• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I want to buy my first streamer but I have a couple of questions.

artmis

I watch them for entertainment and certainly not for recommendations. They are also useful in bringing up products I haven’t heard of. When I see something new to me then I look them up on ASR or more reputable sites.

I also make sure not to get too caught up on perfect measurements. The bluesound doesn’t measure well compared to everything else but doubt there is an audible difference. It has all the features I want and isn’t broken.

OP
S

Seany

Well everybody's got an opinion, there are some good YouTube reviewers and some that are not good just like on forums users.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Well everybody's got an opinion, there are some good YouTube reviewers and some that are not good just like on forums users.
Being a good or bad youtube reviewer is not the same as being right or wrong about how audio equipment performs.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So I want to get a streamer so I can can use Spotify connect with my soon new integrated amp. But before I buy anything I wanted to figure out some things about streamers first. These are some amps that I'm interested in at the moment.

Denon PMA-1700NE
Rotel RA-1572 MKII
Audiolab 7000A

My concern after watching some reviews for example the Bluesound NODE and other models, the reviewers were commenting how when comparing it to another how one had better soundstage or bass. So I'm like no-way I don't want my future streamer to color or change anything about my sound signature coming from my integrated amp. Some of these streamers like the Bluesound NODE have tone controls and a bunch of other settings and options which I'm not interested in. I just want to connect to Spotify and that's it, I don't want my amp to sound any diff due to the streamer. But I want something of good quality and I don't mind paying $100-300 if need be. I saw someone mention WiiM Pro in another thread I know nothing about it but will do some research on it.

My second question if the amp already has a DAC included like the ones I've listed above have them, would all I need is a "digital audio coaxial cable" to connect the amp to the streamer is that the most desirable way to to connect in this situation ? Thanks
I have two Bluesound Nodes and Vault2 and they do not change anything about the sounds of three different systems. They are good stuff but pricey just like the ones you listed and if I were buy today (not 2017-18 when I did) WiiM Mini Sreamer for $80 lets you get into steaming with high quality sound for pittance. Plus Spotify isn't the highest sound quality streaming service although their music selection is broader than any. If you find the Wiim lacking move it to another room. Don't think you will.

OP
S

Seany

Being a good or bad youtube reviewer is not the same as being right or wrong about how audio equipment performs.

You know what I meant and everybody else does too, can we move on. I've already got my answer like 20 posts back.

OP
S

Seany

I have two Bluesound Nodes and Vault2 and they do not change anything about the sounds of three different systems. They are good stuff but pricey just like the ones you listed and if I were buy today (not 2017-18 when I did) WiiM Mini Sreamer for $80 lets you get into steaming with high quality sound for pittance. Plus Spotify isn't the highest sound quality streaming service although their music selection is broader than any. If you find the Wiim lacking move it to another room. Don't think you will.

Yeah that's the one I'm going to get WiiM.

amper42

Major Contributor

The problem is you can't expect the taste of the YouTube reviewer to match your taste. So listening to these guys is risky at best. You also don't know conflicts the reviewer may have. I made the mistake of buying a set of speakers based on several popular on-line reviewers saying how great they were. When they arrived they were the worst speakers I had ever tried and it cost me $100 to ship them back plus a 15% restocking fee. That's the hard way to learn to never use on-line reviewers to buy anything without a 100% free trial period.

While I have had better luck with ASR recommendations, there have still been times when I realized the product wasn't for me once I tested it. That's why I'm unlikely to solely use an on-line review as a reliable sales reference. If you do buy something on someone else's recommendation make sure it offers a full refund and a trial period. Otherwise, like me you may learn the hard way.

I have three Wiim Mini pucks. They work well for a UPnP wifi streamer with 3rd party apps like Audirvana and the app included with the product. It's one of the few recommendations that beats on price and audio quality plus it's totally returnable on Amazon. I also have the RPI4 with Moode. If I had to pick one, the RPI4 would be my favorite but it takes a bit of time to learn how to setup and the Wiim puck is ready to go without learning how to install RPI4 apps. Plus, RPI4 is more expensive on Amazon than when I bought mine for $50. I would try the Wiim. It's pretty hard to beat if you have a decent DAC and don't use the EQ. Plus, multiple Wiim mini's can easily stream music to multiple rooms which is a very cool feature.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah that's the one I'm going to get WiiM.
If it is close to an Ethernet source or router go for the WiiM Pro for less buffering interruptions with the cable.

amper42

Major Contributor
Never had a buffer issue with Wiim mini or RPI4 (Moode) while used with Audirvana. :)
Audirvana has a streaming cache preference that will continue playing music for 20 minutes AFTER I turn off the internet router. It's pretty amazing. Buffering interruptions don't exist.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
See this video the guy talks about the diff between these two streamers and saying that their is a sound diff starting at the 6:30 mark. If their all the same then this guy wouldn't be able to tell them apart and it's not the first time I've heard a reviewer say something similar.

