• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Integrated amp advice - Rotel A12 vs Rotel A12 MKII

Ramsay

Hello - My understanding is that the Rotel A 12 MKII is an updated version of the Rotel A12. I can buy a new A 12 for $300 less than the A12 MKII. I consider myself more of a casual music listener than a critical listener. The speakers I am considering are Elac Debut Reference (DBR62), Revel M16 Concerta 2 or Polk Reserve RS100. Am I likely to hear a significant improvement with the updated A 12 or would I be better off using the saved $300 in other areas of my sound system(new CD player, turntable, etc)? Also, would the A 12 (Class ab, 60 W x 2) be sufficient to power these speakers to their potential? Thank-you for your time.

OP
R

Ramsay

Absolutely none.

As far as we can tell, every Rotel "Mk2" are 99% regular ones with TI chips instead of AKM (and this, only due to the lack of availability of the latter) + MQA support.

That's about it. Save 300 bucks.
Any thoughts about the pairing of the speakers I mentioned with the Rotel A12 amp?

Don927

NO, the differences are way more significant than just a new DAC! The A12 MKII basically went through the same process as when Ken Ishiwata re-designed the A11 to become the Tribute. Pull up the two on Crutchfield and look at the pics with the top covers removed. Quite different. I saw a review that directly compared the two and the reviewer said they are completely different sonically, to the point you'd think they were different manufacturers. That MKII's have a whole new (improved) sound signature. I doubt Rotel could justify (or sell) many A12MKII's for $300 more with just a new DAC chip. The A12 is a good buy, but the MKII is a better amp.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
NO, the differences are way more significant than just a new DAC! The A12 MKII basically went through the same process as when Ken Ishiwata re-designed the A11 to become the Tribute. Pull up the two on Crutchfield and look at the pics with the top covers removed. Quite different. I saw a review that directly compared the two and the reviewer said they are completely different sonically, to the point you'd think they were different manufacturers. That MKII's have a whole new (improved) sound signature. I doubt Rotel could justify (or sell) many A12MKII's for $300 more with just a new DAC chip. The A12 is a good buy, but the MKII is a better amp.

Rotel haven't really changed a thing in their amplifier topology for the last 30 years. They know what works and they don't muck with it.

The internals of both models are very similar and I would lay money on the difference being in the 'reviewer's' head.

mk1:
a12mk1.JPG

mk2:
a12mk2.JPG

maty

Major Contributor
1.jpg

2.jpg

4.jpg

3.jpg

The laboratory bench testing carried out by Newport Test Labs demonstrates that the Rotel A14MkII is a powerful, wideband amplifier which has very low levels of noise and distortion and excellent circuit protection.

Last edited:

maty

Major Contributor
ROTEL CD14 MKII / A14 MKII

[Polish] https://audio.com.pl/testy/stereo/odtwarzacz-cd-wzmacniacz/3530-rotel-cd14-mkii-a14-mkii

to English: https://audio-com-pl.translate.goog...l=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=es&_x_tr_pto=wapp

rotel-A14-MK2-lab1.png

rotel-A14-MK2-lab2.png

rotel-A14-MK2-lab3.png

Rotel A14 MKII laboratory

Rotel promises a lot, and provides ... even more, which is really surprising. After all, this is a class AB system, the housing is not large, so the company declaration of 80 W into 8 Ω and 150 W into 4 Ω seems risky optimistic.

And it turns out that we finish the measurements at 130 W and 224 W, respectively, and when both channels are simultaneously controlled - 2 x 126 W and 2 x 200 W [THD+N 1%]. Smooth.

In the first version of the A14 Rotel meticulously adhered to the "academic" sensitivity - 200 mV, in the A14 MKII he changed it to an experimentally modern value - 1.2 V. We will notice it in practice, the knob will have to be turned far, which should not be discouraged.

The noise ratio is decent (83 dB), the dynamics has reached 104 dB. The study of the frequency characteristics (Fig. 1) was not a problem for the A14 MKII, the drop at 10 Hz is -0.7 dB (regardless of the load), and at 100 kHz only -0.3 dB at 8 Ω and -0.8 dB at 4 Ω.

None of the harmonics (Fig. 2) exceeds the ceiling of -90 dB, the second is the strongest (-93 dB), and among the odd ones, the third (-97 dB). Perfectly!

The Rotel can handle both 8- and 4-ohm loads, keeping the THD + N level low (Fig. 3). Below 0.1% we descend at a power of approx. 1 W.

sofrep811

I'd bet mucho money no one could ID either amp in an AB blind test. Even if I threw in three other brands with similar specs.

Last edited:

maty

Major Contributor
I disagree, too many times it is possible because they were not well designed. It is NOT a question of price but of careful design and numerous measurements.

An example, this cheap amp

index.php

At HF only 13 bits!

maty

Major Contributor
More expensive amp

index.php

index.php

No wonder many are unable to tell good recordings at 16/44 from 24/96.

Where I live, I am only able to get it, and easily, on my two audio systems. You can spend a lot of money on the equipment but since you have bottlenecks and you do not solve them...

sofrep811

I’ve always wanted to own some NAIM gear but now aa no thanks. They’re nothing special. Another high end company putting their R&D in areas that don’t actually improve upon the reason the should be pricey— sound. If I’m paying that much I’d expect better numbers than my Emotiva. I doubt I’d hear a difference in a comparison.

Top Bottom