• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I upgraded my computer CPU and other components. Now it sounds better. Why?

Why does my upgraded computer (new CPU, new motherboard, new memory) sound better?

• Intel CPUs/motherboards deliver purer bits to external DACs than old AMD stuff

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • You moved your desk slightly, so your speaker/room interaction is different

Votes: 6 10.2%
  • I don't know, but I completely believe you because everything matters

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • The sound didn't change, you are imagining it

Votes: 44 74.6%
  • Other? Specify in comments

Votes: 6 10.2%

• Total voters

narx

When intel was cool, I would always end up with AMD builds. Now that AMD is cool, my last couple builds have been Intel.

Yes, massive CPU improvement. Playing my current recording project was pegging the cpu at 100% and glitching even with a large buffer (and noticable delay). Now it's peaking at 20% playing the same project with 4ms delay. Crazy.

Are you hearing it on playback of recorded music or just on your own projects?

If you’re pushing the system to the limit with realtime processing in your DAW, you might actually be hearing something real. Different DAWs will fail in different ways when your CPU runs out of resources - some will simply stop playing entirely and tell you to turn up the buffer or turn off some realtime processing. Some (Ableton Live for example) will start audibly glitching but not necessarily stop playback entirely.

Last edited:

Robin L

Master Contributor
Aliens-5ad4ee9231283400363d13c4.jpg

BluesDaddy

If you’re pushing the system to the limit with realtime processing in your DAW, you might actually be hearing something real. Different DAWs will fail in different ways when your CPU runs out of resources - some will simply stop playing entirely and tell you to turn up the buffer or turn off some realtime processing. Some (Ableton Live for example) will start audibly glitching but not necessarily stop playback entirely.
He's not describing "glitching" or buffer issues, but that the treble is "clearer", among other things.

narx

He's not describing "glitching" or buffer issues, but that the treble is "clearer", among other things.

Yeah. It’s unlikely. But, for example, there are plugins that have different user-selectable “quality“ settings to allow you to manually adjust the prioritization of dsp precision vs realtime performance. And there’s plenty of asshole design out there. It doesn’t seem out of the question to me that someone would have thought it was a good idea to, say, design a plugin that would automatically reduce the algorithm complexity under a heavy load rather than fail more obviously. If OP had a plugin on, say, the vocal track that was doing that, then it could explain what they’re hearing.

But, yeah, it’s more likely they’re imagining it.

D

Deleted member 28849

I read about the i7, not that I understand what I read but the audio soundcard from an i7 should be good. With my i7 however I send audio by usb to an external dac. I did notice my media player sounded better when I changed usb output to dvd quality 48K.

OP
LightninBoy

LightninBoy

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Excellent point here. I reflected on this a bit more yesterday and recalled the sequence of tests I did after I finally got Windows to boot (long, stressful story for a different forum).

The first thing I did was to fire up my DAW (Reaper) and my current recording project which was the catalyst for this upgrade. Its probably 20 tracks including 2 sample heavy midi tracks. Lots of other plugins on other tracks for doubled guitars with amp sims and cab sims, etc. On the old CPU, there was audible glitching even with large buffer and several frozen tracks. CPU was constantly pegged. Anyways, after the upgrade I played this back first in the DAW and its where I perceived the sound improvement (above and beyond the lack of glitches).

I then opened up and played some standard recorded music, both my own and professional tracks. I thought I heard improvement there too, but was less confident.

Honestly, I think the difference I hear in the DAW playback is probably real due to the realtime processing. While the improvement in the standard playback was likely just imagined and influenced by the DAW playback results.

Freeway

Could not a change of API, implementation of audio drivers or OS cause a change? Who knows what goes on in the mind of a computer? I don't trust it, much like Hi-Res streaming. Then again you said it sounds different/better.
On a more realistic note, it's probably due to all the Synergistic ECTs and cabling used inside. You know your new PC case is just a modified Black Box. How much did you say it costs??

Last edited:

MRC01

Major Contributor
I've seen cases where the computer wasn't giving the audio system the CPU time it needed, causing glitches in audio. These can range from obvious to subtle, depending on the situation. Here's an example I ran into a while back:
Dirty
Clean

OP
LightninBoy

LightninBoy

I've seen cases where the computer wasn't giving the audio system the CPU time it needed, causing glitches in audio. These can range from obvious to subtle, depending on the situation. Here's an example I ran into a while back:
Dirty
Clean

Wow. I think that's it. Can you give a little more background on how these two clips were created and what was different?

