• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Inferior Parts in EXPENSIVE components

wgscott

Sorry, not audio, but one memorable instance from my childhood days was General Motors, who decided to put Chevy engines in their Oldsmobiles. When they got caught, their defense was that most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference anyway.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
Trinity DAC.jpg
See post 16, the photo I posted is the inside of the Trinity preamp, sadly I don't have a photograph of their DAC.
Keith.

I know Keith: http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?17972-Trinity-hype-or-is-it-a-real-deal

♦ Now the DAC: http://wizard-highend.blogspot.ca/2013/03/trinity-dac.html

Trin DAC.jpg

Last edited:

Mivera

Major Contributor

Mivera

Major Contributor
come on mike, employing guys to sand down your chips is a expensive business.. :D

why dont you put a light bulb and some unsafe looking soldering in your units then you could charge 5x the price..

Especially in Poland. I hear the labor costs are outrageous there. Great idea! I'll run it by Sonny.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
That DAC is $50 k I believe?
Keith.

It depends...of the money exchange rate from where you live.
But I think you can get it for less than $30,000 USD. ...It's all very relative...look inside...it's not like under the hood of a luxury car in that approximate price range.
And the seats inside that car plus the mustichannel sound system are not as comfy as @ home. ...Most likely a Bose sound system.

Anyway, only the biggest shoes can contemplate and drive and benefit of all of it.

Mivera

Major Contributor
It depends...of the money exchange rate from where you live.
But I think you can get it for less than $30,000 USD. ...It's all very relative...look inside...it's not like under the hood of a luxury car in that approximate price range.
And the seats inside that car plus the mustichannel sound system are not as comfy as @ home. ...Most likely a Bose sound system.

Anyway, only the biggest shoes can contemplate and drive and benefit of all of it.

Give it a couple years and they will be on Ebay for $500. Then we can all join the elitist's and be as 1 :)

OP
I

iridium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Give it a couple years and they will be on Ebay for $500. Then we can all join the elitist's and be as 1 :)

Hopefully, in a couple of years, we will be able to buy a truly great DAC [sound & measurements] for under $1,000. Why buy used trouble; repairs on used expensive [and obsolete] could easily be greater than $1,000.

iridium.

Mivera

Major Contributor
Hopefully, in a couple of years, we will be able to buy a truly great DAC [sound & measurements] for under $1,000. Why buy used trouble; repairs on used expensive [and obsolete] could easily be greater than $1,000.

iridium.

You already can today if you don't mind doing a bit of DIY work. Or if you don't mind a PCB outside of a case it works perfectly fine as is.

http://mirand-audio.dk/?product=ak4...ort-discrete-diffse-shield-pcm-filter-setting

For power supply this works great. Same one used in the $15K Mark Levinson

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/xp-power/ECL30UT03-S/1470-1217-ND/4487598

Connect the wires to the screw terminals, and it's ready to go

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm no expert Tom, that's why I love audio. And this is a thread that I'm interested in.

- About this one: http://www.tnt-audio.com/sorgenti/trinity_tech_e.html

OT

I simply can't understand those Video of a system eliciting congratulations and compliments from audiophiles .. This on a laptop and through likely laptop speakers and it is aaalwaaaaaaaaays a small Jazz ensemble and female voice.. There is no better audiophile cliche around :( :mad: ...:rolleyes: ...

Mivera

Major Contributor
yea right Frantz, dull dull dull and easy to get right... the buggers should try this on for size...

Heart warming and soul moving Tom :) If I make it to RMAF this year it will be on the playlist.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Tom, that music genre above...good to wake the dead from the ashes. :eek::D

That's "inferior" extremely irritating high sound distortion! Do you know why it was invented for, and for who? :confused::D

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry, not audio, but one memorable instance from my childhood days was General Motors, who decided to put Chevy engines in their Oldsmobiles. When they got caught, their defense was that most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference anyway.

Yes, and it was worse than just that. It was Chevy engines in Olds that got them sued. During that decade they had Chevy in Olds. Pontiac engines in Buicks. Olds engines in Pontiacs. I could have understood if they went with all Chevy engines in everything. Or even say a Chevy for smaller engines and one of the others for larger engines in everything. Just this mish mash made no sense to me. I wasn't particularly bothered they did it, it simply did not appear to offer an advantage to anyone including the manufacturer.

Large Buicks had 301 or 350 Pontiac engines rather than 350 Buick engines. Pontiacs had 403 Olds engines rather than 400 Pontiac engines. Olds had 305 or 350 Chevy engines rather than 350 or 403 Olds engines. Say what?

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

What do we mean by "inferior parts"? Recently there has been a lew of designer caps with commensurate (high) prices, same with inductors..and of course resistors. What do those uber-parts do that the so called "inferior" don't and what qualify a part as "inferior"
Lot of discussions about Vivid Audio Giya line having "inferior" parts in their crossover... WOuld "better" oarts make them sound better? WHat are the objective metrics of a good part as opposed to an inferior one?
I would like to understand

Top Bottom