• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Interface for xlr mic room measurement

yigitboy

I bought an Ecm8000 xlr measurement mic for room measurement. Especially low frequencies is my concern because i am an ordinary music listener and have lf issues.
Which spec should i look for when buying an audio interface? May the cheapest ones do my job?

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That device only adds 48v phantom power to the xlr signal and is not an audio interface.
What do you mean with audio interface ? Got the impression he needed a phantom power supply.

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
What do you mean with audio interface ? Got the impression you needed a phantoom power supply.
Might be time for some sort of checkup ;)
Screenshot_20221209-145044_Chrome.png

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Focusrite 2i2 or 2i4 will do the job. Motu M2 will be fine. You don't need an expensive one for this.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If you are going with Berhinger the really cheap ones have only up to 48 khz recording which might not be an issue, but some also only do 16 bit which might also work, but 24 bit gives you a bit more to work with.

You might consider the Arturia MiniFuse 1 if you want to save a bit over the Focusrite Solo. They are $99. Available in black or white.

The Solo's are only $109, but to me the MiniFuse looks much cooler. Very important how cool it looks. :)

Performance of the MiniFuse and Solo are very similar across the board.

Julian Krause does good youtube reviews with measurements.

kiwifi

I bought an Ecm8000 xlr measurement mic for room measurement. Especially low frequencies is my concern because i am an ordinary music listener and have lf issues.
Which spec should i look for when buying an audio interface? May the cheapest ones do my job?
I am using a Motu M4 with the ECM8000 microphone. Works great!

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would recommend a 2-channel interface (for loopback) unless your only measurements are of an AVR/P with test signal injected over HDMI.

The single channel interface I’ve been using for, e.g. Dirac measurements or other cases where I can’t take a measurement with loopback timing reference of late is called iRig Pro I think. It’s nice because it’s small, cheap, and light weight. It works fine.

CauliflowerEars

What did you go for in the end?
I’m in the same boat and not sure, which are the most critical specs to consider, so that the interface is good enough and best ‘bang for buck’.

Also, debating if a calibrated mic might be better or picking the Behringer would be enough. If so, to get a Dayton Audio EMM-6 mic or Sonarworks Xref20. They seem the same as the Behringer ECM8000, just with a calibration file …

CauliflowerEars

If you are going with Berhinger the really cheap ones have only up to 48 khz recording which might not be an issue, but some also only do 16 bit which might also work, but 24 bit gives you a bit more to work with.

You might consider the Arturia MiniFuse 1 if you want to save a bit over the Focusrite Solo. They are $99. Available in black or white.

The Solo's are only $109, but to me the MiniFuse looks much cooler. Very important how cool it looks. :)

Performance of the MiniFuse and Solo are very similar across the board.

Julian Krause does good youtube reviews with measurements.

Would you say that choosing the most budget friendly interface with 24-bit would be good enough? Not sure, which specs would be the most important for room measurements …

OP
Y

yigitboy

What did you go for in the end?
I’m in the same boat and not sure, which are the most critical specs to consider, so that the interface is good enough and best ‘bang for buck’.

Also, debating if a calibrated mic might be better or picking the Behringer would be enough. If so, to get a Dayton Audio EMM-6 mic or Sonarworks Xref20. They seem the same as the Behringer ECM8000, just with a calibration file …
I bought a scarlett 2i2, and go on. Mic calibration is not a must for ones like us. It is not too important if the spl is 74 or 73.
For the interface it is sufficient for my unprof measurements but i would be happier if it had also rca output, so i could use my headphone amplifier.
You can try motu m2 . It has most of what you may need.

phoenixsong

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Using the M2, I agree that it is nice as long as you're not using harder to drive headphones. That said, most of the interfaces above $100 are more than enough nowadays. I also have the ecm8000 mic, and would be more concerned about that mic's frequency response than the performance of your interface (check the internet for more information on that known problem) :)

Top Bottom