• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Iloud Precision Monitors

earlevel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Sound on sound has had free access to their digital issues since the pandemic.
The older articles are free, but not the five most recent issues, they are shown as partial articles:
Screen Shot 2022-12-31 at 10.15.17 AM.png

jean-benoit

Sound on sound has had free access to their digital issues since the pandemic.

As much as I love Sonic State, he is again primarily a synth reviewer. Idk, ever since I heard about spinorama, I’m not interested in speaker reviews that lack it.

At this point, I suspect IK is afraid to show the performance of these things. I’m reminded of their recent modeling amp software release, Tone-X. Lots of hype for what, in the end, was pretty just ok sounding software. I do not recommend this company. Take that for what you will.

why should they be afraid? besides (us) few nerds on ASR, who cares about the spinorama, people usually go to the store and listen to speakers. and if we are lucky at some point, these will be reviewed here.

i also never looked once at their plug-in software, but the speakers are great, try them in a shop, you may be surprised by the performance of those loudspeakers.

Hexspa

why should they be afraid? besides (us) few nerds on ASR, who cares about the spinorama, people usually go to the store and listen to speakers. and if we are lucky at some point, these will be reviewed here.

i also never looked once at their plug-in software, but the speakers are great, try them in a shop, you may be surprised by the performance of those loudspeakers.
Nah. Basically what I hear you saying is that a minority of nerds are the only ones who care about objective performance and that the best way to evaluate speakers is going to listen to them in a store. This is all rotten bologna.

Until now, speaker data has been primarily manufacturer-provided, incomplete, and presented in the most flattering light possible (graph resolution, THD instead of harmonic components, etc.) in many cases (if provided at all) which has led the community to become jaded. Just because people (you know, non-nerds and maybe remotely located nerds), haven’t heard the good news doesn’t mean they’re heathens.

Yea, I can say with the confidence of Moses carrying the two rocks: IK probably fears the truth getting out. They know word of mouth is powerful and once the intelligencia (nerdy influencers/hybrid nerd mechs with video capabilities) pan these, the masses will look elsewhere. This is precisely why, imo, they’re pandering to reviewers who know little-to-nothing about speakers and their audiences that much less.

Besides, if you’d read the Harman research, you’d know that listening to a pair of speakers is the worst way to evaluate them. If you’re trying to be the people’s champion, at least remind them that they should just listen to one speaker at a time and in a level-matched blind comparison to at least two other ones. Too difficult? That’s why spinorama is important.

But, hey. If you have $2K+ to blow on hype then we are of differing denominations, to say the least. Just my opinion, of course.

earlevel

You have to log in. It says it right there in your screen shot. The whole magazine is free.
Um, the screenshot says, "Log in - if you have a subscription you bought from SOS." The other three choices are "Buy &...", "Buy &...", and Buy a..."

Kind of doesn't sound "free", does it? :p

Hexspa

Um, the screenshot says, "Log in - if you have a subscription you bought from SOS." The other three choices are "Buy &...", "Buy &...", and Buy a..."

Kind of doesn't sound "free", does it? :p
Look at these screenshots. Seriously, I think I can charge you tuition at this point. It’s free. Please, until you try to access it do not tell me it’s not free again.

Attachments

• 07879B8C-75D1-45FF-8FDB-9A49094B7077.png
    07879B8C-75D1-45FF-8FDB-9A49094B7077.png
    664.2 KB · Views: 162
  • C0DFE23A-4DA0-488C-9202-9C27B2A8142F.png
    C0DFE23A-4DA0-488C-9202-9C27B2A8142F.png
    597.4 KB · Views: 160
  • E524A076-8BBE-4400-824D-F14CC7284BBD.png
    E524A076-8BBE-4400-824D-F14CC7284BBD.png
    768 KB · Views: 157

earlevel

Look at these screenshots. Seriously, I think I can charge you tuition at this point. It’s free. Please, until you try to access it do not tell me it’s not free again.
Why be condescending? You said the screenshot I provided showed it to be free, yet it clearly says you need to buy something—you're tripping.

PS—Yet to see if you're right, regardless of the notice, I created an account. It does not allow me to read recent articles for free, same as before even though I'm logged in. Also, the confirmation email of my membership states that I do not get recent articles free—so, if you're getting them free, consider yourself fortunate:

FREE WEB ARTICLES

Only Subscribers can access the newest 5 months of magazine content, but there are over 11,200 articles free to read and more get added every month.

Regarding "Replica Mag", no joy there either:

Screen Shot 2022-12-31 at 4.43.23 PM.png

Last edited:

Hexspa

Why be condescending? You said the screenshot I provided showed it to be free, yet it clearly says you need to buy something—you're tripping.

PS—Yet to see if you're right, regardless of the notice, I created an account. It does not allow me to read recent articles for free, same as before even though I'm logged in. Also, the confirmation email of my membership states that I do not get recent articles free—so, if you're getting them free, consider yourself fortunate:

FREE WEB ARTICLES

Only Subscribers can access the newest 5 months of magazine content, but there are over 11,200 articles free to read and more get added every month.

Regarding "Replica Mag", no joy there either:

View attachment 253894
It literally says claim your FREE (emphasis not mine) issue at the bottom of your first screenshot. (Never mind: that’s for a bonus publication)

I don’t know why you don’t have access. I never had a subscription nor have given sound on sound a penny in my life and I have free issues going back to 2020.

At the risk of losing access, try a VPN with a US location since mine say US edition.

Not trying to be condescending but I get frustrated when people tell me things which I know are false. If you don’t have access, I don’t know what to say.

EDIT: If you just created an account now, you’ll probably start getting them added as they’re released. I signed up immediately since it was advertised in the pandemic freebies that were going around at the time. Wait till next month.

