• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Idle power consumption and longevity of DDRC-24

Geertidow

Dear fellow forum members,

I'm using a DDRC-24 in the living room.
It is convenient to just leave it on (I'm trying to keep it simple downstairs for the family).
An idle DDRC-24 get's a bit warm.

Does anyone dare to guess if this results in a strongly reduced span of life?

Kind regards,

Geert

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

MCH

Major Contributor
Mine gets very hot too.
I wasn't comfortable having it 24/7 on so i made a switch that turns it on automatically when I use it. So far so good, but note that i did it on my own risk, i don't know if this sort of switch is supported.
That said, it is an old model and i have not read any complains.

Last edited:
OP
G

Geertidow

What kind of switch did you build? I'd like to build it as well :)

MCH

Major Contributor
What kind of switch did you build? I'd like to build it as well :)

What I did was very specific for my use case, not sure if it will fit yours, you can have a look and decide yourself.

Basically I wanted way to turn on and off my whole system pressing one single button of a remote control. So easy but so difficult to achieve sometimes.
A microcontroller receives the signal from the remote and activates the switch, that is based on a mosfet.
The mosfet open/closes the DC supply of the minidsp.

I also have a motu ultralite mk5 connected exactly the same with an identical mosfet switch. I asked Motu if this could damage the ultralite and they said it was fine, but I did not ask minidsp, so I don’t know if this usage is supported or not.

You can find details on the mosfet switch here:

And on the final build here (of course, to just switch on and off the minidsp you dont need such a complicated setup, mine has many other functionalities):

If you finally want to go for it and need help, just let me know, I will be happy to help, but be aware you will need to learn a bit about microcontrollers if you never used them before. good luck :)

OP
G

Geertidow

I am almosted ashamed to admit. But using the power sockets in my amplifier (sony ta-fe530r) solves the problem.
Amp off = ddrc-24 off.

OP
G

Geertidow

And finally the real solution: master slave power plug. So everything in the audiocabinet switches on when the amplifier is turned off.

Reactions: MCH
Top Bottom