• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I want to buy my first streamer but I have a couple of questions.

Seany

So I want to get a streamer so I can can use Spotify connect with my soon new integrated amp. But before I buy anything I wanted to figure out some things about streamers first. These are some amps that I'm interested in at the moment.

Denon PMA-1700NE
Rotel RA-1572 MKII
Audiolab 7000A

My concern after watching some reviews for example the Bluesound NODE and other models, the reviewers were commenting how when comparing it to another how one had better soundstage or bass. So I'm like no-way I don't want my future streamer to color or change anything about my sound signature coming from my integrated amp. Some of these streamers like the Bluesound NODE have tone controls and a bunch of other settings and options which I'm not interested in. I just want to connect to Spotify and that's it, I don't want my amp to sound any diff due to the streamer. But I want something of good quality and I don't mind paying $100-300 if need be. I saw someone mention WiiM Pro in another thread I know nothing about it but will do some research on it.

My second question if the amp already has a DAC included like the ones I've listed above have them, would all I need is a "digital audio coaxial cable" to connect the amp to the streamer is that the most desirable way to to connect in this situation ? Thanks

Last edited:

Chazz6

If you have a PC with Internet access, you can get Spotify through it. Then send the stream to a DAC via wi-fi or Ethernet cable.

The Denon LinkHS2 is an example of a box that receives wifi and outputs the signal to a DAC via coax cable or Toslink optical cable. It also has a DAC in it that outputs the analog signal via RCA jacks. The WiiM Pro is roughly similar, said to be more neutral.

These choices may be less expensive than a box marketed as a streamer.

Yes, if your amp has a built-in DAC, you can feed the signal into it.

OP
S

Seany

Well my only PC is a desktop and that is upstairs on the second floor and my audio setup is downstairs in the living room. So if I understand what your trying to say is if I had a laptop I could directly connect it to the amp via cat5 cable without the need to buy any gadget box. Well I don't have a laptop and I really just want to use just my phone to play music. So that probably means I have to buy a streamer then.

"Yes, if your amp has a built-in DAC, you can feed the signal into it."

What do you mean by that statement ?

My router is in the living room I could run a cat5 cable from it to the integrated amp, would that work with my phone then for Spotify ? or is that RJ45/ethernet jack on the back of the amp for another type application ?

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So I want to get a streamer so I can can use Spotify connect with my soon new integrated amp. But before I buy anything I wanted to figure out some things about streamers first. These are some amps that I'm interested in at the moment.

Denon PMA-1700NE
Rotel RA-1572 MKII
Audiolab 7000A

My concern after watching some reviews for example the Bluesound NODE and other models, the reviewers were commenting how when comparing it to another how one had better soundstage or bass. So I'm like no-way I don't want my future streamer to color or change anything about my sound signature coming from my integrated amp. Some of these streamers like the Bluesound NODE have tone controls and a bunch of other settings and options which I'm not interested in. I just want to connect to Spotify and that's it, I don't want my amp to sound any diff due to the streamer. But I want something of good quality and I don't mind paying $100-300 if need be. I saw someone mention WiiM Pro in another thread I know nothing about it but will do some research on it.

My second question if the amp already has a DAC included like the ones I've listed above have them, would all I need is a "digital audio coaxial cable" to connect the amp to the streamer is that the most desirable way to to connect in this situation ? Thanks
First - with a digital output to a dac - there should be no audio quality differences beteween streamers. So you can choose simply based on features you need and other factors such as quality, after sales etc.

Exception : A streamer can have tone controls if you want them. Consider it a feature. Another possibility (I think the BS Node for example) a streamer can include room equalisation. Up to you if you use it or not, but it can be very beneficial to sound quality if used correctly.

And yes - if you have digital inputs on your amp, that is the best connection to use from the streamer - so no external DAC needed..

Chazz6

PC -> router ->(wi-fi or Ethernet) audio setup.

Wi-fi and Ethernet carry digital audio (PCM is the technical abbreviation). A DAC then converts to analog audio. These days many integrated amps have a DAC. The Ethernet jack on yours probably takes digital audio input; check the documentation.

Your phone can have an app that chooses the input from Spotify and from files on your PC. BubbleUPnP is one such app, free. The phone is also on your home network, presumably via wi-fi.

Bamyasi

Denon PMA-1700NE
Rotel RA-1572 MKII
Audiolab 7000A

You can buy WiiM Mini streamer (usually priced around $80) and connect it via Toslink optical input to your amp. Or you might go for a slightly more expensive WiiM Pro ($150) which adds S/PDIF coaxial output and wired Ethernet input. Both streamers have Spotify Connect and support plethora of other streaming services as well. Use the search option on the forum to find reviews.

OP
S

Seany

PC -> router ->(wi-fi or Ethernet) audio setup.

Wi-fi and Ethernet carry digital audio (PCM is the technical abbreviation). A DAC then converts to analog audio. These days many integrated amps have a DAC. The Ethernet jack on yours probably takes digital audio input; check the documentation.

