• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

If CDs are obsolete, why old CD players are still expensive?

Feelas

But parametric EQ is now free. I doubt "traditional" 10 band equalizers are seeing much use these days. And, for the most part, EQ-ing consists of seeing the frequency response of the gear to be EQ-ed, then compensating in the other direction. Much easier to get good results with APO EQ [freeware] than with just about anything else.
Well, yes, albeit it's been discussed in the context of @Frank Dernie mentioning how years ago it didn't requite much knowledge to regulate for preferences, and in fact I perceive it quite opposite - you were forced to be as knowledgeable as possible to fit what you need into a 10-band & 2 shelves (most often having a presetup shelf start) setup.

These days, yes, of course!

Robin L

Master Contributor
Well, yes, albeit it's been discussed in the context of @Frank Dernie mentioning how years ago it didn't requite much knowledge to regulate for preferences, and in fact I perceive it quite opposite - you were forced to be as knowledgeable as possible to fit what you need into a 10-band & 2 shelves (most often having a presetup shelf start) setup.

These days, yes, of course!
Right.

Recording and reproduction of sound has improved. I had to use those 10-band equalizers and Burwen pop filters back in the bad old days for radio production. I'd say that a lot of what's driving audio improvements in the 21st century is trickle-down tech from smartphones, learning how to jam all that processing power into an object that fits in your pocket.

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
CD is becoming the "vinyl" of the XXI century!
I still have a CD player in my car, but do not feed it anymore, or rarely.
At home I am listening Amazon music HD.
When I switched from "vinyl" to CD I trashed all my records.
For now I am keeping my CDs, but I do not know for how long.

Not related , but how about the this vinyl ?

1608751906217.png

valerianf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Sorry but I trashed my turntable decades ago.
I kept my parents turntable are souvenir (they are no more alive).

To go back to the discussion about CD, it seems that it is going to be the last physical support for music.
It is a little sad as video has moved to ssd many years ago.
Ssd has the advantage to be compatible with many various digital formats when the CD is frozen in its original birth.
No hope for CD upgrade...

Robin L

Master Contributor
Sorry but I trashed my turntable decades ago.
I kept my parents turntable are souvenir (they are no more alive).

To go back to the discussion about CD, it seems that it is going to be the last physical support for music.
It is a little sad as video has moved to ssd many years ago.
Ssd has the advantage to be compatible with many various digital formats when the CD is frozen in its original birth.
No hope for CD upgrade...
But Blu-Ray audio already exists.

valerianf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yes there were several tentative BR Audio, SACD.
I doubt that new albums will come to theses formats.
The only trend nowadays is streaming.
I will keep my CD library, but I doubt that I will listen to them very often.
Who knows...

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
CDs are not obsolete. They will never be obsolete because they make the artist and record label the most amount of money. Much more than streaming or buying individual tracks on iTunes.

As a refence point, the average actual real per stream rate for Sound Recordings for Spotify's Premium subscription service in November 2019, was $0.0043 per stream.

Itunes take roughly 37% of records sale.

Phyiscal CDs are almost 100% profit to the record label, the numbers simply do not compare. Selling music in physical format will always be available to people who want them.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
CDs are not obsolete. They will never be obsolete because they make the artist and record label the most amount of money. Much more than streaming or buying individual tracks on iTunes.

As a refence point, the average actual real per stream rate for Sound Recordings for Spotify's Premium subscription service in November 2019, was $0.0043 per stream.

Itunes take roughly 37% of records sale.

Phyiscal CDs are almost 100% profit to the record label, the numbers simply do not compare. Selling music in physical format will always be available to people who want them.

Yes, but just because a format is profitable to them doesn’t mean that consumers will continue to choose it. Among under-40s I know, vinyl is the only physical music medium still purchased.

1608819355330.jpeg

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, but just because a format is profitable to them doesn’t mean that consumers will continue to choose it. Among under-40s I know, vinyl is the only physical music medium still purchased.

View attachment 101336

If you read my post, i said record labels will always offer physical media. But that doesn’t mean people will buy them at the same frequency forever.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If you read my post, i said record labels will always offer physical media. But that doesn’t mean people will buy them at the same frequency forever.

Yeh I understand that. I agree physical media will be around a long time. What I meant though was that I think the vinyl record will long outlive the CD.

Robin L

Master Contributor
Yeh I understand that. I agree physical media will be around a long time. What I meant though was that I think the vinyl record will long outlive the CD.
It's a better Baseball Card/Participation Trophy.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

The reason why Vinyl is having a comeback is because you can’t dynamically compress tracks on Vinyl in the same dramatic way you can digitally.

People think Vinyl sounds better but it’s just their speakers clipping on the digital file lmao.

Robin L

Master Contributor
The reason why Vinyl is having a comeback is because you can’t dynamically compress tracks on Vinyl in the same dramatic way you can digitally.

People think Vinyl sounds better but it’s just their speakers clipping on the digital file lmao.
I'm a people and I don't think LPs sound better. I know the sound always gets worse the closer you get to the end of an LP side.

ALWAYS.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor

Is that the reason it's having a comeback?

That's interesting, because what you describe has nothing do with why I collect vinyl.

xykreinov

Forum Donor
Market demand wise, yes, they're falling by the wayside. Maybe in the future, some hipsters will treat them like vinyl or tape. But, I have my doubts.
Though, objectively speaking, there's still a good reason to use CDs for local playback: the data rot and general worse reliability of hard drives, SSDs, etc. Discs, be it DVD, Blu Ray, CD, etc. are simply much much less prone to have various types of data corruption over time. So, CDs are a nice type of long term storage, with the bonus of having tangible value that your copied lossless files never would.

Top Bottom