• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Inside Your High-Res Music: Testing 1 2 3!!!

Fitzcaraldo215

Major Contributor
Wow, indeed. As with your analysis of a 2L recording in another thread, it suggests that at least some, if not many or even most, hi rez recordings possibly may not be as clean as they could be. Yes, we know there is always going to be a lot of ultrasonic noise in hi rez that is not masked by useful signal, but should noise levels always rise with frequency, as you have found? And, isolated steady tones just should not ever be there. True, some of these artifacts may not be audible, or at least minimally so, depending on the playback system. But, you never know.

I myself remain a believer in hi rez recordings. I still believe the added bit depth and improved filtering of higher sampling rates offer better sound.

I encourage you to continue this analysis to other labels. If artifacts are fairly common, perhaps we could find an effective way to communicate these results to the labels themselves. Labels might find these issues to be nuisance fly specs, but perhaps some might be interested in improving on these issues, whatever the causes in the equipment or in the recording/mastering studio environment. They may or may not be aware of the issues, but if the awareness becomes public knowledge, it might spur some reassessment on their part.

There are two hirez specialty classical labels widely held in very high esteem that I would be most interested in seeing results for - Channel Classics and BIS. Both are among the most popular labels in the hirez classical niche, praised for their engineering.

Channel Classics downloads and a recommended selection are at:

https://channelclassics.nativedsd.com/albums/38817-mahler-symphony-no-3-in-dminor

Not sure if there are freebies to test, but I would recommend the Mahler Symphony No. 3 on Channel as a highly regarded release from earlier this year. It is also a great performance. Note that the native recordings at this site are done in DSD, but this selection is also available in DXD = 352k stereo. Single movements can be purchased if you wish.

BIS downloads and a recent recording are at:

http://www.eclassical.com/labels/bis/stravinsky-pulcinella-suite-2.html

Recent BIS recordings like the above are done at 96k/24 bit. Older ones were done at 44k/24 bit. The native sampling rate is given for each recording.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
hannel Classics downloads and a recommended selection are at:

https://channelclassics.nativedsd.com/albums/38817-mahler-symphony-no-3-in-dminor

Not sure if there are freebies to test, but I would recommend the Mahler Symphony No. 3 on Channel as a highly regarded release from earlier this year. It is also a great performance. Note that the native recordings at this site are done in DSD, but this selection is also available in DXD = 352k stereo. Single movements can be purchased if you wish.
Hmmm. They say capture was in DSD64 but editing was done in DXD. I am inclined to get the DXD rather than the DSD converted ones. Which version do you have?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

Fitzcaraldo215

Major Contributor
Hmmm. They say capture was in DSD64 but editing was done in DXD. I am inclined to get the DXD rather than the DSD converted ones. Which version do you have?
Yes, Get the DXD version.

I actually have a native DSD 256 version, which is a non-commercial version in Mch made by a Grammy-winning recording engineer, a mutual friend of Jared Sacks and me. It was done at the same sessions, but using a different recording chain and different mikes. I am soon to get the "normal" SACD for comparison.

Fitzcaraldo215

Major Contributor
Holy cow. The download is 8.7 gigabytes!!! There better be boatload of goodies above CD or I will be grumpy at the end. :)
Yes, well, DXD is not an ideal format for downloading. I assume you got the whole disc, not just a single movement from this, the longest symphony by Mahler, who is well known for long symphonies. But, it is my favorite of his 9 symphonies.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Yes, well, DXD is not an ideal format for downloading. I assume you got the whole disc, not just a single movement from this, the longest symphony by Mahler, who is well known for long symphonies. But, it is my favorite of his 9 symphonies.
Yes, I got the whole album. Figured it was worth listening if you were recommending it. :)

Wish I had gotten the DSD64 version with it. Strangely they let you get lower rate DSD versions if you buy higher rate DSD but not if you buy the DXD!

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Top Bottom