• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ifi Zen Phono Review (phono stage)

Rate this phono stage:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 14 9.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 66 44.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 54 36.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 14 9.5%

• Total voters

guyp2k

Reading through the thread and I admit I am not sure what cartridge (Hana MH or ML) to pair with a Denon DP-300NE and an ifi Zen Phono, leaning toward the Hana MH. Any concerns or other recommendations?

Thanks

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
Reading through the thread and I admit I am not sure what cartridge (Hana MH or ML) to pair with a Denon DP-300NE and an ifi Zen Phono, leaning toward the Hana MH. Any concerns or other recommendations?

Thanks
Any of those will work well with the Zen

milosz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I think that a lot of the "sound" of a phono stage will be down to headroom* - how it handles the large and medium-large signals caused by even minor ticks, pops and crackle on vinyl. How much distortion do these signal swings cause, and how quickly does the preamp recover.

*Assuming decent SINAD and accurate RIAA EQ- which should be the bare minimum for a phono stage.

AaronJ

Thanks
I think low-output MC carts work best with a SUT to reduce noise instead of using high gain. That is why I use a Denon DL-103 (0.38mV) in my main system with a SUT and Denon DL-110 (1.6mV) in my office with a Schiit Mani 2 set to lowest gain.

WDeranged

I'm still happy with my Zen Phono. Higher priced units are temping me but I've done a few needledrops and they compare favourably with ones made on more expensive equipment.

Most recently I recorded a clean copy of Eye In The Sky. I thought it would be fun to compare it to the various CD releases what with it being an early digital recording. The vinyl sounds extremely close. So I don't doubt that the Zen is producing a very accurate signal.

This headroom question keeps bugging me. Clicks and pops are awful and I've heard that certain preamps deal with them more elegantly. The thing is, I can see in my needledrops that most of the clicks we hear on vinyl are well below the signal. Of course there are louder clicks on damaged vinyl but I think most of us wouldn't choose to keep those records.

So I'm thinking I should probably hold off on spending $600 dollars on any of the more esoteric preamps. For now.

WDeranged

My two year old Zen (v1.3) has started dying. Not a good sign. But I love the way the thing sounds so I got a new one. It's 1.4, so hopefully they fixed whatever caused mine to fail.

Baudrillard_J

My two year old Zen (v1.3) has started dying. Not a good sign
Definitely not a good sign. Which adds to my fears that iFi products may be manufactured with planned obsolescence built-in. My Zen Phono which is a year old is still ok. But my DAC, the iFi iDSD started having screen glitches almost right after the cut-off date on the warranty. Mind you this is a replacement unit, I had already replaced one under warranty for the same reason.

But can you please elaborate on how the Zen Phono is failing? I would assume that it is such a simple circuit that should last one for many years. It would be a really bad sign if a simple thing like a phono stage breaks down only just after two years.

WDeranged

Definitely not a good sign. Which adds to my fears that iFi products may be manufactured with planned obsolescence built-in. My Zen Phono which is a year old is still ok. But my DAC, the iFi iDSD started having screen glitches almost right after the cut-off date on the warranty. Mind you this is a replacement unit, I had already replaced one under warranty for the same reason.

But can you please elaborate on how the Zen Phono is failing? I would assume that it is such a simple circuit that should last one for many years. It would be a really bad sign if a simple thing like a phono stage breaks down only just after two years.

You can see the details here. You're absolutely right that this shouldn't happen after only two years. If the replacement fails I certainly won't be using any ifi products again.

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
Hello, would a load of 1K Ω under 60DB be better than a load of 100 Ω or 47K Ω?

The loads are linked to the gains, which prevents you from agonizing over what "load" to choose. Pick the gain matching your cartridge and you are set.

Verig

After a year (or two..? time flies) in use I must say this is an excellent preamp. No fooling around with psu noise or picking up interference (so, no "normal" phono problems). It's dead quiet and very neutral.
My records are in at least ok shape so can't really say I have a problem with pops, it's fine. I've heard better but it's not an issue.
The "AI" subsonic filter works. My system messures down to 16Hz in room and there has been no issues.

As individual units go I've owned better but in my current system as a whole this is really good. And it was a bargain at 150€

And I must say I kinda enjoy the very non-traditional approach. Vinyl purists tend to flail their arms and eyes when they see the PSU and innards. (Yes, I'm five year old, I can live with that.)

Verig

Forgot to mention that you can drive it with a normal usb power bank. Makes no difference to the sound but you can if you want.

Also, I mentioned "neutral". I mean it in a very positive sense. So not bright or lean or anything. I'm a long time musician / audio tech and while I definitely am not "top of my game" I know pretty well how things, organic or machines, should sound. This little box is spot on compared to anything. :)

WDeranged

Forgot to mention that you can drive it with a normal usb power bank. Makes no difference to the sound but you can if you want.

Also, I mentioned "neutral". I mean it in a very positive sense. So not bright or lean or anything. I'm a long time musician / audio tech and while I definitely am not "top of my game" I know pretty well how things, organic or machines, should sound. This little box is spot on compared to anything. :)

This was my impression of the Zen Phono. Very neutral with a clear, dynamic sound. I recently moved on to a Spartan 15 but if the Zen was the only preamp in the world I'd be satisfied.

Top Bottom