• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

is it good idea to use usb dongle dac with desktop amp?

there are so many usb dongles with excellent measurements now, so i wonder if there is any reasons to buy an "proper"dac. Do i lose something by stacking usb dongle dac with topping L30 using 3.5-rca cable? Comparing to E30, for example. I only need a usb input. e1da 9038d dongle even have THD compensation profile for an amp connection (aka home dac mode, not sure if it hearable)

cancunia

Apologies, as I may have posted in the wrong part of the forum. Are there any differences in sound quality to be expected when connecting headphone level dongle outputs to an amp that's expecting line level input vs line level into the same amp?

forlau

Apologies, as I may have posted in the wrong part of the forum. Are there any differences in sound quality to be expected when connecting headphone level dongle outputs to an amp that's expecting line level input vs line level into the same amp?
you will have less power with the headphone adapter, as the line level is ~2V RMS, and the headphone is less. If you have a preamp you should be able to compensdate this difference. I'm suprised how good my Benewy adaptor works with my stereo system.

cancunia

you will have less power with the headphone adapter, as the line level is ~2V RMS, and the headphone is less. If you have a preamp you should be able to compensdate this difference. I'm suprised how good my Benewy adaptor works with my stereo system.
Understood, many thanks.

Top Bottom