• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Will I get reasonably reliable results if I use a large diaphragm mic for measurements? Or even the cheapest measurement mic will be better?

bgravato

Hi!

I have a Motu M2 interface and a large diaphragm t.bone SC-1100 mic (currently 139€ from Thomann).

I'd like do some room measurements (using REW) and probably some speaker's measurements as well since I'll be at it...

Will this large diaphragm mic be good enough for that task, or would a 35€ measurement mic, such as Behringer ECM8000 be significantly better?

I'm not really willing to spend more than those 35€ on a new mic at the moment, so just wondering if even such a cheap measurement mic would still be better than a more expensive large diaphragm mic.

TIA

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
As long as you have a good calibration, either one should work.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
The frequency response is not very flat over about 4 kHz, and the datasheet says it is down -10 dB at 20 Hz, but their curves stop at 60 Hz so you can't see the roll-off. For calibration it is usual to point the mic at the ceiling, set to omni mode, and use a 90-degree response chart or calibration file to get equal response from all speakers in a surround system. Small omni condensers usually provide much flatter response (though aren't as sensitive). I do not know if you can get a cal file for the SC-1100 but IMO it needs one for accurate measurements. It also needs a phantom power source, which your interface provides, but one more piece of gear in the chain. Personally, I'd buy the ECM8000 and get a cal file, or save up for a UMIK-1 and use it straight into your computer for REW measurements.

FWIWFM - Don

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I do not know if you can get a cal file for the SC-1100 but IMO it needs one
Yes. Without that, definitely get a calibrated mic like the ECM8000.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
For reference, this is the frequency response plot of the SC-1100 in omni mode, from their online datasheet.
1692541897641.png

OP
B

bgravato

Thank you all for the valuable replies!

UMIK-1 is quite a bit over my budget for this.
I think I'll give it a try with the SC-1100 for now, it might be enough for my needs.
It seems to be fairly flat in the low/mid range which is probably what will matter most for my use case.

Weeb Labs

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thank you all for the valuable replies!

UMIK-1 is quite a bit over my budget for this.
I think I'll give it a try with the SC-1100 for now, it might be enough for my needs.
It seems to be fairly flat in the low/mid range which is probably what will matter most for my use case.
I would suggest picking up an IMM-6, which retails for $25. Each unit includes an individual calibration file.

Top Bottom