• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

iLoud Micro Monitors measurements and quasi-anechoic spinorama

gorman

To be really precise, on my desk the stands are set to 23 cm and they max out at 27 cm.
I needed them at 32cm height (measured at the base of the speaker) for me to have the tweeters at ears' height. But I guess it all depends on one's height and desk height too.

I bought these https://www.amazon.it/dp/B07XYZDSVL/ (unfortunately much more expensive...). They fit perfectly.

They measure like this:

1600897747562.png

I EQed them like this:

1600897798572.png

I guess the positioning (even on stands) really messes up the FR.

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Would anyone be willing share their EQ settings for the iLoud Micro Monitors?

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Would anyone be willing share their EQ settings for the iLoud Micro Monitors?
Try this:
EQ for IK Multimedia iLoud Micro Monitor computed from ASR data
Generated from http://github.com/pierreaubert/spinorama/generate_peqs.py v0.8
Dated: 2021-05-09-07:16:08

Preamp: -2.0 dB

Filter 1: ON PK Fc 6091 Hz Gain -2.40 dB Q 0.52
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 628 Hz Gain +3.29 dB Q 11.03
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 1229 Hz Gain +2.76 dB Q 12.00
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 490 Hz Gain -1.52 dB Q 8.46
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 1496 Hz Gain -1.46 dB Q 3.91
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 2925 Hz Gain +2.19 dB Q 4.76
Filter 7: ON PK Fc 883 Hz Gain -1.43 dB Q 5.72
Filter 8: ON PK Fc 6134 Hz Gain +1.63 dB Q 5.49
Filter 9: ON PK Fc 758 Hz Gain -0.76 dB Q 12.00
Filter 10: ON PK Fc 1236 Hz Gain +1.06 dB Q 12.00
Filter 11: ON PK Fc 4846 Hz Gain -1.06 dB Q 9.81
Filter 12: ON PK Fc 1020 Hz Gain +0.94 dB Q 12.00
Filter 13: ON PK Fc 1123 Hz Gain -1.33 dB Q 12.00
Filter 14: ON PK Fc 1890 Hz Gain +1.51 dB Q 12.00
Filter 15: ON PK Fc 2021 Hz Gain -1.22 dB Q 9.27
Filter 16: ON PK Fc 1657 Hz Gain -0.98 dB Q 12.00
Filter 17: ON PK Fc 586 Hz Gain +0.96 dB Q 12.00
Filter 18: ON PK Fc 1346 Hz Gain -0.96 dB Q 12.00
Filter 19: ON PK Fc 671 Hz Gain +0.75 dB Q 12.00
Filter 20: ON PK Fc 1494 Hz Gain +0.92 dB Q 11.39

Atanasi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Thanks. I use a RME ADI-2 FS so I only get five EQ slots. Do I just use the first five?
You would need to know how the filters are generated. AutoEQ gives their filters in a format where the first five work on their own. I wonder if the spinorama tool can be configured to generate a different amount of filters.

hylidae

They are what I use on my desk at home, used very nearfield, subjectively I really like them, though on their own unsurprisingly lack bottom end, they sound amazing with a sub. So far I've decided not to measure them, ignorance is bliss.

I bought them over the iLoud because they have USB in, they don't have a front port, and they have a volume control on the front.
Hi – I’ve been looking for recommendations on a sub to pair with my iLoud Micros and I came across your post. I use mine for very nearfield monitoring too, so our use cases could be similar. If you don’t mind me asking, which one do you use with yours, and are you still happy with it?

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi – I’ve been looking for recommendations on a sub to pair with my iLoud Micros and I came across your post. I use mine for very nearfield monitoring too, so our use cases could be similar. If you don’t mind me asking, which one do you use with yours, and are you still happy with it?
I use the smallest Eve audio sub, it's probably overpriced for what it is. I'm happy with it for how I use it, the total lack of very low extension probably works for me. I think most other people would be happier with something else.

hylidae

Thank you for responding and thanks for the info – much appreciated!

I decided to order the Fostex Submini 2 – I need the low end to be represented at low volume but I don’t need to rattle the floorboards. The thing I’m concerned about is whether the iLouds with their DSP trickery will get along with it (or any sub since IK doesn’t offer their own).

Foxenfurter

I have been running iLoud with Fostex Submini 2 for a while now. I have the speakers on desktop mic stands and the sub on the floor. I have measured them together (although not separately) and bass extends to 40hz at -6db in my setup.

1641233352445.png

I use eq to tame the bass and it sounds great. I haven't really tried the speakers on their own as I had the sub-first from previous homebuilt speakers that honked like a goose.

Word of warning, the sub does not come with a speaker cover, so be careful with placement. Make sure you switch off when connecting as may cause thumps and as it has a floating ground you can get a small shock (horrible tingling sensation in the hands).

The auto sensing is useful, but can take a while to kick in so if you are running measurements I suggest turning it off. Hope this helps.

hylidae

I have been running iLoud with Fostex Submini 2 for a while now. I have the speakers on desktop mic stands and the sub on the floor. I have measured them together (although not separately) and bass extends to 40hz at -6db in my setup.

View attachment 176434

I use eq to tame the bass and it sounds great. I haven't really tried the speakers on their own as I had the sub-first from previous homebuilt speakers that honked like a goose.

Word of warning, the sub does not come with a speaker cover, so be careful with placement. Make sure you switch off when connecting as may cause thumps and as it has a floating ground you can get a small shock (horrible tingling sensation in the hands).

The auto sensing is useful, but can take a while to kick in so if you are running measurements I suggest turning it off. Hope this helps.