Can he tell them apart reliably, blind and with controls (eg level matched)?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well you would think the streamer shouldn't change the sound in any way or the soundstage but if you watch some of these reviews when they're comparing one to another there is a little bit of a difference according. I'm at work right now so I can't really link those YouTube videos now. But I'll link one of them here tonight.
A lot of YouTubers put the stuff that's in their video available in their links that's a pretty common thing. With all this said it doesn't dismiss their opinions or advice of the products that they're reviewing. Probably 99% of you on this forum have watched these types of YouTube videos at some point.
:rolleyes: and to post #12. So is Andrew Robinson also considered a salesmen/infomercial also then ? Both these people are doing the same thing reviews and comparisons and giving their opinion on products that's what they do, it's a take it or leave situation. I mean do you guys really think I believe everything they say or what people say on forums also.

Anyway Bamyasi advice was the best and that's what I'm going for.
You seem to put far too much value in subjective reviews on youtube....let alone the issue of audio comparisons via youtube. Better soundstage and bass are usual bullshit subjective descriptors IME.

OP
S

Seany

You seem to put far too much value in subjective reviews on youtube....let alone the issue of audio comparisons via youtube. Better soundstage and bass are usual bullshit subjective descriptors IME.

No I don't, I've already said I check the reviews but I also check websites like ASR, cause we all know everybody on audio forums are cream of the crop when it comes to audio and never give wrong advice. Wrong advice can be given in any medium. Can we move on....now.

Last edited:
OP
S

Seany

If it is close to an Ethernet source or router go for the WiiM Pro for less buffering interruptions with the cable.

Yeah I might go with the pro to use the ethernet cable. Another issue I'm kind of going back and forth with is either to use a coax digital cable or Toslink cable if I go with the pro. I'm reading pros and cons about both cables.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Yeah I might go with the pro to use the ethernet cable. Another issue I'm kind of going back and forth with is either to use a coax digital cable or Toslink cable if I go with the pro. I'm reading pros and cons about both cables.
I don't know of any cons for toslink. Coax can propagate ground loops if they exist in your system.

LuvTheMusic

As other have said, if you are running the digital output from the streamer to an external DAC (whether a separate box or one built into your receiver/preamp/whatever), the sound will be the same. (Pace Sterophile and YouTube reviewers who will insist that bits are not bits,etc.)

That said, the real issues are cost, convenience, and reliability. If cost is your primary driver, the Wii device looks good (I've not used it), and surely someone has mentioned or will mention a Raspberry Pi with whatever software. If convenience and reliability are tops, scratch the Pi; the Wii likely still works, but you might also consider a used Bluesound Node -- the software is now mature, the device will index music on connected devices (such as NAS), it has a lot of control and connectivity options, and supports just about every streaming service known to humanity. (Note: Apple doesn't play well with non-iOS devices, but the Node does support AirPlay if that's a consideration.) All Nodes get periodic free software updates, mostly to support new services, as well. Again, I don't know how all this compares to the Wii, as I've not used the latter.

Most importantly, get whatever appeals to you, whatever you find convenient, simple, and intuitive. This is *not* something on which you want to save a few bucks only to be frustrated and annoyed when trying to listen to music!

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I purchased a used Mac Mini to stream music and play my ripped files. I connect it via USB into my DAC. Works well, reasonable cost, no complaints.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Why are you worried about opinions when you can have facts instead?

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Because the usability of a streamer is not solely determined by its electrical performance.
But that was not what we were talking about. And for that I'd rather refer to users.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
But that was not what we were talking about. And for that I'd rather refer to users.
????
Perhaps I was confused, but I thought this thread was about buying a streamer.

Top Bottom