• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Im I Better off with the Quad Dac G8 ThinQ Android, or w/ Monolith AAA THX Portable?

neptune134

Hello all, I hope someone can help give me some advice.

As some of you know, the G8 ThinQ Android is considered at the very least in the top 10 of audiophile phones, with it's quad dac and 3D Surround Sound Technology. I dont use it as a phone, I use it as my DAP exclusively and recently paired it up to the Monoprice Monolith AAA THX portable. I have it connected with a usc micro to usb type C OTG mini cable and though its a bulky beauty, I love it for home listening.

Anyhow, I know as I keep hearing, its all about the music, and scales and graphs and figures and fancy processors and marketing fodder are there for your information, but as long as it sounds good thats all that matters. Whether it be a AKM or ESS dac, etc etc.

Now, lets just focus on the technicals for a moment, because I would love to hear your feedback. With the specs of the G8 ThinQ paired with the Monolith, is there any advantage to having the Monolith as the amp/dac for it? The phone itself has MANY audiophile type options on its own, and I guess with the monolith paired to it, I cant use any of them since the Monolith being connected basically means it becomes the defacto dac/amp and no features of the phone itself can be used to accentuate the sound quality? Am, I right in assuming this?

Top Bottom