• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I worship at the altar of imaging

Fitzcaraldo215

Major Contributor
Hi

I don't have a fixed position on imaging (Puns intended:)). At concert in large halls. I just hear a big blob of sounds with some left and right and a hall sound.... I don't hear "layered depth" and all the things we audiophiles like so much to talk about... This in concert halls. In small venues however, I have come to experience a vividness and a positioning that my ears, not my eyes do tell me... There is depth and sometimes there can be very exact positioning of players/instruments.
This said.. There is a difference between what we hear and what the speakers produce. It is somewhat true that monopole speakers radiate most of their energy to the front but sometimes with some speakers the sound does seem to come from even further back the plane of speakers. We're not talking about dipole speakers which IME perform this trick routinely. I wouldn't be so bold as to say that there isn't some sense of depth in stereo by which I believe you meant two (2) channels. In some instances regardless of how it was achieved depth can be reliably perceived, IME, in a 2-ch setting.

I don't agree about the "blob" of sound idea live in large halls with large ensembles, like a symphony orchestra. Yes, the individual first violin section or the cellos or basses, etc. can and do sound that way if they are playing well and together in unison. But, the "blob" of first violins or other instrumental sections each have finite, though not starkly defined, width and depth dimensions different from other sections. And, yes, when many sections are playing carefully harmonized music at the same time, there is often a larger "blob", blending elements from multiple instruments and sections. But, the "blob" is not consistently uniform in tonality or in its perceived spatial image. Basses, cellos and violas toward the right give a tonal weight to that side that first and second violins on the left do not have, etc.

Eyes closed live, I do hear front to back and also height layering if they are playing on risers, as my local Philadelphia Orchestra does. Some of that might depend on where one is sitting. For me, it is better in the floor Orchesta seats, as opposed to the First Tier Balcony center boxes where I used to sit in Verizon Hall at the Kimmel Center. The sight lines were better in the higher seats, but the sound is better on the floor overall. I prefer sitting between midway and back of the hall, normally about 2/3 back, also. And, it is a lot cheaper than the Box seats were.

Many experienced listeners in my home have noticed the excellent sense of soundstage depth and dimensionality achieved in my Mch system. But, at the risk of people calling me totally crazy nuts, there is also a noticeable sense of image height in many, though not all recordings. The brasses and percussion sound noticeably higher and deeper in the soundstage than do the woodwinds, which in turn sound slightly higher and deeper than the strings, like the effect live.

I have no idea what specific system/room accidents or artifacts have occurred in my setup to cause height perception. But, it is quite noticeable, and I like it. Mathematically, I sort of almost see how phantom imaging in this way is possible from a speaker array in a horizontal plane and how a mike array might capture it. But, do not ask me to explain it. And, our ears are, of course, able to detect height, even though there are only two of them.

It is not frequency dependent. For example, trumpets, trombones, tuba and horns all exhibit this to a similar degree on a fair number of Mch SACDs, such as Philadelphia Ondines, Concertgebouw RCO Lives, Budapest Festival Channel Classics, etc. It is also not ceiling bounce. My ceiling has a very large opening to the floor above and varies from 8' on the left side to about 18' on the right, with the curved ceiling cutout about midway. There is also no sense of a vertically stretched image with soloists. They sound like point sources, often also with a sense of the body of the instrument - basses, cellos or pianos, for example.

My effect is perhaps most likely a result of the use of fairly tall Martin Logan 2-way electrostat dipole hybrids with fairly low xovers to their passive woofer drivers. My horizontal 'stat hybrid center channel is also above, not below, my TV monitor and pointed down at my ears. All front speakers are about 5' into the room. A good friend, who is a recording and equipment reviewer and concert goer, agrees it is there in my system, but not in his own Wilson Duette II-based Mch system to anywhere near the same extent. Ditto for other friends, including one with Revel Studio IIs. They are all a little jealous, I think.

Somewhere I have an old Chesky test CD that had a track of point source noises - maybe keys jangling, as I recall - that was specifically recorded to test this. The noise source was miked successively moving up the left side, across the center, then down the right side. My old ML CLS IIz's did fairly well, though not perfectly in height, at tracking the proper image locations, per the documentation. I have not repeated those tests for decades.

Sorry to take this scientific forum into the la-la land of my audiophile ravings. But, when discussing imaging, we are dealing with a lot of subjectivism, I think. I do not know of much viable empirical research that sheds much light on the topic in any detail.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Which ML's do you have?

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
My sister modest system throws a reasonable image and the amps are not in the speakers :eek::eek::eek:

I can't say it's the thing that brings musical connection for me, I am just as 'connected' to music in my bedroom or sitting outside the 'sweet spot' when friends are round as I am right in the stereo zone. If a track throws a huge soundstage ( like led Zeppelin one) then the sheer emersion in the stage can add to the expirance in a worthwhile way.

