• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Iloud Precision Monitors

Slyman

Driver size isn’t everything, but the precision 5 is about the same size as the rumored KH120 DSP and the precision 6 has the same driver size as the announced KH150 DSP. If you put any of these speakers next to a KH80, you would realize they aren’t in the same size or power class.
Sure. I agree. But i mean with onboard DSP and nearly flat response, it can't be sound quality that separates these? But more in terms of SPL and perhaps a few hz deeper bass response.

But the kh80 goes down to 57hz +-3, and if you use them as studio monitors/nearfield where high spl isn't that important, then i mean double the price for iLoud Precision 5 is... I mean isn't the kh80 a no brainer?

TurtlePaul

Addicted to Fun and Learning
i mean double the price for iLoud Precision 5 is... I mean isn't the kh80 a no brainer?

You should be cross-shopping the original iLoud MTM vs. the KH 80. This Precision line is in a different price and performance class which I suppose you are not shopping, and that is alright.

Some people find the KH80 lacking at even 3-4 ft. distance if seeking reference volume with sufficient headroom. Also, how can you know that a bassy mix is right if the speaker can’t even get flat to 50 hz?

Slyman

You should be cross-shopping the original iLoud MTM vs. the KH 80. This Precision line is in a different price and performance class which I suppose you are not shopping, and that is alright.

Some people find the KH80 lacking at even 3-4 ft. distance if seeking reference volume with sufficient headroom. Also, how can you know that a bassy mix is right if the speaker can’t even get flat to 50 hz?
Ah i just saw that the website specifies the p5 is down to 39hz -4db. Thomann stupidly lists its range as 46hz and up, where its usually -10db when its written like that on the website. Okay i get it now. But may i ask in terms of performance, is there any parameters outside SPL and bass frequency response you were thinking of?

Last edited:

earlevel

The previous models where really good so I am optimistic that the newer models are also well engineered. From having a look at the speaker I think I identified the drivers they are using:

The tweeter looks like a Wavecore driver
Wavecore TW030WA09 or TW030WA10

The woofer might be a sb acoustics polypropylene oem with the satori basket?
5″ SB15MFC30-4 / Polypropylene
6″ SB17MFC35-4 / Polypropylene

Very decent drivers if they actually use theses drivers.
I don't think so, on the woofer—all models are described by IK as "ultralight coated paper mid-woofer". Also note that the IK woofers have six screws, versus the four in the SBA woofers.

The tweeter sure looks like a match, visually, but IK is spec'ing 38 mm ('1.5"') versus 30 mm for the Wavcor. Still could be a discrepancy from where it's measured.

PS—I think the original iLoud MTM competes well with the top choices in its price range, overall, but in particular stands out when size is an important factor. I'm glad they've continued into less space- and price-constrained designs, very interested and hopeful how these have turned out.

Interesting thought, for me: I like my studio monitors (Equator Q10; I was involved in the auto-calibration software so got them for free, but I truly like them and am not shopping for a replacement), and the original MTMs are my computer monitors where size is important. But would I be crazy to consider the new MTMs in my living room along side my new 77" OLED? Might give the coaxial KEFs a run for the money...and if I love them they could always move to the studio...

Last edited:

TurtlePaul

But may i ask in terms of performance, is there any parameters outside SPL and bass frequency response you were thinking of?
Until we have spin data that is what I am looking at.

To make sure you understand why I think the Precision MTM could be worth twice the price of KH 80 I would provide one more example.

Normal bookshelf/standmount speakers come on boxes that are 0.6 cubic feet or 1.0 cubic feet or 1.25 cubic feet. The iLoud Precision series are in this range. These iLouds weigh 13-22 pounds each, depending on model. You would carry one speaker at a time using both hands.

The KH 80 is in a ~0.25 cubic foot box and weighs <8 lbs. It is the size of a large computer speaker. You can hold one in the palm of your hand - but it surprisingly dense. Its bass and SPL output are only impressive relative to other computer speaker sized systems.

I look forward to these monitors reviewed relative to other real full-sized nearfield monitors.

OP
Lilith

Lilith

Also keep in mind reliability. The MTMs had some serious problems. At least some of them...

heflys20

Also keep in mind reliability. The MTMs had some serious problems. At least some of them...
These are hand made in Italy of (seemingly) better components, but we'll have to see I guess.

test1223

I don't think so, on the woofer—all models are described by IK as "ultralight coated paper mid-woofer". Also note that the IK woofers have six screws, versus the four in the SBA woofers.
The basket seems to be the same as from the satori series of sb acoustics I already wrote that in the first post ;)
If it is paper none of the sb acoustic series does fit from the optics of the cone though. Other candidates?

earlevel

Sorry, I wasn't familiar with audio forums outside of ASR.

