• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I wanna make BIG speakers!

Prana Ferox

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The Solstice is nice but I wouldn't call it high sensitivity. And yeah, it'd be nice if the OP defined a sensitivity range they were looking for.

OP
D

Donnie2112

The Solstice is nice but I wouldn't call it high sensitivity. And yeah, it'd be nice if the OP defined a sensitivity range they were looking for.

I wasn’t necessarily married to a particular sensitivity, but I figure big means you can get sensitive and low. I figured 95 DB and 30Hz would be a good planning figure.

HammerSandwich

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe one of the Pi corner horns, as mentioned above. Freestanding speakers lose sensitivity from baffle-step compensation, so not many normal kits will meet those numbers.

It might help to have more details about planned speaker/room layout, listening distance, etc. If you're likely to see a bunch of room gain, your requirements might be more like 95dB above 50Hz, which will open up your options.

There are some 95dB dome tweeters out there, but you should look at horns. @mitchco's JBL 4722s are exactly what you're talking about (2x 15" woofers & a 30"-wide horn above 600Hz, giving 104dB to 40Hz), so consider pairing a proven horn with a big, DIY woofer bin.

Active speakers with DSP crossovers offer a lot of advantages, and that's what I'd recommend if you can't find a passive kit you like.

OP
D

Donnie2112

Maybe one of the Pi corner horns, as mentioned above. Freestanding speakers lose sensitivity from baffle-step compensation, so not many normal kits will meet those numbers.

It might help to have more details about planned speaker/room layout, listening distance, etc. If you're likely to see a bunch of room gain, your requirements might be more like 95dB above 50Hz, which will open up your options.

There are some 95dB dome tweeters out there, but you should look at horns. @mitchco's JBL 4722s are exactly what you're talking about (2x 15" woofers & a 30"-wide horn above 600Hz, giving 104dB to 40Hz), so consider pairing a proven horn with a big, DIY woofer bin.

Active speakers with DSP crossovers offer a lot of advantages, and that's what I'd recommend if you can't find a passive kit you like.

The room is a basement space, I haven’t gotten out my measuring tape, but besides the entry door way it’s probably about 16x30 foot space. It has a 9 foot drop ceiling with insulation above, carpet with a vapor barrier layer underneath, big sectional in the space, exterior style doors in the back, dry wall all the way around the room. Very dead space.

I want to basically start with a 2 channel system imbedded into a theater. Right now the theater is a 7.1. I figure upgrading the front stereo pair is the first and most important step after I got the OLED.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Got it. Bigger room with home theater requires more output from speaker. If not used for critical music listening, would go with DIYsoundgroup kits that @peanuts mentioned. If want something more musical, a speaker like the Statements from speakerdesignworks should work, but will need more power to drive them than the designs using more sensitive sound reinforcement drivers. What do you plan to use for amplification?

Also, how many subwoofers will you include?

Last edited:

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I famously dislike the sound of every horn loudspeaker I've ever encountered, but this is a horn system I have always been curious to try. Just never had the money. :D
Only the HF is horn loaded. I'm not sure the listed components are still available from JBL pro. Or alternatives. Expensive, yes. But in the scheme of tweako hi-fi it's average. Or, as Drew put it:

Your buddy's 7-foot tall Acoustats are going to sound like a $4 transistor radio next to [this] system, so stop biting your nails and write the check.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Me too. But I've seen reports on PFM and DIYA about poorly designed crossovers.

Might end up getting a pair when I retire and have a go at my own crossover.
I was going to do an active version with DSP crossover but I have a massive "can't be arsed" condition at my age, and am pretty happy with what i have.
I already have a pair of ProAc EBS I had thought I would make active and update the tweeter but really would rather spend the time listening to music I like on what I have already got!

Neddy

The room is a basement space, I haven’t gotten out my measuring tape, but besides the entry door way it’s probably about 16x30 foot space. It has a 9 foot drop ceiling with insulation above, carpet with a vapor barrier layer underneath, big sectional in the space, exterior style doors in the back, dry wall all the way around the room. Very dead space.

I want to basically start with a 2 channel system imbedded into a theater. Right now the theater is a 7.1. I figure upgrading the front stereo pair is the first and most important step after I got the OLED.

Re: DIY large format JBLs, in case you weren't aware of it, there a lot of posts on that topic over at Lansing Heritage.

Also, I just built a JBL speaker clone as an equipment rack (disguised as a speaker), and even though it looked pretty simple, it was a real challenge to build, so bring your woodworking A game for sure if you want something pretty nice looking.
I used 'retail' veneered plywood - if I were to do it again, I'd use marine plywood and do the veneer myself.

Buying empty cabinets would for sure be faster and cheaper, tho shipping might be an issue.

Also, re DSP xovers, my experience with that has been great.
I went that route when I upgraded to current tech woofers (2216ND) in my old JBLs, and - a year later - am still amazed at how good they sound (and nearly flat to 20hz, so subs not all that necessary). (I did retain the JBL MF-HF passive crossovers, partly b/c I had them already, and was cheaper than tri-amping, and conferred DC blocking protection to the HF.)

Lots of choices, lots and lots of resources to read up on and for guidance - have fun with it!!

gene_stl

Forum Donor
Before you get out your wallet read Floyd Toole's book and also Martin Collums book.

If I was starting from scratch today(and listening to the music you described) and I wanted BIG,, I would get JBL 4367s, and bi amp them With Crown amps with the DSP inputs. Or if you are a sport financially JBL M2. End of story.

Neddy

Before you get out your wallet read Floyd Toole's book and also Martin Collums book.

If I was starting from scratch today(and listening to the music you described) and I wanted BIG,, I would get JBL 4367s, and bi amp them With Crown amps with the DSP inputs. Or if you are a sport financially JBL M2. End of story.

Definitely.

My friends' thread on DIY M2 builds, for easy reference:
http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?37659-Project-M2-DIY-Thread

I've heard them - absolutely kick ass. One big difference from mine is the weirdly flat dispersion, ie, very little variation from one listening position to another.

Prana Ferox

The DIYSG Titans are popular for your basic 2 channel setups

f0NUi5v.jpg

.. and work well when upgrading to a HT surround setup

1586105551747.png

... although to keep up with their efficiency, you may find you need a little more subwoofer than you expected. The newer, larger version is expected out soon.

Last edited:

Mocs123

Forum Donor
Check out diysoundgroup.com. They have kits that are well thought of in the HT world, some pretty big ones to including the Titans and 1299's. I have been wanting to build some HTM-10's for some time and never have done it.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@Donnie2112 you could try DIY Sound Group, who sell a number of big DIY speaker kits including this one and this one, for example (although the latter seems to be out of stock atm).

Browse through their "home theater kits", that's where the bigger speakers seem to reside.

I haven't heard/measured any of these btw.

OP
D

Donnie2112

Got it. Bigger room with home theater requires more output from speaker. If not used for critical music listening, would go with DIYsoundgroup kits that @peanuts mentioned. If want something more musical, a speaker like the Statements from speakerdesignworks should work, but will need more power to drive them than the designs using more sensitive sound reinforcement drivers. What do you plan to use for amplification?

Also, how many subwoofers will you include?

Currently I’m just using my Yamaha receiver, and I have a single sub, it’s a Paradigm 12” unit.

I would like the option to bi-amp. I have a friend who built me a Scott 222C that I use for my vintage two channel system, he does pretty ridiculous things to MC30s but I would obviously want more power below 100hz.

Top Bottom