Good to know and thanks for the warning about the grounding issue – that sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen. :) In any case I’m looking forward to trying them out.

buscon

hi,

did anyone compared the Iloud micro monitors to the mtm version?

wwenze

Major Contributor
My cable broke, luckily IK sells them for 20 EUR inclusive of shipping

Inside looks pretty normal, color scheme like AC wiring.
CZe4wS6.png

The problem is the length of the connector + stiff cable resulting in lot of space requirement at the rear, so people like to bend the cable.

I'm thinking if I should keep the connectors to make some adapter for use with standard cables. Canare 4S series for example is much more flexible.

RobL

Forum Donor
My only complaint about the micros. I’m trying to source these 4 pin mini din adapters: ( if anyone has any leads )

Attachments

• 5C1D5246-E637-4E5C-8036-6832FF6179AF.png
    5C1D5246-E637-4E5C-8036-6832FF6179AF.png
    249.5 KB · Views: 65

Ozymand1as

Does that Fostex high-pass filter the signal going to the iLouds? Or does that not really matter?

I was also looking at the Presonus 8-inch sub for my own purposes.

dsnyder0cnn

I've been using the iLoud Micro Monitors on my desk with a Topping DX3 Pro+. My only complaint is the constant and very audible hiss and 2.2 kHz whistle these make all of the time, even when nothing is connected to them. This is my 2nd pair; I returned the first due to the same noise issue. I found that putting an iFi DC iPurifier2 in-line with the SMPS removes the 2.2 kHz whistle, but the hiss is still objectionable when the monitors are within arm's reach.

Is anyone else hearing the same thing, or is it just me? I've tried plugging these into different outlets with and without line conditioners (eg., Chang Lightspeed CLS 6400 ISO and iFi Audio PowerStation) with identical results. I'm reasonably confident that there's nothing unusual about the mains power that the SMPS is receiving in my environment.

I wish IK Multimedia offered these without the pointless bluetooth module. I suspect it is contributing to the noise. The Micro Monitors make quite a bit of extra noise during the first 30 seconds of power-up, which I assume is coming from bluetooth initialization. Who uses "professional" monitors with bluetooth??! Completely unnecessary for their intended application, IMHO.

The iLouds sound fine besides the constant hiss, but I can't wait to replace them with passive speakers driven by a Topping PA5. I'll finally be able to have silence at my desk when I want to without having to switch the damn speakers off.

Ozymand1as

Mine have way less hiss than my JBL 305p mkii. When I first turn them on there is a high pitch hum and a fairly loud hiss. After playing some music for some seconds the hum goes away entirely and the hiss becomes less audible from about 35 inches. I have to really concentrate to hear it over the background noise in and around my house.

The main difference with these iLouds is that when playing music at relatively low volume I cannot hear the hiss, which is not the case with my JBLs.

Mine are usually connected to a Dell laptop by an apple usb-c dongle. Then the 3.5mm wire goes straight to the iLoud R/L channels.

Unfortunately I don't have a calibrated SPL meter to objectively compare what you are hearing with my set.

Ozymand1as

Today is more quiet outside my house and the hiss is definitely there. I also notice that the speaker without all the interfaces on the back has more noticeable hiss than the other one for some reason.

I also forgot to mention a rather crucial point. I have the gain basically rolled off all the way. At 0dB gain the hiss is more noticeable and increasing above that I can also here some sort of high frequencies mixed in there.

Ozymand1as

I've been using the iLoud Micro Monitors on my desk with a Topping DX3 Pro+. My only complaint is the constant and very audible hiss and 2.2 kHz whistle these make all of the time, even when nothing is connected to them. This is my 2nd pair; I returned the first due to the same noise issue. I found that putting an iFi DC iPurifier2 in-line with the SMPS removes the 2.2 kHz whistle, but the hiss is still objectionable when the monitors are within arm's reach.

Is anyone else hearing the same thing, or is it just me? I've tried plugging these into different outlets with and without line conditioners (eg., Chang Lightspeed CLS 6400 ISO and iFi Audio PowerStation) with identical results. I'm reasonably confident that there's nothing unusual about the mains power that the SMPS is receiving in my environment.

I wish IK Multimedia offered these without the pointless bluetooth module. I suspect it is contributing to the noise. The Micro Monitors make quite a bit of extra noise during the first 30 seconds of power-up, which I assume is coming from bluetooth initialization. Who uses "professional" monitors with bluetooth??! Completely unnecessary for their intended application, IMHO.

The iLouds sound fine besides the constant hiss, but I can't wait to replace them with passive speakers driven by a Topping PA5. I'll finally be able to have silence at my desk when I want to without having to switch the damn speakers off.
You put this in my head and it started to drive me crazy too, so I switched to passive speakers. Got them set up today. Obviously there's lots of variables, but the noise floor is not audible in a quiet room at 1m, so I am satisfied!

dsnyder0cnn

You put this in my head and it started to drive me crazy too, so I switched to passive speakers. Got them set up today. Obviously there's lots of variables, but the noise floor is not audible in a quiet room at 1m, so I am satisfied!
Haha. Sorry about that, but hoping the change is for the better. Which amp and passive speakers are you using now?

A good friend of mine is building a pair of these for me: GR-Research LGK 2.0. These should work nicely with my Topping E50 + PA5. :)

Atanasi

Forum Donor
I ended up with Genelec 8010. The noise is not entirely inaudible close by (25 dB at 0.1 m, 5 dB at 1 m), but it is reasonable.

Top Bottom