• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Inside Your High-Res Music: Linn Records Samples

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The audio on your video has improved. ;)

The interference in your second example could of course be many things. Lighting or switched supplies.

Sometimes, wide bandwidth microphones will pick up things like that. Not as an audio sound, but as radiated interference. It doesn't take much because so much gain is occurring from microphone to final recording levels.

tomelex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Great, very interesting and starting too see some definite patterns of poor engineering. Eye opening stuff Amir, thanks.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
My CDs have none of those ultrasonic problems.

steabert

Interesting analysis, thanks! I've added the full spectrograms for these test files, very funny that these are their files for show-casing hi-res audio :)

1. 3 Ecossaises, Op. 72 No. 1 in D Major

1 3 Ecossaises, Op. 72 No. 1 in D Major.png

2. Organ Prelude Vom Himmel kam, BWV 607

2 Organ Prelude Vom Himmel kam, BWV 607.png

3. 6 Gedichte von N. Lenau und Requiem, Op. 90 No. 2, Meine Rose

3 6 Gedichte von N. Lenau und Requiem, Op. 90 No. 2, Meine Rose.png

tuga

Major Contributor
Interesting analysis, thanks! I've added the full spectrograms for these test files, very funny that these are their files for show-casing hi-res audio

Classical music has a very wide dynamic range but interestingly when recorded to convey a listener's perspective (distant mic'ing) it won't feature, in most cases, significant content above 15kHz.

A higher sample rate will allow capture of higher frequency content thus extend the treble range.
A higher bit depth will lower the noise floor thus increase resolution.
I think that these files are adequate for showcasing high-res audio.

Top Bottom