• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Inferior Parts in EXPENSIVE components

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
I think recessed speaker binding posts doesn't look hi-end. Extruded (flush with the speaker's rear) looks more hi-end.

Question: One, two or three sets of speaker's binding posts?
I've read somewhere in the past that hi-end speaker designers put more because it looks more hi-end...their customer's preference.

Now, if us the customer we like things, even if it doesn't improve the sound (active separate crossovers, and adjustable with parametric EQ, three sets of binding posts for the Lows, Mids and Highs do improve the sound), why then are they putting passive crossovers with more binding posts, and charge more for no sound improvement...just to please us with what looks better to us and all that jazz?

Question two: Are lug spades better than locking banana speaker connectors? And what metal has the best electrical contact signal transmission?

Mivera

Major Contributor
B&W yes, but dics not worked there for 20 years lol!!! vivid not so much but i dont blame you for thinking that as you dont know.

B&W still uses Bennic components though. Only ones that do are the mass volume movers and Vivid that I know of.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
B&W still uses Bennic components though. Only ones that do are the mass volume movers and Vivid that I know of.
if it ain't broke dont fix it... dic is a enginear mike pure and simple. they should put higher grade components in their x-overs, just so i dont have to engage in this bs. you make broad far reaching assumptions without knowing the facts mike, its ok thats what people do but really sometimes you are so wrong its comical.

i agree shiny x-over components should be used, they say they cant hear a difference. but that's not the point to audiophiles. dic is a super skilled pioneering enginear and one of the most respected guys in the whole of audio. he works and is a part of vivid so he has the engineering and creative freedom to make the best speakers he can, if you knew him at all you would know this to be true. if they are bean counters then they are very bad at it!

Mivera

Major Contributor
if it ain't broke dont fix it... dic is a enginear mike pure and simple. they should put higher grade components in their x-overs, just so i dont have to engage in this bs. you make broad far reaching assumptions without knowing the facts mike, its ok thats what people do but really sometimes you are so wrong its comical.

i agree shiny x-over components should be used, they say they cant hear a difference. but that's not the point to audiophiles. dic is a super skilled pioneering enginear and one of the most respected guys in the whole of audio. he works and is a part of vivid so he has the engineering and creative freedom to make the best speakers he can, if you knew him at all you would know this to be true. if they are bean counters then they are very bad at it!

I have no doubt's about his engineering abilities, but you will never convince me that those garbage components were chosen because they don't make any difference. Try getting an opinion from more than 1 designer. Someone who uses good parts would be a good start. I've been in KIA dealerships where they told me that they are just as good as BMW's as well.

Call these guys up at Madisound. They have everything, and have been in the business since 1978. They have done several crossover designs for many top speakers out there.

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com

In your neck of the woods there's these guys:

http://www.wilmslow-audio.co.uk

First time I placed an order from Wilmslow was in 1997 for a pair of ATC mids. They know their stuff too. And guess what, they can freely tell you an honest opinion because they have nothing to lose from it.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
ok mike, i could show you the emails i have from him that clearly give his honest opinion on a number of things including x-over components but i won't.. he does not lie, you are calling him a liar. i am fed up with this TBH.

Dic might be wrong, i would like better x-over components but he honestly thinks the differences are next to inaudible. you dont accept that and insist that he is lying... :rolleyes:

Mivera

Major Contributor
ok mike, i could show you the emails i have from him that clearly give his honest opinion on a number of things including x-over components but i won't.. he does not lie, you are calling him a liar. i am fed up with this TBH.

Dic might be wrong, i would like better x-over components but he honestly thinks the differences are next to inaudible. you dont accept that and insist that he is lying... :rolleyes:

You could but it doesn't matter to me because I have over 20 years of hands on experiences and talking to 100's of engineers. I was the Canadian distributor of Focal, Accuton, Raven, PHL, and Cabasse drivers and well as a full line of crossover components from 2000-2002. I don't need the opinion of 1 guy to learn what matters. Maybe if it was 1994 I would care, but not 2016.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
You could but it doesn't matter to me because I have over 20 years of hands on experiences and talking to 100's of engineers. I was the Canadian distributor of Focal, Accuton, Raven, PHL, and Cabasse drivers and well as a full line of crossover components from 2000-2002. I don't need the opinion of 1 guy to learn what matters. Maybe if it was 1994 I would care, but not 2016.
he might be wrong, that's fine mike. you just cant go round calling out guys who you dont know. i dont disagree with you but i know what he believes. he is not lying. simple as that. no one is trying to teach you anything, i am not even disagreeing about the x-over compants.. so why that little defensive rant i dont know.. all i am saying is what he believes i am not defending that belief but i am defending the integrity of the held belief. why you have a problem with that i dont know.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
He said, she said, ...it don't mean a thing if you ain't got that swing. :D

* I've read all those rave reviews on Vivid loudspeakers; their top three models.
Vivid is certainly doing something right here, because all them audio reviewers they all agree together.
I trust audio reviewers more than anyone else.
And if the Vivid sound can be improved further with better crossover parts, the Vivid guys should know more than anyone else.

Not until concrete action has been taken in replacing its crossover's parts will we know for sure, from listening tests and measurements, what those babies can truly do more...

Mike offered his experienced perspective, a theory @ this time in point. The proven audio science is in the pudding of concrete equation.
Nothing, not even a full encyclopedia on the theory propositions, can't change the course of what it is in the now.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The notion of best shouldn't be an opinion. I need facts. I need an objective reason why a given part is deemed inferior. The example of Vivid playing at high volume and noticing the sound becoming wrong while plausible seems to fly in the face of most reports about Vivid speakers being able to play LOUD with no perceived strain ...

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
The notion of best shouldn't be an opinion. I need facts. I need an objective reason why a given part is deemed inferior. The example of Vivid playing at high volume and noticing the sound becoming wrong while plausible seems to fly in the face of most reports about Vivid speakers being able to play LOUD with no perceived strain ...
i run my vivid very very loud, i drive them harder than almost anyone else who has them... they remain pure and with no distortion. if amps are clipping or something else is wrong then yes maybe things sound bad.

Balle Clorin

Major Contributor
One very reputable high-end speaker manufacturer uses cheap electrolytic capacitors in the crossovers, You need to by the top of the line to get propylene..

egellings

Major Contributor
I think that the quality of these boutique R-L-C parts is perceived rather than electronic in nature. A fancy casing and wild claims will do it. Anyone remember "Wonder Wire" and "Wonder Caps--with Danor)" by MIT (Musical Interface Technologies)? You haven't listened if not equipped with these!

Top Bottom