Your phone can have an app that chooses the input from Spotify and from files on your PC. BubbleUPnP is one such app, free. The phone is also on your home network, presumably via wi-fi.

I don't have any audio files on my desktop upstairs, so carrying audio through any cables is useless to me. My only thought about using a cat5 cable from my router to the amp was hoping that it would allow me to connect to the Spotify with my phone and then play my music. But those ethernet jacks can't be used in that way. I don't have a choice but to buy streamer.

OP
S

Seany

First - with a digital output to a dac - there should be no audio quality differences beteween streamers. So you can choose simply based on features you need and other factors such as quality, after sales etc.

Exception : A streamer can have tone controls if you want them. Consider it a feature. Another possibility (I think the BS Node for example) a streamer can include room equalisation. Up to you if you use it or not, but it can be very beneficial to sound quality if used correctly.

And yes - if you have digital inputs on your amp, that is the best connection to use from the streamer - so no external DAC needed..

Well you would think the streamer shouldn't change the sound in any way or the soundstage but if you watch some of these reviews when they're comparing one to another there is a little bit of a difference according. I'm at work right now so I can't really link those YouTube videos now. But I'll link one of them here tonight.

OP
S

Seany

You can buy WiiM Mini streamer (usually priced around $80) and connect it via Toslink optical input to your amp. Or you might go for a slightly more expensive WiiM Pro ($150) which adds S/PDIF coaxial output and wired Ethernet input. Both streamers have Spotify Connect and support plethora of other streaming services as well. Use the search option on the forum to find reviews.

This is probably my best option but I still need to look into it more closely. I guess the only reason to buy the more expensive streamers is that if a person's amp has a crappy internal DAC. But I think the DACs on the amps I've mentioned are considered pretty good, might as well save some money. The important thing to me is that the streamer keeps the sound the same unaltered.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This is probably my best option but I still need to look into it more closely. I guess the only reason to buy the more expensive streamers is that if a person's amp has a crappy internal DAC. But I think the DACs on the amps I've mentioned are considered pretty good, might as well save some money. The important thing to me is that the streamer keeps the sound the same unaltered.
They all do - unless you alter settings to change it.

OP
S

Seany

They all do - unless you alter settings to change it.

See this video the guy talks about the diff between these two streamers and saying that their is a sound diff starting at the 6:30 mark. If their all the same then this guy wouldn't be able to tell them apart and it's not the first time I've heard a reviewer say something similar.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
See this video the guy talks about the diff between these two streamers and saying that their is a sound diff starting at the 6:30 mark. If their all the same then this guy wouldn't be able to tell them apart and it's not the first time I've heard a reviewer say something similar.

:facepalm:

Peace.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

They are salesmen. That is an infomercial.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Reviwers say lots of things. Doesn't make it reliable evidence of anything. But, fwiw the advice from @Bamyasi is both the cheapest and likely best option. Wiim mini, toslink out to amp. Amazon sometimes reduces the price by 15 - 20 % and, if eq is disabled, is flawless.

Tassin

You could also have a look at Lyngdorf TDAI-1120. It has a streamer built-in that connects with Spotify and Tidal. Neutral sounding and comes with room correction (called RoomPerfect).

OP
S

Seany

They are salesmen. That is an infomercial.

:rolleyes: and to post #12. So is Andrew Robinson also considered a salesmen/infomercial also then ? Both these people are doing the same thing reviews and comparisons and giving their opinion on products that's what they do, it's a take it or leave situation. I mean do you guys really think I believe everything they say or what people say on forums also.

Anyway Bamyasi advice was the best and that's what I'm going for.

Last edited:

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
So is Andrew Robinson also considered a salesmen/infomercial also then ?

Sure looks like it, given all those affiliate links...

Screenshot_20230506-090909.png

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
As others have already pointed out, once you study a bit the science behind it and or ask questions here while keeping an open mind, you will find that simply speaking electronics (except where you use DSP to deliberately change sound ) are a solved problem and modern ones do not affect sound at all. Invest ca 80% of your budget and time in speakers as they contribute (next to your room) by orders of magnitude more to sound.

So choose your streamer based on features, your DAC dito plus SINAD, your amp on SINAD and power requirement and don’t worry about YouTubers.

artmis

I think anybody doing youtube that has affiliate links and ads are essentially doing it as a business. It would be fair to say they are sales people even if they aren't pushing for a specific product. In this case the product may be themselves and their "expertise" which they use to convince you to use their affiliate links.

I would recommend the bluesound node if you need eARC and maybe subwoofer out, otherwise the wiim products seems fine.

OP
S

Seany

Sure looks like it, given all those affiliate links...

View attachment 283865

A lot of YouTubers put the stuff that's in their video available in their links that's a pretty common thing. With all this said it doesn't dismiss their opinions or advice of the products that they're reviewing. Probably 99% of you on this forum have watched these types of YouTube videos at some point.

Top Bottom