff is unbearable in the low end.

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
Yep desk is 60cm in front of 10cm radiator, so 70cm from wall, but one measurement was about 50cm from wall.

I am standing at desk right now on laptop, and listen to music here, but some stuff is unbearable in the low end.

Yes, proximity to that wall probably is causing the issue...

Suppose you don't want to frequently switch between EQs, if at all possible, try moving both listening positions so that they have at least similar enough low frequency levels -- then should be able to create an EQ that works "good enough" for both main listening positions.

Either way, EQ is still going to be a necessity.

Flaesh

I thought you had one subwoofer.
In general, I try to install the audio system symmetrically. Especially if there is more than one listening point and the additional point is located on the side of the main one.

OP
K

keenly

I thought you had one subwoofer.
In general, I try to install the audio system symmetrically. Especially if there is more than one listening point and the additional point is located on the side of the main one.
Measurement was with just 1, but I have 2 Rel t/i 9s.

Do you place your subs same distance from mlp?

Top Bottom