Duet albums like Donny Hathaway and roberta flack require properly setup system for obvious reasons but that's not hard to get right..

A half decent hifi set up properly should image well, it's no big thing imo. Slightly deeper, slightly wider.. Don't care personally. If you find yourself overly concerned by image then I would suggest your lacking musically in a part of your system.

I happily listen to mono:eek::D

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
I agree with the member* who mentioned that the best imaging comes from the best music recordings.
If you have excellent speakers that cost $300/pair or $300,000/pair, if the music recordings have no good imaging in them it just won't matter. ...I think.
_______

* Fitzcaraldo:

"I think the recording itself has one hell of a lot to do with it. Yes, playback system, room and setup differences can also play a major role. I think everybody knows how speaker toe-in, for example, can affect imaging, though not much in the left, center, right sense - a wider or narrower, more intimate soundstage, etc., perhaps."

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I happily listen to mono
Yep, as I mentioned earlier, if your not sitting in a "sweet spot" attentive to the image, what real benefits does stereo bring to the plate besides the added cost?
In my larger digs up north I had assembled two systems, one for the kitchen/dining area, the other for my work area in the basement. Both using quality classic mono amp/speaker components that I had picked up on the cheap being driven by various modern stereo sources that were Y corded to mono. The results were systems with good detail and beautiful warm tonality that were a pleasure to listen to at the times you can't sit with your head in the vice.
I do find that my mch system brings a much more enjoyable experience than stereo to the table for some of those times. Such as in the evening when I'm stretched out on the couch relaxing. Although I'm not hearing any kind of real image, the room walls still tend to disappear enveloping me in a warm musical experience.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
There are some 3-channel music recordings too...with a third additional center channel.

I think Stereo means Solid, with a solid anchor in the middle...the center channel. But they skip it because back then they didn't want to complicate audio customer's life with a third speaker. ...Financially.

fas42

Major Contributor
I have no idea what specific system/room accidents or artifacts have occurred in my setup to cause height perception. But, it is quite noticeable, and I like it. Mathematically, I sort of almost see how phantom imaging in this way is possible from a speaker array in a horizontal plane and how a mike array might capture it. But, do not ask me to explain it. And, our ears are, of course, able to detect height, even though there are only two of them.
The auditory cues are all in the recording. Evolution has meant that our hearing is extremely adept in deciphering what the sounds our ears pick up mean, including a quite exact location of the source of the sound - even when the sound is highly "mangled", say, just coming from two speaker boxes. All the echos from the space in which the recording was done are coded information that tell the story, and all that has to happen is for that information to reach the brain, without extra scrambling from system deficiencies. A particular system will show more and more space, precise localisation, and imaging, as it is improved - it's just an automatic process, and happens every time ...

OP
H

hvbias

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I think imaging is just a natural by-product of solid, repeatable matching between the two speakers, and this means maintaining the match even when the speakers are required to reproduce widely differing signals. (I was listening to a track by the Small Faces where the peculiar 1960s panning placed vocals in the middle and all the bass at the right hand side. For certain types of speaker, intermodulation effects would affect a centrally-panned vocal on one side more than the other, thereby destroying the imaging of the vocal).

Low distortion (as stated by fas42) is therefore essential, as is solid time domain response. Off-axis response is not a major factor in this, nor is cabinet diffraction. It is my guess that diffraction and reflections in the room are very much secondary factors because we hear the direct sound primarily and filter out any delay-based effects - and diffraction is a delay-based effect. Absolute time domain performance of the speakers is a refinement that removes colouration of transients and must be beneficial in setting the ears 'at ease', but, again, is a secondary effect with respect to imaging. With DSP speakers, I have never found speaker positioning to be overly critical in maintaining the imaging effect - the brain seems to compensate for a simple, fixed delay.

I don't see why imaging should be regarded as mysterious in any way, as it is a by-product of decent, basic performance. It is trivial and automatic for three-way speakers with precisely-matched active crossovers to achieve it. The most accurately-matched crossovers are achieved with DSP.

Maybe the myth of imaging being a magical property has grown up around earlier technologies where the matching between speakers is upset by intermodulation distortion, poor damping, and poorly-matched crossovers whose effectiveness varies with volume. The usual suite of speaker measurements ignore these effects completely, so a mythology grows up around speakers that supposedly measure brilliantly and yet image poorly, or speakers (as stated in the OP) that measure poorly but image well.

Imaging should surely be the central aim of stereo (should the recording be created that way), but in the topsy turvy, archaic world of audio technology it is regarded by many as a mysterious property, if not a myth!

