• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I need HP amp recommendation for my susvara

asahi.

Hi, this is my very first post here so pls tell me if I'm violating any rules.

So I recently bought a pair of susvara, which I've really dreamed of. But my setup kinda seems underwhelming. Probably because I've used smsl m400-sp400 setup(which is balanced with pumped up voltage) back when I've tried loaner units, and now I'm using chord qutest(3V)-smsl sp400. Since my go-to genre is classics, which needs more power in general, I thought maybe it's time to search for a new hotness. A70 Pro from topping is in my consideration. If there's any other viable amp, pls don't be hesitant to enlighten me! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
As the Susvara's are only 60-Ohms, would not need a lot of voltage.

Last edited:

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi, this is my very first post here so pls tell me if I'm violating any rules.

So I recently bought a pair of susvara, which I've really dreamed of. But my setup kinda seems underwhelming. Probably because I've used smsl m400-sp400 setup(which is balanced with pumped up voltage) back when I've tried loaner units, and now I'm using chord qutest(3V)-smsl sp400. Since my go-to genre is classics, which needs more power in general, I thought maybe it's time to search for a new hotness. A70 Pro from topping is in my consideration. If there's any other viable amp, pls don't be hesitant to enlighten me! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Hello and welcome :)

Congrats on your purchase - hope you enjoy it.

If you post these questions under Headphone Amplifier Reviews & Discussion section of the forum, you'd probably get better traction with answers.

I would consider getting a new amp for 2 reasons; a. if the headphones are not getting as loud as they should due to lack of power in the amp and b. if I want a fancy new headphone amp to go with my fancy new headphone.s

For reason a, I think you should be OK with SP400. You have the amp and the cans, so you can try and check if you can go as high as you want. If not A70Pro should be able to drive it fine power wise. There were talks about some QC issues with A70 Pro when they first came out, best to make sure you can get a replacement unit fast in case you go that route. A90 /A90 Discrete would be a safe bet power wise as well.

For sake of performance, I don't think you need to spend more than that. If you are not only after performance but want some jewellery value too, I would suggest to check out Violectric range, maybe the lovely HPA V550. But that is only one option, in this product category of no price performance correlation, you of course have a lot more options :)

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The kingpin of all Susvara reviews and the amplifiers that drive them best is here. Well worth it if you're shopping for an amplifier for those.

OP
asahi.

asahi.

Hello and welcome :)

Congrats on your purchase - hope you enjoy it.

If you post these questions under Headphone Amplifier Reviews & Discussion section of the forum, you'd probably get better traction with answers.

I would consider getting a new amp for 2 reasons; a. if the headphones are not getting as loud as they should due to lack of power in the amp and b. if I want a fancy new headphone amp to go with my fancy new headphone.s

For reason a, I think you should be OK with SP400. You have the amp and the cans, so you can try and check if you can go as high as you want. If not A70Pro should be able to drive it fine power wise. There were talks about some QC issues with A70 Pro when they first came out, best to make sure you can get a replacement unit fast in case you go that route. A90 /A90 Discrete would be a safe bet power wise as well.

For sake of performance, I don't think you need to spend more than that. If you are not only after performance but want some jewellery value too, I would suggest to check out Violectric range, maybe the lovely HPA V550. But that is only one option, in this product category of no price performance correlation, you of course have a lot more options :)
Thx for your detailed suggestion! I was just kinda anxious bout the power output would might be good enough, so I think I don't really need the violectric amps. If my anxiety turns out to be true, I'll definitely consider buying a70 pro.

OP
asahi.

asahi.

The kingpin of all Susvara reviews and the amplifiers that drive them best is here. Well worth it if you're shopping for an amplifier for those.
Woah, this is damn long. I'll check it out thoroughly. Thanks!

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thx for your detailed suggestion! I was just kinda anxious bout the power output would might be good enough, so I think I don't really need the violectric amps. If my anxiety turns out to be true, I'll definitely consider buying a70 pro.
I own a $25 battery powered portable headphone amplifier.
And it could drive the 60-Ohm Susvara headphones.
The same amplifier, at maximum volume, can decently drive 250-Ohm (Beyer) headphones.
So can't really say it a power (voltage) issue (IMHO).

Top Bottom