1. WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Inside Your High-Res Music: Testing 1 2 3!!!

Discussion in 'Music Reviews and Discussions' started by amirm, Oct 12, 2017.

1. amirm

amirm Founder/Admin CFO (Chief Fun Officer) Staff Member

Hello everyone. This is a project more than a year in the making. I kept procrastinating and finally decided to do a test run.

I have good number of high-resolution albums that I have purchased. Looking inside them, I see all kinds of "interesting" pictures. I thought I start a series of videos where I examine tracks from these albums. I could do them in text and graphics but as you see in the video, some aspects are only visible when you see the music playing.

This is a test to see how you all like it and for me to get used to the workflow. Please give me feedback on usefulness of it as it is fair bit of work to produce them.

To watch, hit play but then go to full screen. And select 1080p if your monitor allows it. At lower resolutions below 720p it will be hard to see what is going on.

2. RayDunzl

RayDunzl Major Contributor Central Scrutinizer

Watching instructional videos is only one step up from the "filmstrips" we had in grade school for me.

But that's just my worthless observation.

Carry on!

watchnerd likes this.
  3. Blumlein 88

Blumlein 88 Major Contributor

Amir! Turn down the level on your microphone at least 6-10 db. You are over driving it too much. Pop filter might be nice too.

4. Blumlein 88

It could be interesting to me for reviewing hirez downloads that often have problems as you did here. The other stuff I already know is mildly interesting maybe, but someone who doesn't know what you are really pointing out would probably have their eyes glaze over. So a series of short vids explaining spectrograms, and FFTs and then later how it can be used like in your video would be needed to really educate someone interested in it.

Here is a common complaint about video to me. Chances are if someone has an educational or expositional video up I know some fair part of it or none of it. If it is an article with graphs and explanation I can skip over what I know, quickly zero in on what I don't or what I find interesting. If I know none of it, I might read a little and then go elsewhere to try and get up to speed. I can't do any of that with video. So some vids are interesting most are either too much over my head or mostly something I know.

There are other special cases. Like when I am trying to learn how to process an effect in a DAW. Reading a few articles hasn't made it clear to me. Then watching a video where someone shows what they are doing in sequence is valuable. Even then it is like drinking the ocean thru a straw to me.

Otherwise videos are good for showing actual events, or something beautiful, or giving one a sense of the space and movement about something happening. Like video where a recordist walks around showing his mic placement and explains why within the space he is working.

Maybe I am being too critical. And either way you are trying to innovate and do something different. Don't be deterred, keep trying, it is how we find out better ways to do stuff.

5. RayDunzl

upload_2017-10-12_18-11-53.png

6. amirm

Yeh I maxed it out and then talked louder at the same time. I will pull it down some in the future.

On usefulness, the main reason I did a video was to show the dynamic behavior of the spectrum which is harder to do in text and graphs. Then again it takes me an hour to do one of these if not more so text and graphs are much, much easier and faster to do.

7. Blumlein 88

Something somewhere in the chain is flat topping the waves. Is there a limiter on somewhere?

8. Blumlein 88

Yes the dynamics are shown this way better than graphs. I suppose you could do a few screenshots and one of those animated GIFs and get part way there.

Or maybe text doing the explaining and a few short video segments embedded so one can watch the dynamic aspect.

9. amirm

Not that I turned on. It is a sennheiser headset and says it has noise cancelling mic. So maybe that is what is clipping early.

10. RayDunzl

What's the model number?

11. amirm

12. tomelex

tomelex Senior Member

I enjoyed your presentation.

amirm likes this.
  13. watchnerd

watchnerd Major Contributor Beer Hero

14. BE718

BE718 Major Contributor forum experimenter

I think its useful and interesting. BTW what screen capture software are you using?

15. amirm

Thanks. I am using OBS (Open Broadcaster Software). Typical of open source software the interface is hard to get used to but it does the job. I will likely look at Camtasia, etc. soon to see if they are easier to use.

The latest version has added audio compressors, noise gate and such which I tested yesterday and it makes a nice improvement to voice fidelity. I also tuned a few other things which should help with clipping and overall quality.

16. svart-hvitt

svart-hvitt Active Member

Amir, could you take a look at the free hi-res downloads of 2L?

http://www.2l.no/hires/index.html?

I assume these files should be a sort of reference when it comes to displaying the advantages of hi-res?

17. amirm

Good idea. I will add them to the list.

svart-hvitt likes this.