• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

In search of a studio monitor for desktop use

Pawelekdabek

why say so?
Maybe becuase of self noise level. They are very quiet iirc. Also I would not recommend 8030Cs for that distance because of the self noise. Neumannn KH80 or 120 would be the best choice for that money, they are really at the same level as Genelecs and with much lower self noise.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Self noise is overrated, you don't hear it when playing music and the monitors shut off automatically when there's no signal (the Genelecs at least) so you basically almost never hear it.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
IK Multimedia iLoud MTM are going to be my next desktop speakers too.

Last edited:

jcebedo11

I own the Mackie hr824 mk1 for many years and very happy with them. Buy used at a good price (under $600). Sell it for around the same if you don't like them.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I own the Mackie hr824 mk1 for many years and very happy with them. Buy used at a good price (under $600). Sell it for around the same if you don't like them.
I do own a pair (inherited) and they are good. However I would not recommend them for the OPs very short listening distance because tweeter and woofer are too far away from each other (due to the big wave guide).

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I do own a pair (inherited) and they are good. However I would not recommend them for the OPs very short listening distance because tweeter and woofer are too far away from each other (due to the big wave guide).
I would recommend the Mackie MR series. The integration is very good, seamless at short distances, and I never heard self noise or hiss.

OP
vlad335

vlad335

Forum Donor
I have been playing with the Adam T5v's and these are really nice. Really starting to like them. The T8v do not have the magic of these. (May be sitting too close) i briefly tried RCA cables but too much noise. Robot computer noises were made when I scrolled a webpage or moved the mouse. XLR's are dead quiet.

Now thinking of upgrading my soundcard situation and keeping the T5's. Actually realized I have a miniDSP 2x4 here I bought in 2015. Totally forgot about it. It's the RevA version which outputs 0.9Vrms and doesnt have the USB DAC. Would this be enough output or should i get the 2.0vrms version of the 2x4HD?
Should i ditch the soundcard and get a USB Dac and feed this into the 2x4? That is if 0.9vrms is enough.

OP
vlad335

vlad335

Forum Donor
Oops, now Im reading that the 0.9vrms is the input voltage. confused...

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have been playing with the Adam T5v's and these are really nice. Really starting to like them. The T8v do not have the magic of these. (May be sitting too close) i briefly tried RCA cables but too much noise. Robot computer noises were made when I scrolled a webpage or moved the mouse. XLR's are dead quiet.

Now thinking of upgrading my soundcard situation and keeping the T5's. Actually realized I have a miniDSP 2x4 here I bought in 2015. Totally forgot about it. It's the RevA version which outputs 0.9Vrms and doesnt have the USB DAC. Would this be enough output or should i get the 2.0vrms version of the 2x4HD?
Should i ditch the soundcard and get a USB Dac and feed this into the 2x4? That is if 0.9vrms is enough.
When I want to quelch PC noise I use optical out. Do you have that?

RobS

Forum Donor
Yamaha HS8.

It's better than the HS7 and the rest of the lineup. It's one of the very few 8" monitors that doesn't have a midrange suckout somewhere.

J31LJHa.jpg

You can buy a modded pair from ZenPro which replaces some caps, opamps, and disables the limiter circuit. I have a pair myself for computer speakers but great for home studio use or music playback. The cabinet used is pretty awesome for the price and its overall a well designed speaker. The only limitation is the woofer has a super cheap stamped basket that probably costs $1 to make. If Yamaha used a better woofer it would easily be the best 2-way studio monitor for the money.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
The only limitation is the woofer has a super cheap stamped basket that probably costs $1 to make.
Mind you, the Neumann KH120 midwoofer only has a stamped steel basket either, and it's a very good driver nonetheless. Meanwhile, the Behringer B2031A woofer's basket is a cast affair...

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
But the B2031A is a good speaker, no?
Well yes, with some suspected slightly bloated bass, some tweeter (grille) issues and a bit of hiss (a small input gain adjustment range does not help). Still excellent value for a fraction of the cost, of course (something like a factor of 3 in Europe, no kidding), and the bass driver seems to be quite robust, but not entirely on the same level of refinement.

In any case, if stamped steel is good enough for Neumann, this matter clearly can't be that important after all (assuming a certain minimum strength of material). Perhaps it should rather be seen as a sign of a manufacturer who knows how to make the right tradeoffs between cost and performance, as you would hope in something mass-market and mid-price like Yamaha HS8s.

Top Bottom