• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hifiberry Digi+ idle standard output

Geertidow

Dear fellow forum members,

If I connect a RP4 with a HifiBerry Digi+ standard to an amp with automatic signal detect (auto sense)
Would it keep sending some sort of idle signal (optical out) when the RP4 is in standby mode?
Since I'd be using 2 optical inputs (xbox and RP4 streamer) I would want the amp to turn off and switch to the right input.

I'm considering using an RP4 with hifiberry digi+ standard to feed an Argon SA1 amp for in the living room.

Thanks in advance,

Geert

TheWalkman

For the past few years, I’ve been running several variations of Pi based, Volumio streamers.

My current, everyday favorite is a JustBoom Digi Zero pHAT with a Toslink connection to a Topping E70 DAC/ preamp driving a triggered, Audiophonics HPA-S400 ET (Purifii) amp.

The Pi Zero 2W has more than ample horsepower for this application (I believe my average CPU utilization is < 15%,) and the Zero 2W sips power, but I’m not going to mount my soapbox and say you don’t need a Pi4 to stream audio.

I had been running a Pi Zero2W with a straight USB connection but the Topping would not switch the amp off, even when idle.

The Audiophonics amp draws around 15 W when idle.

With the optical connection, the Topping shuts the amp down after around 1 minute of inactivity. It powers the amp up after a signal is present for five seconds or so.

(The DAC also has a coax link but I haven’t tested this config for on/ off times.)

I also have a Sangean HD tuner attached to the Topping and the DAC will automatically sense which input is active, prioritizing the first active input.

I think your configuration will work based on my experience but I can’t guarantee it with absolute, 100% certainty.

IMG_3724.jpeg

Top Bottom