• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Behringer ECM8000 calibration file

Keith_W

Major Contributor
What I don't understand from Behringer is why did they make a calibration file available on their website if no two EMC8000s are the same?

This is pure speculation, but: Behringer may be aware of the general variance of the microphones they have manufactured (see @dualazmak post #6). They could do a statistical analysis and provide a correction for the median response. So it will correct most microphones to a lower error, but not all microphones, and there is a chance you may be in possession of a statistical outlier which isn't corrected by very much. You can also buy ECM8000's from third parties which perform their own microphone calibration. In this case, you will have proper calibration for the microphone that you own.

I own two ECM8000's and an Earthworks M30. The Earthworks cost more than 10x of the Behringer, but it has a serial number and individualized calibration.

KikoKentaurus

UPDATE:

After further research on the internet and Facebook group for acoustics, opinions seem divided about the ECM800. It is said that the ECM8000 can be used for (non-scientific) work, in my case a home studio environment. Furthermore, it is said that the responses are mostly flat in the low end (which is where are the real problems are in untreated rooms).

So you see that 1 microphone gives different opinions.
nobody cares about "opinions" when you have researches (multiple units frequency response in this case).

OP
U

Urbanized

any model you recommend?

I'm still using an ECM8000 sans calibration file, per years-old suggestions found both here on ASR and on Ethan Winer's website...
Probably the UMK-1, unless you don't mind a USB version. In my case I am looking for an XLR version. No USB for me.

OP
U

Urbanized

Guys, I think I'll go with the miniDSP after all. Unfortunately they ask for a visa card on their website and I don't have one. Is there an alternative visa, such as a temporary one that I can top up? Does anybody have experience with this?

Keith_W

Major Contributor
Guys, I think I'll go with the miniDSP after all. Unfortunately they ask for a visa card on their website and I don't have one. Is there an alternative visa, such as a temporary one that I can top up? Does anybody have experience with this?

In Australia you can buy prepaid Visa cards. Do a Google search for prepaid visa cards in your country.

Hardy

Unfortunately, I just bought one in China. I'm searching the special calibration file when I find this discussion, and then I find out there is no serial number on it! That's why there are so many cheap fake products on the Chinese market! If you are not that picky, just remember to make purchases in the right way.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Unfortunately, I just bought one in China. I'm searching the special calibration file when I find this discussion, and then I find out there is no serial number on it! That's why there are so many cheap fake products on the Chinese market! If you are not that picky, just remember to make purchases in the right way.
You could still remedy the situation by sending your mic to Cross-Spectrum Labs, Akulap, HiFi-Selbstbau, or similar for individual calibration.

In fact, that would leave you with a better performing mic than if you had purchased a regular ECM8000.

charlielaub

Akulap in Germany also sells individually calibrated ECM8000 mics:

Thanks for posting this info! I am moving there next month and will eventually need to get a new calibrated mic but did not of a supplier in the EU.

Hardy

You could still remedy the situation by sending your mic to Cross-Spectrum Labs, Akulap, HiFi-Selbstbau, or similar for individual calibration.

In fact, that would leave you with a better performing mic than if you had purchased a regular ECM8000.
Thanks for the advice. Since I'm in China and there are no such calibration services available here, the round-trip freight is even more expensive than purchasing a UMIK-2.
And I only use it to listen to music in my semi-acoustic treatment room, so the sound quality is adequate for me.

OP
U

Urbanized

I finally bought a new Sonarworks mic for € 46,50 euro incl shipping on a Dutch second hand marketplace. I will soon open a new topic with the measurements in REW.

Thanks all for your thoughts.

Top Bottom