• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

In-wall speakers: staging? listening experiences? optimization targets?

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
With or without the bottom sections? Baffle wall? Screen size?
I think the top only has a separate model number: C221

I use it with a 85" flat screen TV. One on each side and one at the bottom: TV, LCR and 2x SSW-3 are in a baffle wall.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not sure what the fancy swirls infront of the woofer are though.
To stop you punching the driver I guess. I have all speakers behind a grill anyway.

I will soon replace the centre with an upside down C221 though. The height of the C222 is pushing the TV too high.

nstzya

To stop you punching the driver I guess. I have all speakers behind a grill anyway.

I will soon replace the centre with an upside down C221 though. The height of the C222 is pushing the TV too high.

I should say so! And I thought I had a problem! Do you lower the LR to match??

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I should say so! And I thought I had a problem! Do you lower the LR to match??
No. I can’t localise the speakers. It feels like as if all sound comes from the large TV. I guess brain is fooled. When I listen to music, I only use the LR and it sounds like a normal stereo.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I had looked into the SCL-4s but those C222HPs look very interesting.
SCL-4 is an in wall speaker. Mine are normal speakers with relatively shallow enclosures.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think JBL has been lazy for not producing centre speakers that are suitable for TV use. Their cinema range seems to be designed to be used behind a screen. When will they realise that when you can buy a 85" TV at Costco, the time has come for centre speakers to fit below the TV. There isn't a single centre speaker in their Cinema Range that is suitable for TV as the screen. Bonkers!

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Are they on-wall or free-standing?
I have a custom made ceiling-to-floor furniture unit that is built into a wide wall recess. It holds the LCR, the subwoofers, and the TV. Speakers are all flush with the furniture front, like in a sofit.

Last edited:

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I had looked into the SCL-4s but those C222HPs look very interesting.
It looks like I have completely missed the JBL Synthesis in-wall series. Stupid company splits their cinema range as Pro and Synthesis. Why? God knows! I will have some stern words with my dealer when he arrives tomorrow. Why hasn't he suggested these before?

Thanks to you I looked into the specs and found out that the model SCL-2 has a symmetrical horn. They even suggest the speakers to be mounted on their sides as well as upside down. This will allow me not only to be able to lower my TV but also align the speakers. I don't notice any issues but technically alignment should be better. It is possible that the low end may not go as far as with C22HP and I may have to use bass management. I have a Trinnov processor, hence that's not a problem. However, I hope I don't have to as I like simple signal paths.

The speakers are very shallow, less than half of the depth of C222HP. This means I can reduce the depth of my furniture and its visual impact to the room.

One more time: thank you! :)

nstzya

Thanks to you I looked into the specs and found out that the model SCL-2 has a symmetrical horn. They even suggest the speakers to be mounted on their sides as well as upside down. This will allow me not only to be able to lower my TV but also align the speakers.
But with the usual M-T-M horizontal compromises

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
But with the usual M-T-M horizontal compromises
I thought of that and asked JBL to send me the spinorama chart and the polar diagram. I will not spend almost £20K without having seen proof.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom