• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

IPhone, headphones and EQ with Apple Music. Is Qudelix-5K the only choice?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Is there a way to EQ my headphones with the player being an iPhone, in my case a iPhone 13 Pro.
Would the Qudelix connect to the iPhone (stupid) Lightning Port, and the headphones connected to the Qudelix via Cable or BT?
You can do iPhone->Lightning->Qudelix->Analog->Headphones
or iPhone->Bluetooth->Qudelix->Analog->Headphones
in both cases, you can use the 5K's onboard DSP.

the Qudelix cannot send Bluetooth audio to a set of Bluetooth headphones. It is purely a receiver

OP
Paolo

Paolo

P.S. Ordered the Qudelix 5 K, yesterday via Amazon US, I'll get it in a month or so...
Ordered it for the second time since the first package got lost

So… let’s hope, but about your question: the Qudelix has 2 headphone’s jacks and it will connect to the iPhone via Bluetooth.

OP
Paolo

Paolo

You can do iPhone->Lightning->Qudelix->Analog->Headphones
or iPhone->Bluetooth->Qudelix->Analog->Headphones
in both cases, you can use the 5K's onboard DSP.

the Qudelix cannot send Bluetooth audio to a set of Bluetooth headphones. It is purely a receiver
I’ve read of many problems with the cable connection on iOS, and I’m not sure the EQ will work. Did you try it?

staticV3

Master Contributor

AdamG

Debunking the “Infomercial” hawkers & fabricators
Forum Donor
I have not tried it, but am well aware what a pain the Lightning port is for connecting USB accessories. You specifically need an "OTG" cable for this to work.
I've had great success with this one so far: https://www.amazon.com/Oxygen-free-Adaptor-Amplifier-qudelix-Shanling/dp/B09KLXYQDH

And yes, you can use the EQ via USB.
What he said! USB cable must be “OTG” compatible. This one works too and comes in different lengths:
https://www.amazon.com/AGVEE-Lightning-Converter-Microphone-Headphone/dp/B0B65LJP5L

royalshadow

I’m hoping my voyage might help to give another insight into this issue. I have the iPhone 15 pro max, so after many years I can buy more mainstream usb c connectors. I like cables, but not when I’m travelling, so how best to get the sound into my ears, and with some EQ to help refine IEMs and/or headphones.

My setup now after a lot of messing about is iPhone > Bluetooth output > Qudelix 5k > cable to IEMs/hesdphones.

5k is amazing in what it does via the app, especially the Auto EQ function which I love. It’s not the best bit of kit, and I really dislike the buttons.

I really don’t want to go dongle DAC for a number of reasons: cable tied to the phone with a small block of DAC ballast in the mix. It is hard to find a portable DAC with EQ functionality too. Forget using the 5k as a possible DAC transmitter as it is only a Bluetooth receiver, as are most DACs that I’ve looked at.

If you intend to answer calls on your iPhone with whatever setup you go for, that creates more problems if you are wired up or do not have an in line mic.

You can buy a plug in Bluetooth transmitter for iPhone that will take your signal and send via aptx codec (as well as aac). You can then use your 5k as a receiver and mic. That gets into a whole other argument on whether you really can hear the difference between Bluetooth codecs. I’ve done lots of tests and much to my displeasure I can’t often pick out the best quality in blind tests. I’m just not happy settling for aac as I know there is better out there, and therefore I am a Bluetooth snob. Maybe idiot.

YMMV greatly when it comes to what you will or won’t compromise on. After LOTS of research you must have an OS that isn’t iOS to make EQ work systemwide. It may be that with the arrival of side loading apps if you are in the EU, you will have access now to wavelet and potentially the system wide EQ you crave. I’m in the UK so thanks to stupid Brexit I’m excluded from side loading.

I’m now looking at buying another DAP (Hiby R6 iii) as apart from calls this will do everything I need: streaming, EQ and even video. I can still use the 5k as a receiver into IEMs and as there are 2 sources of input I can take calls with my iPhone as and when I need to. It’s not a perfect solution, and certainly not a cheap one, but it will remove a lot of (unnecessary) anxiety from having a FOMO.

royalshadow

True, but I meant when it’s not directly connected to the phone. In terms of Bluetooth I meant it’s a receiver only as opposed to a transmitter also.

I have used as a usb DAC, and for me it’s not a very nice thing to dangle (or dongle) from a phone.

Top Bottom