OP
LightninBoy

LightninBoy

My case has bequiet fans. They are practically inaudible.

I probably should look into this as a future upgrade. The nice thing about the computer fan noise, though, is that it makes the monitor hiss a non issue. :)

OP
LightninBoy

LightninBoy

I wrote it up in more detail here. It's specific to Ubuntu, don't know whether the methods apply to MacOS or Windows.

Thank you! Oddly, the first couple times I listened to those, the actual noise wasn't obvious to me. Instead, I perceived the noise as being part of the instrument and it sounded grungy during the peaks. I turned up a bit, and then I heard the distinct noise and now that's all I hear.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I probably should look into this as a future upgrade. The nice thing about the computer fan noise, though, is that it makes the monitor hiss a non issue. :)

I use, and recommend, the Noctua Redux fans. They're are extremely quiet and the redux versions are cheaper and they're grey, rather than beige and brown of the standard fans. I added red silicone shock absorbing mounts to the ones in my PC...

20190709_193229 (Small).jpg

narx

Excellent point here. I reflected on this a bit more yesterday and recalled the sequence of tests I did after I finally got Windows to boot (long, stressful story for a different forum).

The first thing I did was to fire up my DAW (Reaper) and my current recording project which was the catalyst for this upgrade. Its probably 20 tracks including 2 sample heavy midi tracks. Lots of other plugins on other tracks for doubled guitars with amp sims and cab sims, etc. On the old CPU, there was audible glitching even with large buffer and several frozen tracks. CPU was constantly pegged. Anyways, after the upgrade I played this back first in the DAW and its where I perceived the sound improvement (above and beyond the lack of glitches).

I then opened up and played some standard recorded music, both my own and professional tracks. I thought I heard improvement there too, but was less confident.

Honestly, I think the difference I hear in the DAW playback is probably real due to the realtime processing. While the improvement in the standard playback was likely just imagined and influenced by the DAW playback results.

Could be any number of things happening with the session...

Have you verified that all of the plugins are installed and authorized? Some plugins will pass the DAW's scanning process but not actually work until you open an instance, authorize it, and then reopen the session.

Also, given that you're using the most configurable DAW in the known universe, there are a lot of manually accessible settings that could be relevant (although they probably aren't). For example, pan laws and realtime resampling quality.

My experience has been that it usually takes a bit of troubleshooting to get a session to 100% recall on a new system. With complex sessions with many tracks, plugins, and virtual instruments there are so many things that could cause something to change when opening it on a different system. Maybe a new version of a plugin didn't load the settings right. Maybe a preset folder didn't get installed on the new system. It's really not hard to imagine something not being exactly the same.

Listening back to recorded tracks on the new system on the other hand... I mean... maybe you've got a software setting different somewhere, but you're probably just imagining it.

Enjoy the new computer!

D

Deleted member 28849

Inside my case:
IMG-20200705-145214.jpg

I have since added more RAM and SSDs.

I have the same cooling assembly on my i7. Recently my hard drive quit and I had to buy a new one. I had a heck of a time getting my computer back up and running. Mainly cause I didn't know what I was doing just going by trial an error. Then I couldn't get the power wire to stay on the power pins (need new harness wires). In the future some day will probably need new motherboard as mine is an earlier version of i7. Also upgraded graphics card, not the best but better than what I had, much better for gaming and watching movies.

OP
LightninBoy

LightninBoy

Could be any number of things happening with the session...

Have you verified that all of the plugins are installed and authorized? Some plugins will pass the DAW's scanning process but not actually work until you open an instance, authorize it, and then reopen the session.

This was probably the biggest PIA and stressful upgrade I've ever had because of all the damn plugins. Made a list of all my expensive/critical ones and researched the deactivation/activation process. I think I got them all. Now I see why folks activate to a USB stick. (But no, iLok, I'm not buying your freakin $50 usb stick!!)

Listening back to recorded tracks on the new system on the other hand... I mean... maybe you've got a software setting different somewhere, but you're probably just imagining it. Enjoy the new computer!

Agreed and thanks!

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
A while back I changed my music server (apple itunes to Raspberry Pi/Logitech). I could have sworn the sound changed. The new server sounded a bit more bright and brittle. It bugged me since as far as I know, this doesn't make technical sense. So I had a friend come over and help me do randomized blind testing between the two servers. Result: Once I didn't know which server I was listening to, there was nothing I could find to identify a difference between them. No brightness or brittleness signature at all.

After which I just relaxed, enjoyed my system, and realized it sounds the same as it ever did.

Just adding something to contemplate :-0

Top Bottom