I did a quick search and read some posts about port noise.
Do you know of any other problems?
I think there were some complaints of hiss. My MTMs are dead quiet and sound great. You're going to get port noise under certain circumstances with this kind of design, moving a lot of air with small speakers and cabinet, but it's not a problem in general (unless there is a physical problem with particular units).

The other complaint is they don't get very loud, but that's for music with deep and loud bass, and little going on in the high end—it simply takes more power to attain a given level of loudness. This is true of any amp/speakers combination, but it's exacerbated by the DSP boosting the lows to make up for the small drivers. You'll hit it far more often with the lows set to 40 Hz—you're just asking too much if you want that and loudness. I have no problem at 50 Hz, and with most music these things get far louder than I'd want to listen to for long. "Loud sounding" music styles (metal, most rock in general) aren't bass heavy, for instance, and play extremely loud for near-field monitoring.

Early on, I did see a number of complaints, particularly on GS. Difficult to have any idea what percentage of units, but I think IK must sell a lot of them. There are youtube videos of notable people using them in their recording studios, they are no joke even if they aren't for everyone.

tl;dr: IK surely sells a lot of MTMs, I assume they straitened out quality issue they might have had. And in a way, that makes me more hopeful for the Precision versions, not less.

It's a tantalizing thought to see if IK can achieve a similar scale of bang for buck and size, with less of a constraint on either—that's what has me intrigued, even though I'm not shopping for monitors...yet...

OP
Lilith

Lilith

I mean this thread

heflys20

It's mostly firmware issues, not being that loud and hiss. Seems most people are satisfied. Really, you'll find people having issues with most popular monitors if you read dedicated topics on gearspace. There's even a topic where a lot of people describe Genelecs as "hyped," even though a majority of measurements seem to indicate otherwise.

Personal experiences and all that.

F1308

Major Contributor
just wanted to chime in, because i received the iloud precision mtm monitors this morning.
i also posted my first impressions of the speakers on gearpace.com, so here we go:

i currently have them at my living right now, and will move them into the studio in a few days.

first reaction; they are ...LOUD! good thing even though they are loud – no noticeable hiss, even at +5db.

i'm listening to the new beyonce album right now, which has a nice mix/master. bass is controlled, deep and not really comparable to the original mtms – it simply is just "bigger" and much more defined, i don't know why somebody would need sub with these. the vocal presentation is astounding and lovely. stereoimaging is also a strong point of these speakers, it's fantastic.

this is just a few hours in, at my home, not in a properly treated studio room, but i can already say, that im gonna keep these 100%.

a big step up from my previous owned kali in-8 2nd, and the original iloud mtm.
all i can say is that im really impressed by now – really, really dig them!

i will see how they compare to the neumann KH310, once i moved them to the studio, but from my first impressions i can already tell, the precision mtm can absolutely compete against the neumanns (really not sorry for the neumann / genelec fans).

ps. i didnt mess with room calibration and the arc 3 software yet – will most likely do it when i moved the speakers to the studio.
but; they way i see it is, that speakers should sound good, regardless of all the fancy room correction stuff. and i can honestly say, that even if there would be any additional room calibration software, i would still keep them just the way they are!
Hi...
Any update from you after testing at the studio and comparing them to those Neumanns KH310 ?
Thank you...

:):):):)

jean-benoit

Hi...
Any update from you after testing at the studio and comparing them to those Neumanns KH310 ?
Thank you...

:):):):)

didn't have the time to move the speakers into the studio yet, i will post as soon as i can though.

ps. there still isn't anything i don't like about the speakers, they're awesome.

F1308

Major Contributor
didn't have the time to move the speakers into the studio yet, i will post as soon as i can though.

ps. there still isn't anything i don't like about the speakers, they're awesome.
Thank you

I am sure they are.

I went comparing many studio monitors and the sound from the littles old iLoud was precisely awesome to my ears. Add the price and that is it.

Anyway, I very much would like to hear from you once you kindly decide so.

My loudspeakers are great, but were released in 2006 and I think perhaps the time for a replacement is around the corner...

Locotek

I'm thinking about picking the precision models up, just waiting on a review here.

Since I'm getting them for production there's a need to know they measure up against genelec/neumann in the same price range.

The ik mtms I've currently got are nice and worked especially well when paired with a sub/sonarworks in a treated room but I can't put a sub in my current space.

So I'm looking for a beefier monitor that has some more low end transparency. Needing to resort to headphones during a collaborative session to hear what's going on is annoying and takes one out of the flow state.

Hope they deliver since more competition in this price range is great.

Top Bottom