Cosmik I'm not sure it's such a trivial thing. I've heard just as many systems that image well as ones that fall flat. And I'm including ATCs active towers where it sounds like the music is "glued" to the speakers. Regarding time domain most audiophile speakers measure very poorly here (if JA's step response is anything to go by), yet dozens of them image incredibly well. Maybe it's worth questioning why even with all these compromises the typical audiophile box speaker has, many of them are still capable of exceptional imaging?

While it's no myth or magical property, for me it's still something worth pursuing objectively since it makes it easier to create a list of speakers that I should hear.

While we're being subjective the speaker designs that consistently have the poorest imaging are the audiophile horn speakers (Avant-garde, Living Voice, one company doing Klipsch clone, etc). I suspect this may also be why (to borrow a term from Peter Breuninger :eek::eek: ) the "tier 1" reviewers don't include horns in the mainstream write ups.

OP
H

hvbias

"Images in a 3D manner to me means it does matter whether the image begins in front or behind the speakers."

There is no real front to back depth in stereo and nothing begins behind the speakers. Nothing begins behind the speakers in surround either, for that matter. The sense of depth in stereo is a result of the recording and the mix, and the engineers' skill at creating an illusion of depth through the use of things like mic placement, the relative volumes of the instruments and the use of time-based effects.

Tim

Stereo is an illusion so it's subjective to some degree. Like Frantz I've heard systems where there is so much depth that you lose position of where the speakers are, so the sound could sound like it was coming from behind the speakers. I'll take your word with the nearfield setup, I tried pretty hard to get Quad active monitors and Mofi bookshelf speakers to do what larger speakers did from further away and it didn't satisfy me. This is will classical music. WRT to the bass sweet spot, I believe dallasjustice has solved this with his DSP mid front wall and mid rear wall setup.

Hi

I don't have a fixed position on imaging (Puns intended:)). At concert in large halls. I just hear a big blob of sounds with some left and right and a hall sound.... I don't hear "layered depth" and all the things we audiophiles like so much to talk about... This in concert halls. In small venues however, I have come to experience a vividness and a positioning that my ears, not my eyes do tell me... There is depth and sometimes there can be very exact positioning of players/instruments.
This said.. There is a difference between what we hear and what the speakers produce. It is somewhat true that monopole speakers radiate most of their energy to the front but sometimes with some speakers the sound does seem to come from even further back the plane of speakers. We're not talking about dipole speakers which IME perform this trick routinely. I wouldn't be so bold as to say that there isn't some sense of depth in stereo by which I believe you meant two (2) channels. In some instances regardless of how it was achieved depth can be reliably perceived, IME, in a 2-ch setting.

Yes, I agree in most concert halls the sound field is hazy. However recording mic(s) are picking up sound in a different way, so if it's on the disc it should be reproduced as is.

My sister modest system throws a reasonable image and the amps are not in the speakers :eek::eek::eek:

I can't say it's the thing that brings musical connection for me, I am just as 'connected' to music in my bedroom or sitting outside the 'sweet spot' when friends are round as I am right in the stereo zone. If a track throws a huge soundstage ( like led Zeppelin one) then the sheer emersion in the stage can add to the expirance in a worthwhile way.

Duet albums like Donny Hathaway and roberta flack require properly setup system for obvious reasons but that's not hard to get right..

A half decent hifi set up properly should image well, it's no big thing imo. Slightly deeper, slightly wider.. Don't care personally. If you find yourself overly concerned by image then I would suggest your lacking musically in a part of your system.

I happily listen to mono:eek::D

Ha, that is sort of ironic since by every report I have read (including several friends I trust) you have some of the best imaging speakers!! :D I can enjoy music nearly anywhere and do plenty of listening in my car; completely stock setup no frills. This forum is after all the pursuit of high fidelity and if the recording calls for it a high fidelity system should reproduce it.

Between rock, classical, jazz and delta blues I estimate I have 500-1000 mono discs. Of course I prefer stereo if a decent stereo mix exists, however many mid to late 60s rock albums had anemic stereo mixes.

By the way guys, since this is Audio Science Review - the scientific measure of imaging is the IACC, as I mentioned in my post.

http://scitation.aip.org/content/asa/journal/jasa/92/4/10.1121/1.404472

I'm investigating it :)

And sorry for all the subjective ramblings, I do prefer if the discussion stays more on the objective side.

Last edited:

NorthSky

Major Contributor
The auditory cues are all in the recording. Evolution has meant that our hearing is extremely adept in deciphering what the sounds our ears pick up mean, including a quite exact location of the source of the sound - even when the sound is highly "mangled", say, just coming from two speaker boxes. All the echos from the space in which the recording was done are coded information that tell the story, and all that has to happen is for that information to reach the brain, without extra scrambling from system deficiencies. A particular system will show more and more space, precise localisation, and imaging, as it is improved - it's just an automatic process, and happens every time ...