Attachments

• 7BA9B3F7-6F50-4690-B90B-D3AD31120A3D.png
    7BA9B3F7-6F50-4690-B90B-D3AD31120A3D.png
    662.2 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

earlevel

It literally says claim your FREE (emphasis not mine) issue at the bottom of your first screenshot. (Never mind: that’s for a bonus publication)

I don’t know why you don’t have access. I never had a subscription nor have given sound on sound a penny in my life and I have free issues going back to 2020.

At the risk of losing access, try a VPN with a US location since mine say US edition.

Not trying to be condescending but I get frustrated when people tell me things which I know are false. If you don’t have access, I don’t know what to say.

EDIT: If you just created an account now, you’ll probably start getting them added as they’re released. I signed up immediately since it was advertised in the pandemic freebies that were going around at the time. Wait till next month.
I am in the US. And since the confirmation email says "Only Subscribers can access the newest 5 months of magazine content", I don't have much hope that it will change next month—all the messaging I see from them is consistent about requiring a purchase to access the latest 5 months. Maybe you have access because you signed up during the free period, and they haven't closed the loophole. Shhhh... ;)

rtx_co

I visited my local pro audio shop today after seeing they had Precision monitors in stock.

I listened to a few things while I was there, including:
-Genelec 8040, 8010
-Neumann KH80
-Adam A7V
-iLoud Precision 6

The shock to me was how much the 8010 and Precision 6 stood out in this group. This was the first time I heard the 8010 and it is really surprising how big it sounds, and how satisfying it was.

The Precision 6 is clearly larger sounding, with more low end extension, excellent clarity… just a very good overall impression. The store had done EQ corrections, but I didn’t toggle on and off to compare. It did not sound at all negatively affected by it. The build was really solid, and went loud comfortably. It definitely kept up with the Genelec 8040 to my ears, though I didn’t push them to max SPLs.

Overall a very pleasant surprise to find how much I liked the iLouds. Clearly a step up from the MTM.
interesting, thanks for sharing this, wonder how the Precision 6 would fare against the Focal Shape 65 then, they have the exact same price atm

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just picked up the 5" Precision Monitors for my desk as nearfield about 48" from MLP. YES, I understand the Genelec 8330A are the same price but I couldn't resist trying something new and its frequency response does go a little lower. As a long time Sweetwater customer, I can always swap for the Genelec if I'm not happy over the next few weeks. I would've sent these to ASR but sadly I need monitors NOW and couldn't wait to get through Amir's long waiting list

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Quick update on my Precision 5, the ARC EQ software makes a HUGE difference in room correction for my small 10x10x9 room. I'm getting the low end I need from this small monitor, seriously impressive - I'll keep it after all! Only time will tell if these will last but "designed and hand made in Italy" was a surprise. I guess if you're going to charge a premium for labor maybe "made in Japan" would've been a more powerful message. When I think Italy, I think of fine wood cabinetry from Sonus Faber while these look utilitarian but definitely well built and sturdy.

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Quick update on my Precision 5, the ARC EQ software makes a HUGE difference in room correction for my small 10x10x9 room. I'm getting the low end I need from this small monitor, seriously impressive - I'll keep it after all! Only time will tell if these will last but "designed and hand made in Italy" was a surprise. I guess if you're going to charge a premium for labor maybe "made in Japan" would've been a more powerful message. When I think Italy, I think of fine wood cabinetry from Sonus Faber while these look utilitarian but definitely well built and sturdy.
I must say, for small room mastering, the amount of bass this little thing puts out with boundary support (and its room correction EQ software) is impressive and perfectly adequate for my needs.

oversky

Can you share some measurements after ARC EQ? Thank you.

badspeakerdesigner

I appreciate that Iloud is including their DSP in the cost of the speaker, giving you full functionality of your product out of the box. I'm not at all a fan of how Adam, genelec, and nuemann handle things charging quite a bit more. I hated neumann ma-1 on launch so much because it was such junk that I sold the mic and speakers. It was agreed to be mis-marketed junk at launch by sweetwater to the point that they refunded me the entire cost the mic and let me keep it and had to make edits to the product listings on their site.

I also appreciate that these have a hipass switch on the back, wish more active speakers had that.

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I appreciate that Iloud is including their DSP in the cost of the speaker, giving you full functionality of your product out of the box. I'm not at all a fan of how Adam, genelec, and nuemann handle things charging quite a bit more. I hated neumann ma-1 on launch so much because it was such junk that I sold the mic and speakers. It was agreed to be mis-marketed junk at launch by sweetwater to the point that they refunded me the entire cost the mic and let me keep it and had to make edits to the product listings on their site.

I also appreciate that these have a hipass switch on the back, wish more active speakers had that.
Yes, I too was impressed that it has both back panel controls for different shelfing/modeling options as well as a very intuitive and quick room correction software that was definitely easier to figure out without the manual than my Genelec GLM system. Although GLM is much MUCH more thorough in its reporting of room reflections for those who love tweaking minutiae, the ARC system is an easy to use minimum viable product that gets most people close enough and much farther ahead than without it.

LunaRay

Hey, could anyone recommend precision 6 or Precision MTM? After so much time after release, I don't see many reviews.
I currently have iLoud MTM and I am supper happy with them!

earlevel

Saw them at the NAMM Show, talked to a guy who was really impressed with them. They had individual laptops with each of the models, for attendees to play with and listen to, and a surround setup with all the models—the Precision models and iLoud MTMs. But it's a noisy environment. They looked great, but I couldn't do much listening (I expect they get loud enough—the guy encourage me to crank them up, but I didn't want to be annoying to the nearby booths). The software and controller look really nice for studio use.

Top Bottom