• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Ifi Zen DAC input with DT990pro

Pflamingo

Having a bit of a thing to solve, and sorry if this sounds stupid simple to you guys.

I just bought the Zen DAC (yes I know Amir did not recommend it, but having read other reviews online and forum posts, I decided to go with it, as it still would seem to perform well for my Audioengine A2 speakers and a good pair of headphones.

I am looking to buy the DT990pro 250ohm, but it is a 3,5mm connector. What do I need to buy to get it connected through either the 4,4mm balanced or 6,3mm unbalanced?

Also, do you think the 250ohm version is a good match with the Zen DAC? I'm usually not listening too loud.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I am looking to buy the DT990pro 250ohm, but it is a 3,5mm connector.

The DT990 Pro comes with a 3.5mm TRS jack with a screw-on 6.3mm adapter. You don't need to buy anything.
When it is bought second hand and doesn't include an adapter you can simply buy a 6.3mm adapter (don't need to have a screw fitting)

As Veri already mentioned... cannot use the Pentaconn connector.

OP
P

Pflamingo

Okay great, did not see 6,3mm adapter as part of the package I bought.
But then would it matter to use the balanced port instead, is there an audible difference?

Veri

Master Contributor
But then would it matter to use the balanced port instead, is there an audible difference?
It can provide more power but I'm not sure you will need the additional power on the DT990.. you could try it out and see how high on the knob you need to go for your preferred volume.
Edit: as solderdude mentions you can't actually use the balanced port as-is though. I'm just saying, say you could use it, there is potentially more power output there.

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Okay great, did not see 6,3mm adapter as part of the package I bought.

You can NOT use the balanced output of the amp with the DT990 simply because of the way the headphone is wired.
You would need to modify the DT990 and make it dual entry.
The 6.3mm adapter SHOULD be in the box when you bought it new.

OP
P

Pflamingo

Have only just ordered the DT990Pro, am certain it's in the box if you say so. Will arrive tomorrow.
I just hope I did not order the 250ohms in vain, and instead should have gotten less ohms (80 or 32)

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The DT990 Pro is always 250 Ohm
The DT990 Edition (or Manufaktur) are available in 32, 250 and 600 Ohm versions
(AFAIK)

OP
P

Pflamingo

The DT990 Pro is always 250 Ohm
The DT990 Edition (or Manufaktur) are available in 32, 250 and 600 Ohm versions
(AFAIK)
You're right, I misread the online stores info. Anyway got the 990 pro today. Sounds awesome with the ifi Zen dac.
But I have plugged my speakers into the RCA output in the back of the zen DAC, and when I insert the dt990 with 6,3mm into unbalanced input, the sound output still comes from the speakers. Is there no way of handling that per automatic, so I don't need to unplug the speaker cables, in order to get the output from the headphones? That's super annoying..

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Not with the ifi ZEN.
You could put a line-switch between the RCA out and speakers, with that you can switch the signal to the speakers off.

OP
P

Pflamingo

That sucks.
But this device is made to be used with headphones AND speakers at the same time. So what have they been thinking..

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Indeed this DAC can be used with speakers and headphones at the same time.
Amps like the Atom (as well as some other amps) either have the line-out or H.P. out.
In certain amps you can choose to have the line-out switch off or not when inserting a headphone.

OP
P

Pflamingo

I talked to Ifi in the UK about this. They told me the same thing: you can't utilize having speakers and headphones plugged in at the same time.
But to me, that is just a silly design. Should have been a switch built-in, or similar. Because what is the purpose then of having a headphone jack and for speakers, if you always have to make the switch by plugging cables in/out.

I will definitely look for a different DAC/AMP in the future. Perhaps the Element II from JDS labs.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
something like THIS is all you need to add between the RCA out and the speakers.

OP
P

Pflamingo

something like THIS is all you need to add between the RCA out and the speakers.
Thanks for the link, but it seems overkill to me to buy that sort of device, as a second device on my setup. I'd rather have it built-in in my future DAC/AMP. Also it's not as clean looking on my desk, having a second device and with only switching functionality.

BD DT 990 pro

Thanks for the link, but it seems overkill to me to buy that sort of device, as a second device on my setup. I'd rather have it built-in in my future DAC/AMP. Also it's not as clean looking on my desk, having a second device and with only switching functionality.
Hi. How do you like your dt 990 pros with zen dac?

OP
P

Pflamingo

Hi. How do you like your dt 990 pros with zen dac?
I quite like the match. The headphones are really comfortable. Have finetuned the sound with Equalizer APO with Peace GUI, to Oratory equalizer settings. Sound even better.
Obviously I updated the Zen firmware to 5.3c as I recall it. I read that one should do that update, to get even better sound.

I came from a Steelseries Arctis 7 gaming headset (which I still use sometimes, when in need of multiplayer games with friends, where I need my mic), and the sound difference is substantial I would say.

I only have these annoyances with the Zen DAC:
  • It has no power on/off button
  • The USB cable is too short. I will have to buy a longer cable for the DAC to sit on my desk. Right now it has to be close to my PC under the table.
  • There is no automatic or manual physical switch on the DAC, to switch between headphones and speakers. I have to manually unplug speakers each time I want to use the headphones.
  • Power adapter is not part of the package. Other similar priced DAC/AMPs have that. And their proprietary power adapter is super pricey.
But other than that I'm happy so far. But am already looking to replace the AMP/DAC with another one.

BD DT 990 pro

I quite like the match. The headphones are really comfortable. Have finetuned the sound with Equalizer APO with Peace GUI, to Oratory equalizer settings. Sound even better.
Obviously I updated the Zen firmware to 5.3c as I recall it. I read that one should do that update, to get even better sound.

I came from a Steelseries Arctis 7 gaming headset (which I still use sometimes, when in need of multiplayer games with friends, where I need my mic), and the sound difference is substantial I would say.

I only have these annoyances with the Zen DAC:
  • It has no power on/off button
  • The USB cable is too short. I will have to buy a longer cable for the DAC to sit on my desk. Right now it has to be close to my PC under the table.
  • There is no automatic or manual physical switch on the DAC, to switch between headphones and speakers. I have to manually unplug speakers each time I want to use the headphones.
  • Power adapter is not part of the package. Other similar priced DAC/AMPs have that. And their proprietary power adapter is super pricey.
But other than that I'm happy so far. But am already looking to replace the AMP/DAC with another one.
Which amp dac are you looking?

Sashik

Pflamingo I have DT 770 pro and 990 pro, both 250 ohm, looking to buy Zen Dac, can you please tell me

1) Are you running Zen Dac through usb 2.0 or 3.0? Are you using 5V adapter? (I'm having only 2.0 in my PC)
2) What about the max volume for 990 pro(yours also 250 ohm right?), can Zen Dac run them very loud?
3) How does the True Bass function feels on dt 990?

Top Bottom