I entirely agree with you Frank, as long as we sit near the ideal location...between them two speakers and @ an appropriate distance...depending.

fas42

Major Contributor
I entirely agree with you Frank, as long as we sit near the ideal location...between them two speakers and @ an appropriate distance...depending.
That's not necessary, Bob - if the reproduction is good enough then the ear/brain adjusts for the path discrepancies between the stereo speakers and where you happen to be, and the imaging remains rock solid as one moves around in the room. Also, the sound picture always exists from the plane of the speakers, and behind them - never in front; the illusion is exactly what the microphones saw, that recording space is recreated in the area behind the speakers, to whatever width the sound elements "lived in" when the track was put down.

It was a remarkable sensation when I first encountered it - and made it clear what the end goal should always be ...

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Also, the sound picture always exists from the plane of the speakers, and behind them - never in front

One evening long ago I set up my SL3's for nearfield listening - about 3 feet away.

The imaging generated started inside my head, much like headphones can, but much more spacious overall.

It was unnerving, and I haven't seriously tried to repeat it. Maybe next time I move speakers around, I will.

fas42

Major Contributor
One evening long ago I set up my SL3's for nearfield listening - about 3 feet away.

The imaging generated started inside my head, much like headphones can, but much more spacious overall.

It was unnerving, and I haven't seriously tried to repeat it. Maybe next time I move speakers around, I will.
I can relate to that type of sensation, but don't experience it normally when the system works the way I aim to achieve - the sound always appears to be coming from in front of me, by some distance, depending upon how the recording was done; I can "look at the spot" where the sound element, a musician or even synthesised waveform, is located.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
We need to be talking about the same music recording here, because not all of them image the same...between, behind, forward and outside, below and above.
Some recordings use DSP compression and pedal distortion and delay and echo chamber.

Other natural acoustic recordings are better to assess our imaging analysis.

Jimi Hendrix images very well anywhere from any rooms, even in the bathroom.

Cosmik

Major Contributor
We need to be talking about the same music recording here, because not all of them image the same...between, behind, forward and outside, below and above.
Some recordings use DSP compression and pedal distortion and delay and echo chamber.

Other natural acoustic recordings are better to assess our imaging analysis.

Jimi Hendrix images very well anywhere from any rooms, even in the bathroom.
Can someone suggest a specific track for us to listen to, and we can give our impressions of the imaging?

Fitzcaraldo215

Major Contributor
Cosmik I'm not sure it's such a trivial thing. I've heard just as many systems that image well as ones that fall flat. And I'm including ATCs active towers where it sounds like the music is "glued" to the speakers. Regarding time domain most audiophile speakers measure very poorly here (if JA's step response is anything to go by), yet dozens of them image incredibly well. Maybe it's worth questioning why even with all these compromises the typical audiophile box speaker has, many of them are still capable of exceptional imaging?

While it's no myth or magical property, for me it's still something worth pursuing objectively since it makes it easier to create a list of speakers that I should hear.

While we're being subjective the speaker designs that consistently have the poorest imaging are the audiophile horn speakers (Avant-garde, Living Voice, one company doing Klipsch clone, etc). I suspect this may also be why (to borrow a term from Peter Breuninger :eek::eek: ) the "tier 1" reviewers don't include horns in the mainstream write ups.

I am not so sure that just the speaker or speaker type is all that is involved. The room and speaker placement, toe-in, etc., I think can play a huge role, which all might need to be optimized for a given speaker to have it image at its best.

I have also had occasions where a change in electronics made a substantial difference. I first noticed this on an amp upgrade I did 30 years ago. That taught me to focus much more on spatial and imaging cues in comparative auditions of equipment. I have also had that experience in upgrading my DAC more recently. These differences were quite noticeable in careful listening.

A lot of things in the system have to be right in order to deliver best imaging. So, listening for that, I find, is the single most revealing characteristic of a system's performance, since it integrates so many other performance characteristics.

But, ascribing imaging quality all to the speakers - horns, etc. - is overly simplistic, I believe.

Phelonious Ponk

Yes, speaker placement is critical.

No, I don't think the use of compression, pedal effects or even reverb/delay in reasonable quantities has much effect on imaging, though the latter can certainly help create an illusion of depth.

Specific tracks? TV's not a bad place to check. If you're getting a really solid phantom center, you're speakers are doing what they're supposed to do.

Tim

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Can someone suggest a specific track for us to listen to, and we can give our impressions of the imaging?

Something like this perhaps?
I'm sure everyone have this music album in his collection, and there are other songs too from this album that would fit well in imaging analysis.

...And this one too:

Last edited:

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Something like this perhaps?
I'm sure everyone have this music album in his collection, and there are other songs too from this album that would fit well in imaging analysis.
Over the years, I have become less and less impressed with the production on this album. I think the mixing and balancing is highly manipulated and unnatural.

Top Bottom