• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need advice for DAC + Amp to power my desktop speakers

buddybubble

Hi,

I am currently using a Fiio E10k Olympus 2 DAC connected to my PC (Spotify) via USB as an input to a SMSL Q5 Pro amp to power my two Q Acoustics 3010i speakers. This is quite an old setup and the audio quality leaves a bit to be desired but I am not sure which part to focus on for improvements. I would like to keep the speakers as I think I would probably see the biggest improvements by switching out the DAC and AMP?
I think the DAC is still ok so probably the Amp should be the first to go. Looking for any recommendations to improve my setup, I'd be willing to spend around 300€ for DAC / Amp.
I listen to all kinds of music (metal, techno, jazz and anything in between..) so it should not be leaning too much towards any specialization, if thats of any concern at that pricepoint at all.

escape2

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi,

the audio quality leaves a bit to be desired
Can you be more specific? What exactly do you not like?

Looking for any recommendations to improve my setup, I'd be willing to spend around 300€ for DAC / Amp.
If you don't have one already, I think I'd put that money towards a powered sub.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
If you don't have one already, I think I'd put that money towards a powered sub.
No kidding - the 3010i is a 4" job specified to go down to 65 Hz at -6 dB. That's actually not bad for a passive 4", but full range it is not exactly.

I would also want a measurement mic to use with REW (the idea being developing an EQ to use with Equalizer APO). Unfortunately the trusty UMIK-1 is a tad expensive here in Euroland (139€ or something), one may be better off with the combination of a passive XLR job (e.g. Behringer ECM-8000 plus cable) and a basic (possibly used) audio interface. (I'm seeing a bunch of used M-Audio M-Track Duos on the 'bay, something like that ought to do. Mind you, the M-Track Solo isn't exactly breaking the bank brand new either. Thomann also has a sale on the Focusrite Scarlett Solo right now, with one of those plus an XLR cable - e.g. Cordial CCM 2.5 FM - you'd still be under the UMIK-1 price.)

Speaker placement may leave some room for improvement as well - please post a photo of the setup.

OP
B

buddybubble

Can you be more specific? What exactly do you not like?
It sounds a bit flat, the music sounds kind of boring. It's hard for me to describe but it feels like it's missing depth.

I dont have one, could you recommend one that would play nice with my speakers and falls somewhere in the same price point?

Speaker placement may leave some room for improvement as well - please post a photo of the setup.
I'm sorry I can't post a pic right now but both speakers sit on the far ends of my desk (190cm width, facing me)

I realize I haven't mentioned that before, but this is supposed to be a small setup for my homeoffice (~12m²) where I like to listen to some music while working.

Last edited:

escape2

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I dont have one, could you recommend one that would play nice with my speakers and falls somewhere in the same price point?
In the US, I would take a look at something like Emotiva SE12 or SE8 or SVS SB1000, but I know you're not in the US and I'm not sure what's available there. Maybe someone else can chime in with recommendations.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
It sounds a bit flat, the music sounds kind of boring. It's hard for me to describe but it feels like it's missing depth.
I won't be one bit surprised if the setup is rather light on bass.
There's some decent choice among 8-10" subs in the 250-300€ price bracket, unfortunately that means you'd still have to set it up by ear though, which is pretty hopeless. I might give the inexpensive Edifier T5 (ca. 150€) plus a measurement setup as discussed above a shot.
I'm sorry I can't post a pic right now but both speakers sit on the far ends of my desk (190cm width, facing me)
That's one wiiii-ide stereo triangle, even by my standards.

Are the tweeters roughly at ear height at least? I have yet to find any speakers that sound good when placed directly on top of a desk. Thankfully the choice among affordable desk stands has much improved in the last 15 years... I'm still using the ones that my dad and I built back then.

Top Bottom